Replacement Floor Mat (drivers side only)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Replacement Floor Mat (drivers side only)

Hi there,

I wore thru the OEM carpet on the driver's side of my 2001.5 GLX Sedan after about 2.5 years. I purchased the rubberized custom mats from the dealer and again have worn thru the driver's side. All 3 of the other mats from both sets are in great shape, as I am usually alone.

Is there anywhere to purchase just a driver's side mat that would match the rubber one (weathertech, I believe) or the original OEM mats? I can only find them in sets of 4, or occasionally in pairs (2 front mats).

Anyone drive from the passenger seat and wanna swap?

Thanks very much,

Mike

2001.5 GLX Sedan Indigo/Tan 120K miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    IMO, that is the million-dollar question!

Driver mats wear out SO much faster than the rest, but they still sell the f'ing mats in sets of two or four. Let me know what you come up with, I'm sure there are tons of people with the same issue.

1st Gear
    One of the reasons that the mat companies sell in pairs is the color match issue. It's very likely that a single replacement mat will not match the other oem mat in color and, maybe, texture, even if its black. Lots of people would probably complain to the company so they sell only in pairs to avoid the hassles. When I bought replacement front mats, the company I dealt with cut the anchor holes in the wrong places in the driver's side mat. Instead of just sending me a replacement driver side mat, they sent a complete set so I "wouldnt have to deal with the color variations.

1st Gear
    Sounds like you need the Rubber Monster Mats, they're very thick. If you go through those you'll need stop wearing metal cleats for driving shoes.

6th Gear
    The old design of the Monster Mats sucked--all looks and no performance. The ridges literally come right off the base within a couple months. Apparently the new ones are better, though. YMMV

Weathertechs are rock-freaking-solid, though. I'm getting ready to buy a front set myself.

4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
    In 1993 I bought a set of rubber *Pant Saver* style mats at Woolco ( I have seen the same at WalMart etc and I have had that one set in every vehicle since and there is no wear. I see them in sets of 2 for the front for less than $20

They clean up nice and last forever.

3rd Gear
    I got a pair of German OEM black rubber mats from a vw dealer on e-bay. They have the tabs and fit just like they should, they even have a vw on them. I think I got a set of 4 for about 35 bucks and haven't worn through yet after about a year...so far. I went through 2 sets of monster mats!!!
    Last edited by ursuspolaris; 09-23-2005 at 02:05 PM.

Neutral
    Great replies, thanks!!

I'll check around and post back with what I end up with.

Mike

Neutral

Can you patch it?

I read a post (on tdiclub.com?) about a guy who took his original DS mat to an uphostery shop and had them sew a color-matched rubberized vinyl square over the heel-hole he made at the pedals. Sounded like a good idea to me.....

3rd Gear
    I bought a pair here for $30 shipped, and of course I am wearing out only one. They are Audi mats but fit pretty good.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information