Replacement Support Strut for Hood?

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Replacement Support Strut for Hood?

5th Gear

Replacement Support Strut for Hood?

My hood strut died: dang the hood is heavy when there's no help lifting it.

According to Elcats, the OEM p/n is 3B0-823-359-C. Impex sells it for $44.20.

Has anyone found an aftermarket hood strut that fits the B5.5 1.8T? It'd be nice to save a few $, or get "more strut" for the buck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    not covered under your 4 year 48k warranty?

5th Gear
    not covered under your 4 year 48k warranty? ECS has it for $30 i think . . .

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    I've got a 2001.5... 2/24 b2b +10/100 powertrain. The b2b lasted me 11 months! (I average 25k miles per year).

ECS's Passat Hood Strut is $43.95 ...better. Their golf hood strut is $30.

5th Gear
    btw, the hood weighs about 46 lbs. in case you're wondering (measure on my semi-accurate bathroom scale.)

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by HermanH
    btw, the hood weighs about 46 lbs. in case you're wondering (measure on my semi-accurate bathroom scale.)
    :biglaugh:

4th Gear
    Funny. Mine just went out too on my 2001.5. I guess they are on a timer. I'm hoping my masterguard warranty will pay for it.

1st Gear
    www.1stvwparts.com sells it for $33.50

5th Gear
    Can you show a link to the hood strut at 1stvwparts? I can't find one listed for the Passat under "catalog" --> "hood" --> "lift cylinder". (They do have the tailgate ones for $26.57 ea, however).

1st Gear
    Clickon, oem parts catalog, enter year & make, COLLISION, search, model, hood, hood & components, strut. You have a 2001.5 right? If you enter 2001 the strut is for 98-01 and cost $40.74. If you enter 2002 the strut is for 01-03 and cost $33.50. You can also, just enter the vw part number and it shows the discription and price. I believe
    you need the one for $33.50.

Tom

5th Gear
    aaaah... "collision", not "maintenance".

Neutral
    passatworld comes through again. i know its an old post, but thanks guys. exactly what i was looking for.

2nd Gear
    How do you install it?

4th Gear
    As I said in a similar thread I bought one off Ebay and it was dried up and nearly frozen, and a replacement works but has already begun (about 3 weeks old) to groan when opening. I paid 20 something dollars. If I had it to do over again (and probably will soon) I'd spring for the nice shiny $40 one and be done with it for another 5 years and 6 months.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by tuolumne View Post
    How do you install it?

iirc, you pop off a C-shaped plastic clip, then they come right off a ball/socket arrangement.
    Last edited by l5gcw0b; 12-06-2007 at 03:24 AM.

Neutral
    Thanks for all this (though this post is so old, most of you might be dead by now =| ). Yeah yeah, its old (2000 B5) but only 105,000 miles on it on it so keeping it going. Plus I live in Boston and it just handled a crap winter splendidly. Funny the hood stayed up (residual oil in the strut probably was frozen) but now that it is warmer (>20 Farenheit !) the hood falls down.

Neutral
    Lisle 44870 Miscellaneous - Mechanics Tools

This hood lift support clamp has done the trick for me for awhile now. Cheap, practical, temporary solution...

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rrass View Post
    Thanks for all this (though this post is so old, most of you might be dead by now =| ). Yeah yeah, its old (2000 B5) but only 105,000 miles on it on it so keeping it going. Plus I live in Boston and it just handled a crap winter splendidly. Funny the hood stayed up (residual oil in the strut probably was frozen) but now that it is warmer (>20 Farenheit !) the hood falls down.
    2kpassat1.8t and chefro like this.

Neutral
    Mine gave out on me over the winter as well. It's a bit annoying carrying around some vice grips when I need to open the hood. But it should be cheap to replace.

5th Gear
    Been there ... done that on my 1996 A4 and my elder son's 2002 A4. Quick, painless, relatively inexpensive repair -- the kind we like. I think they go out earlier on Audis than on Passats because the Audi grille is part of the bonnet, which puts additional load on the strut. I think I got one at Napa and the other at ECS, both in upper $30s.

Neutral
    Should I be worried that the clip holding the strut to the ball pin (If I have this right), will break while removing the old strut? A strut from ECS does not seem to come with a new clip.

Overdrive
    Clip didn't break for me. Went to Pep Boys at the end of the block, said "Gimmie a hood strut for a 2000 Passat" Walked home and put it on. Whole process, including the walk, took fifteen minutes.
    Urlik likes this.

3rd Gear
    New strut should come with a clip. Otherwise it's a major pain to swap it.

Neutral
    Scotts13 - how long ago did you replace yours? I have an Autozone nearby but assumed there was no way they would stock one.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    Clip didn't break for me. Went to Pep Boys at the end of the block, said "Gimmie a hood strut for a 2000 Passat" Walked home and put it on. Whole process, including the walk, took fifteen minutes.

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Not even the dealer carries the chrome strut, you're stuck with a ghetto spec black strut from now on.
    VAGguy likes this.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by rrass View Post
    Scotts13 - how long ago did you replace yours? I have an Autozone nearby but assumed there was no way they would stock one.
    Year and a half, two years maybe. They had a fitment book, it wasn't "just for" a B5 Passat specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    I would have bought an oem one....

My b5.5 is still just "holding" up. The hatch struts are getting tired though.
    Glutton for Punishment: 13 CC Sport Plus, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T (crushed)

1st Gear
    I bought a strong arm strut this winter, havent had much time under the hood yet but its working so far. and as others mentioned it was the easiest thing ever.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Less than 20 bucks and 2 day shipping with my amazon prime account.

We will see how durable it is this spring as I plan to be under the hood alot.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    I would have bought an oem one....
    You know me - I'm "Mr. OEM." But in this case, the replacement part was non-critical, nearby, and about 1/3 the price. And since the VW replacement didn't match the original shiny one anyway...

I'm glad you took it that way. I agree. Non critical parts (to me almost anything besides drivetrain) can be aftermarket
    chefro and cchief22 like this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 13 CC Sport Plus, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T (crushed)

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information