DIY Oxygen Sensor Replacement?
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

DIY Oxygen Sensor Replacement?

Does anybody have any DIY pictures on how to find and replace the oxygen sensors for a '01 Passat? I crawled under the car but could not find anything obvious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    1.8T or V6?

Which 02 sensors -- (pre-cat or post-cat)?

Neutral
    1.8T (Pre-Cat)

Neutral
    I just spent 1 hour under the car looking for the sensor. After a while, I even took off
    the plastic cover under the front part of the car. I took lots of pictures, but still can't find this stupid thing. I think it's time to take a visit to the library and see if they have a shop manual.

3rd Gear
    "(Pre-Cat)"

Unless I am forgetting something there is one right behind the CAT and one further downstream. I cannot rememeber honestly though. I probably need to swap mine too (at 132K miles) Just follow out the side of the engine on the passanger side of the engine bay and look for the electrical wires near the exhaust pipes.

Neutral
    The cat is located very close to the exhaust manifold for quick warmup. I believe that you will be able to find the pre-cat O2 sensor by looking under the hood, not under the car. You may even be able to find a post-cat O2 sensor under the hood.

5th Gear
    You can see the pre-cat 02 by looking down at the turbo area with the hood open. The metal-sheathed wire that plugs into the exhaust just after the turbo is the 02 sensor.

Neutral
    Is the pre-cat very difficult to get to? Do I need to remove any covers?

5th Gear
    You can reach right in and grab it (once it's cooled down).

Pop your hood and take a look - it's right there behind the turbo.

Neutral
    Thanks pete1!!

Neutral
    Does the front O2 sensor have 4 or 5 wires? If I stand in front of the car and reach in
    with my left hand, I can touch 1 of the O2 sensors without any trouble. There is another O2 sensor more towards the back and a bit lower. This one is a bit more difficult to get to. The BOSCH O2 sensor that Autozone sold me has only 4 wires, which would match up against the sensor that is toward the back. Did they sell me the wrong part or am I looking at the wrong sensor? The part that I have is BOSCH part# 15733.

5th Gear
    I'm assuming you have an AWM engine...

Front O2 sensor has 6 wires: white, yellow-red, green-yellow, red-white, brown, yellow-green. This is the vertical sensor that you can grab easily.

Post-cat O2 Sensor has 4 wires: green-yellow, white-green, lilac, red. This is the sensor that is sideways, kinda back behind the engine, and harder to get to.

The part they sold you is the post-cat O2 sensor. Do you have a scan-tool printout of your error codes? Post your DTC "Pnnnn", if you have them.

AUG engine is remarkably similar... ATW is a little bit different.

Neutral
    I have an AUG engine. The code that I pulled is P0135. The wires that I saw
    coming from the front 02 sensor had a red and yellow wire and 3 other colors.

5th Gear
    I'll check w/ my Bentley manual tonight and post more info.

Neutral
    I called Bosch and they told me that I need part number 17090, which is a 5 wire sensor. They said that this is what is used with the AWM. I know mine is an AUG. I am a bit hesitant to order anything if I am unsure.

5th Gear
    Bentley showed 4-wire for the post-cat and 6-wire for the pre-cat 02 sensors on an AWM.

Bosch might not consider the ground lead (brown) as a "wire". :???:

Where are you looking for the wires? ...at the sensor end or at the wiring harness?

How many "pins" are on the wiring harness of the O2 sensor you have?

Neutral
    At each end I see the following wires: white, white, black, grey, red, yellow. I have not taken the wiring harness out yet. Bosch says that the 6th wire is inside the harness and is connected to a resistor and may not be visible. I am still confused by the fact that I have an AUG with a 5 wire sensor.

5th Gear
    sorry for the delay in posting again...

The AUG uses a 6-pin harness for the front (pre-cat) O2 sensor, just like the AWM. They both use 4-pin harnesses for the post-cat sensor.

AEB and ATW use 4-pin harnesses for both.

Looking at the bentley diagram, it is possible that one of the pins could be jumped to the other inside of the O2 sensor's wiring harness -- leaving 5 wires to actually run from the wiring harness to the sensor body itself.

The VW OEM wire colors for the O2 sensors vary from engine to engine, even where the electrical function appears to be identical . Also, the bosch sensor could use whatever wire colors bosch wanted, so lining-up by wire color is probably not going to help.

If bosch says their 5-wire is the right part, I'd go ahead and install it.

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information