Leaking sunroof...wet passenger carpet
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Leaking sunroof...wet passenger carpet

Well my subject basically describes my problem. VW has already replaces my drain pipe for the sunroof once but the other day I noticed that my passenger carpet is once again getting drenched!!! Anyone else have this problem yet with the 2001's??? I am taking the car in again this Monday to have it fixed and the carpet replaced but hell, it could happen again and it's not fun having a smelly wet interior.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Yeah, not to mention it screws your ccm over too!

Fore!
    Two possibilities I can think of.

1) Water is leaking in around the air filter assembly for the a/c system, because of leaves clogging the drains in the engine bay. Take off the chamber cover, look inside under the battery where the two drain holes are. If you remove the battery you can totally clear out the drains with certainty.

2) There was some residual water from the leaking sunroof which was sitting in your heating ducts and made its way out after you drove up a steep hill or parked your car on a steep hill or incline. (my own theory)

This same thing happened to me. I managed to fix the sunroof drain myself, and I got a little water in the back a few days later, with no rain.hasn't come back. Today will be the true test since its pouring rain as we speak.

Neutral

Water Leak- passenger side

My wife and I have the same problem with a 2001- I've lifted up the carpet on the passenger side and taken out 3+ gallons of water. I do not see water leaking from the CCM and have the dehumidifier runnign full blast. Desperate for a solution. I assume I could recreate the problem with a water hose, anyone tried this. Glub Glub, drip,drip, Is this a warranty item?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC4ever
    1) Water is leaking in around the air filter assembly for the a/c system, because of leaves clogging the drains in the engine bay. Take off the chamber cover, look inside under the battery where the two drain holes are. If you remove the battery you can totally clear out the drains with certainty.
    Definitely check this, it's been the cause of many leaks over time.

Also, Sharky mentioned the sunroof drain plugs have a habit of getting stuck shut, so squeeze them open on occasion or lube them up. Don't think that would cause leaking into the footwell, but good to do anyways.

Fore!
    Actually, somehow the sunroof drains leaking does call leaking into the rear footwell.

I managed to disconnect my drivers side sunroof drain within the a-pillar by cleaning it out with a throttle cable (per bentley's recommendation). I found water in the drivers side rear footwell, couldn't figure out where at first. But one day it rained and I noticed dripping from the cover over the a pillar, which ran down over the dash, and a little on the floor. I pulled the roof liner a little bit and found the disconnected drain hose, which was easy to reconnect. I THINK this has solved the problem.

What I think happens is that the water gets in through the A pillar and somehow makes it way into the ac/heat vents, and runs down by gravity through the floor heating ducts which run under the drivers seat to the rear footwells.

Neutral
    I had this problem with my 99 Variant. I found 2 different areas that needed attention.

The first area was that water was getting into the passenger door and then leaking into the interior of the car. It took me a while to figure this out, how is water coming in around the door seal?!?! The water flows down the window, past the window seal and follows the aluminum tray that holds the window regulator and other items. This tray has a seal around it, but mine had failed. Normally, the water would flow to the bottom of the door and leak out around the weap holes. Mine followed this tray and past the seal, then it would build up a puddle between the door and the door seal, and then flow over onto the carpet. I finally was able to diagnos this when it was leaking. After it rains, I would open the door and see that the metal area just below the door panel was wet. After pulling the panel off, I noticed water seaping out from under the tray seal. A new window seal was put on but did not stop the water. The last resort was to place a bead of RTV along the bottom of the tray. Hasn't leaked since.

At the same time, I had problems with water coming in at the A pillar above the dash, just as others have described. Cleaning the drain tubes helped. I also noticed that the sunroof wind deflector would hold the water in the corners, creating a puddle that fed the sunroof drains. I took this off to see what would happen. So far, no water leaking over the past month, and we had over 5" of rain in November.

All of the testing I did was out on the driveway with a hose and I was able to simulate a rain storm in localized areas.

I would also look at the cabin air filter housing. I have read a lot of people complaining that the seal between the box and the firewall degrades over time, allowing water to leak into the footwell of the passenger compartment. But you wont get a dealer to admit this.

Good luck. With a little investigative work, you should be able to find the source of your leak.

Neutral
    I think that I have the same problem on a 2005. Passenger front carpet is soaked as well as the glovebox. The drain hose end in the passenger door well is dry and the driver's side is wet Anyone know of a fix? I am afraid to take off the A pillar on the passenger's side because of the side curtain.

B5&Buslover, you're having the same problem again. How long has it been since VW replaced the drain hose?

Fore!
    If you have a 2005 take it back to the dealer and make them fix it under warranty. The a pillar cover actually comes off easily without interrupting the airbag. Bentley says it cannot be removed without damaging the clips that hold it on although I was able to pop mine off and replace it without a problem.

However, removing the a pillar cover doesnt really give you much access to the drain hose. If you take the door molding off (pops out) and remove the roof handle and screws, you can pull down the headliner enough to see where the drain tube from the sunroof tray connects to the rubber drain which runs through the a pillar. This is where mine was disconnected. Now, unless you were stupid like me and ran a cable through the drain tube, I cant think of why that tube would become disconnected.

Neutral
    I don't know if mine was ever connected properly. Also, my headliner is dry so perhaps any disconnect or clog would be further down the path. As other posts have commented on wet carpets, I will check the battery drain holes, try running a weed eater line down the drain plug lines and see if my fishing expedition pulls up anything. Absent a fix, I will go to the dealer. I would rather not go the dealer route, even under warranty, unless this doesn't ifx the prob.

Neutral
    It's only been about 2 months....I know, crazy right?

Neutral
    My front passenger drain seems clear- no debris on the weed eater line although it was damp. There is sediment (dust...) lying at the entrance of the driver's front drain and nothing on the passenger front side.

Any new insights- yours, dealers or otherwise?? Do you think it is still the drain?

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information