Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

K&N air filters...

7K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  sheez73 
#1 ·
how many of you guys use the K&N panel filter?

are they any good? are they worth the $50? and have they caused you any probs?

if nothing is to be gained, should i just stick with OEM air filters?

thanks for any input :thumbup:

#30 ·
crew217 said:
change = clean . . . . however . . . the more you clean it, the more you'll wear out the cotton element and more particles will be allowed to pass.

Methinks you like the greasy oily substance on thou MAF.
You don't even know how soaked up my K&N was when I cleaned it 2-3 years ago......my MAF was fine (over 40-50k). Suprised cause MAF is a normal issue with these cars anyways.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#31 ·
crew217 said:
ERRRRRRRR come again? Who designs a chip with a K&N in mind? Or are you just referring to the notion that they can sell you a $50 filter after they've taken $500 of your money for a chip.
Crew,

I believe Neuspeed, APR, GIAC, Wett, and Upsolute come to mind. Have you not been reading these boards for the last few years?? And they recommend not only sell. K&N can be bought in many places. UPsolute,OTOH, sells that non oem fit Pipercross or whatever it's called. I wouldn't recommend that at all as it doesn't fit...

#32 ·
SilverFlash said:
Crew,

I believe Neuspeed, APR, GIAC, Wett, and Upsolute come to mind. Have you not been reading these boards for the last few years?? And they recommend not only sell. K&N can be bought in many places. UPsolute,OTOH, sells that non oem fit Pipercross or whatever it's called. I wouldn't recommend that at all as it doesn't fit...
You buy into marketing too much. If you knew what a pipercross was, you'd remember that it fit like crap and the seals tore easily. Must be nice thinking your airfilter gives +10hp

Dave

#33 ·
crew217 said:
You buy into marketing too much. If you knew what a pipercross was, you'd remember that it fit like crap and the seals tore easily. Must be nice thinking your airfilter gives +10hp

Dave
if they advertise it then it must be true :poke:

in pep boys they have a exhaust tip that adds 5-7hp......not as much as a type-r sticker but i guess all imaginary gains are worth it

#37 ·
crew217 said:

Dave
Mine gives at least 25hp more with the filter...

#40 ·
All of this K&N filter talk made me clean mine today. Sure the filter is 50 or so bucks, and the recharge kit is 15 (Can), so factor that into the cost...

Removed the "snow screen" as it was mostly clogged with bugs and sand... There was cand in the bottom of my air box too; due to my Colorado intake.

The intake side was nice and clean, not even a spec of dust in there! So I figured it was fine to remove the screen.

But Dyno for filter recharging... zero difference from when dirty! But I do recall a but dyno improvement from stock dirty paper filter!

Cheers,

Malcolm

#41 ·
Had one now for 35000 miles, cleaned every 15-20000. No MAF issues (knock on wood). My trick for cleaning is I have the old paper element (not that dirty considering it only saw 5k). I pull the K&N and put in the paper filter. Clean and let the K&N dry for a week or so before putting back in.

That said, I don't think it actually gives me a benefit other than less fequent changes. Expensewise, its probably more expensive long term. However, as far as filtration goes, it does fine and I can prove it. I had a used oil analysis b/c of concerns about the filtration and the silicon (a measure of air filtration - from grit in the air) levels came back nice and low.

#42 ·
Hi,

I had a 98 GTI-VR6 which had 158,000 miles on it 99.8% was with a K/N air filter. I had no issues. Only once did I have to clean the trottle body, which was not a big deal. Ather 8 years of ownership and changing oil every 3,000 miles and cleaning and recharging my K/N filter instead of buying a new paper one (every 3,000). I saved alot of money!

Thanks
Sheez73

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.