Caliper Caught on Fire...anyone else expirience this?
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Caliper Caught on Fire...anyone else expirience this?

I recently had my caliper become loose and catch on fire...VW told me my Master Cylinder for brake boost needed to be replaced and that the caliper was not properly scrwed in(i just had my brakes changed)...good thing my whole car didnt catch on fire....because I know brake fluid is very flammable. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Also, I need a new rim because the caliper scraped the rim and actually cracked it... :oops: anyone know where i can refinish my rim in toronto?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    oh way that really sucks.... never happened to me and i hope it doesn't

3rd Gear
    Who changed your brakes? They would be getting a call from me for damages caused

Hasn't happened to me yet :knockonwood:

Lisa Simpson
    What? The Master Cylinder is nowhere near the caliper. Unless half the car burned up, I'm unsure how the MC could be damaged by a brakeline failure at the caliper fitting.

It sounds to me like the person changing the brakes let the caliper hang by the brake line instead of tying it up to the suspension. This is a serious error on a Passat. You should confront the brake technician and aggressively pursue this. This is not your fault, and shouldn't be your problem. A properly trained tech would not make this mistake. Most DIYers don't make this mistake. :thumbdow:

edit - ignore that, I misread your post. I still think you should pursue the tech who put you at such risk. That very same thing happened to a neighbor of mine, I caught it before the caliper fell off. I am sorry to hear that you had to put up with such stupidity.

2nd Gear
    If your rim is really cracked and not just scraped up, you should probably replace the rim altogether because it is unsafe. As far as I know, "repairing" rims is limited to fixing cosmetic damages such as scrapes and curb rash. A true crack cannot be fixed and should not be ridden on.

4th Gear
    If you drive our cars really hard, Passat brakes have known to catch fire. I remember talking to Blownaway when he was at one of his first track days. His brakes got so superheated that it caught fire.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by pacent
    If you drive our cars really hard, Passat brakes have known to catch fire. I remember talking to Blownaway when he was at one of his first track days. His brakes got so superheated that it caught fire.
    errr you mean . . . . any brake pad can catch fire . . . .not just vw ones.

I've seen videos of stoptechs catching on fire . . . its not an uncommon sight.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by crew217
    Quote Originally Posted by pacent
    errr you mean . . . . any brake pad can catch fire . . . .not just vw ones.

I've seen videos of stoptechs catching on fire . . . its not an uncommon sight.
    Oops...yup, thats what i meant. Most of the time though, your stock brakes will start fading to the point where you'll slow down before actually starting a fire (unless you're crazy...like uncle timmy)

Fore!
    There was a guy VWpassatGLX155, i think, who posted a few months ago that his brake caught fire. But I think he was aggressively bedding them in at the time.

Neutral
    wow, thanks for all the input guys. I have my rim sitting at a body shop right now and they are going tell me if it can get replaced. Thanks Slider for telling me a repaired cracked rim is not safe...I called VW and they told me $270 for a new one....Im thinking I can find one used somewhere...Volkswagen is fixing all this under warrenty(except the rim) and my car should be back by tomorrow.....

3rd Gear
    Was it the dealerships fault [or whoever’s]? If so, they should buy you a new rim also.

Banned
    Yeah, how are they paying for everything except the rim?

Neutral
    No, the brakes were not done by the dealer, so I think I got a fairly good deal. Volkswagen does not know the rim is cracked because at the time I just thought I had gotten a flat tire and never mentioned it. Do you think If I go to VW they replace the rim too, or thats just pushing it?......(sorry for all the questions guys) :oops:

5th Gear
    I'm still not clear on one thing... how does a loose caliper and brake fire result in needing a new master cylinder? Or did the failed master cylinder help cause the brake fire? Also, is VW paying for the caliper and master cylinder?

If the loose caliper caused all the damage, the guys who did the brake work should be buying you all new stuff - caliper, pads, rim/wheel, brake fluid. Also a new master cylinder, if related.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by pete1
    If the loose caliper caused all the damage, the guys who did the brake work should be buying you all new stuff - caliper, pads, rim/wheel, brake fluid. Also a new master cylinder, if related.
    My thoughts exactly...

Neutral
    thanks again for all the input guys, the guy who did my brakes is buying me a new rim...and volkswagen has covered the costs for everything. Yes, they told me the failed master cylinder caused the brake/caliper fire....I want to post pics of my car(even though its nothing compared to everyone elses :oops: )...but i dont know how.. :???:

5th Gear
    You need to have web hosting... in other words an account with your isp that lets you publish a web site. you upload the pictures to that site, say... http://www.insertthenameofyourispher...s/picture1.jpg and then put that url inside of "img" tags. check the new member guide posted at the top of each forum for more info.

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information