Change Brake Light Bulb in '02 Wagon?
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Change Brake Light Bulb in '02 Wagon?

I hate to be stupid, but I just tried changing a brake light bulb in our '02 wagon (driver's side) and couldn't figure it out. Manual is no help ("changing light bulbs has become very complicated - we recommend visiting your authorized VW dealer"... yeah, right).

Any pointers? Do I have to take the whole taillight lens off to reach the bulb or should I be able to do it from inside the car?

Thanks and apologies if this is already posted. I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    This takes slim fingers and patience. Go inside the "wayback" area and remove the access panels (for 1st Aid kit and / or CD changer). You'll be able to access the backs of the light assemblies from there. Find two clips that you can squeeze (roughly at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions), squeeze and pull the assemblies away from the back of the light housing (towards the front of the car).

You should be able to twist out the old / bad bulb and insert the new / good one. Push the assembly back, make the clips "click", and replace the panel(s).

3rd Gear
    When you go to the way back area take a flashlight, then open the appropriate First Aid/ Changer panel use the flaslinght, and you should be able to figure it out. The manual is way off, these bulbs are a cake walk, dont even need any tools other than a flashlight. Please let us know if you still have problems.

Neutral
    We have a 2002 station wagon also.

My husband just replaced one of our driver side brake light bulbs. He said that one bulb, the blinker perhaps, had to be removed before the assembly could be pulled into the cd-changer area. With that bulb in the big plastic piece would wiggle when the clips were squeezed but it would not pull out. He also suggested detaching the wire connectors to help twist and turn the assembly in the small space provided. The manual is funny, haha, go to dealer... good idea.

Thank you.

1st Gear
    Yes, you have to remove the blinker bulb first. You give the grey holder a twist to remove, then you can unclip the main stop / tail / back-up lamp holder.

4th Gear
    It is perhaps a bit simpler on the B5 variant, although it is very easy to break one bulb whilst changing another. :oops:

Neutral
    Thanks to all for the advice - I finally got around to it and the tips were very helpful!

3rd Gear
    one of those cheap haynes/chilton manuals w/ pictures too would make that 10 min. job a 5 min. job ,it did for me anyway :wink:

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information