Removing rotten milk smell?
+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

Removing rotten milk smell?

I work at a store, and my boss bought a ton of chocolate milk. We had like 10 cases and they all expired the next day. So, I brought home a case.
    I always drive when me and my friends go out (I got the best car 8) ). So I bought like 10 milks and handed them out. Someone left a milk under the seat (it was way under there, not noticable). So, I was washing, vacuuming, etc. today and I found it under there. This is like 5 day expired milk that has been sitting in my car while it's been warm out. The pressure built up inside so the cap sprung a leak. Only a little bit drained out. I took the bottle and that stuff was rancid, chunky, the most nasty shit you've ever seen.
    I soaked it up with about 50 paper towels. I used about half a bottle of Resolve, wiped it up, still smelled. I wiped it with like 10 towels of soap and water. I used about half a bottle of Febreeze. It still smells like crap.
    Anyone have any tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    vinigar will get rid of the smell i belive

then get some ozoneum or whatever from track auto
    and lastly just frebreze the living shit out of it

4th Gear
    Man...what a story.

I would see if you can get your hands on one of those portable bissel wet vacuums. That way you can get it wet then suck all of that out. That will work a lot better than just wiping it. Handheld ones are like $25 bucks at walmart...though they're not the best. Remember to get it wet, then suck...

Good luck!

4th Gear
    if all else fails... At the dealership i work at we use this thing called an Ozonater. It gives cars taht brand new smell. Its more costly, i think 50-75 bucks, but it gets EVERY smell out... u have to leave ur car there for the whole day or over night tho. Check with the dealership... especially BMW dealerships

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranded In Daytona
    if all else fails... At the dealership i work at we use this thing called an Ozonater. It gives cars taht brand new smell. Its more costly, i think 50-75 bucks, but it gets EVERY smell out... u have to leave ur car there for the whole day or over night tho. Check with the dealership... especially BMW dealerships
    What? Give us some more info, is this a machine?

4th Gear
    Yea, it's a machine that has a vaccum hose... they put it in the window, roll it up, fill up the open holes and it puts this airborn chemical into the car. It pulls out all smells. It's lethal to humans so you can't breath it. But it works like a champ. Ours is called an ozone machine, or something like that. It takes out cigarette smells, bad people smells, weed smells, milk smells, food smells, just any smell.

Lisa Simpson
    Ozone (O3) oxidises the living shit out of everything, so that's why nothing smells anymore. It's probably also sterile when you are done!

4th Gear
    definently.... My job in NC (where i am now) is being a pool/spa technician and all of our spas have an ozonator built in to treat the water.

3rd Gear

Re: Removing rotten milk smell?

Quote Originally Posted by VWPassat8
    I always drive when me and my friends go out (I got the best car 8) ). So I bought like 10 milks and handed them out. Someone left a milk under the seat (it was way under there, not noticable). So, I was washing, vacuuming, etc. today and I found it under there. This is like 5 day expired milk that has been sitting in my car while it's been warm out. The pressure built up inside so the cap sprung a leak. Only a little bit drained out. I took the bottle and that stuff was rancid, chunky, the most nasty shit you've ever seen.
    I don't want to be an ass...BUT WTF were you doing letting people drink milk in your car! I won't let people drink anything but water.

Neutral
    You've gotta be careful with ozone tho...i've been told that it will utterly destroy rubber.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by cdev
    You've gotta be careful with ozone tho...i've been told that it will utterly destroy rubber.
    if you leave it in to long it will, but if a dealership does it, they'll do it right... or they'll be responsible to replace it.

1st Gear
    Place a bowl of PineSol on the floor overnight or for a couple of days.

4th Gear
    Have you tried visiting renting a carpet steamer and giving your car a full cleaning? Ozonator is only for extreme cases but it does work! I have a friend who works for an industrial cleaning company that specializes in HAZMAT and they use this process. If this method can clean a city morgue or ASPCA disposal area, it can get the funk out of your car.

1st Gear
    I've got one of those Hoover SteamVac upright machines. I think it was under $200. Does a great job cleaning auto carpets and mats, not to mention being fantastic for it's intended purpose (cleaning household carpet). You can't imagine the black water that comes out of the thing. Think your carpets are clean? Think again. If I didn't see it myself I wouldn't believe it. And I consider myself to be a pretty clean person.

I've also got one of those portable Bissel machines, but have yet to use it in the car. Same general idea, but not nearly as good as the upright. They're both pretty braindead to use. If it's within your means, it's a worthy investment.

Neutral
    First I'd get the ones who made a mess of things clean it up .

If that fails, take it to a detail shop. If anyone is familiar with Western NY there is a place called DeltaSonic that offers an inexpensive interior cleaning of cars. My wife and I get the cars done every spring because of the beating they take during the winters.

Maybe there is someplace like that in your area.

GL

3rd Gear
    Did the same thing in my dorm in college, roommate left a mug with a lid of hot choclate with coffee and a ton of milk on the desk for 3 weeks and knocked it over and the lid popped off. Smelled up the entire floor for the day. Had to open all the windows and we had to lysol the hell out of the carpet.

I bet the Ozonator is your best bet. You need something that will sterilize as it is the bacteria that is causing the smell and you need to kill that off.

1st Gear
    Thing is, you want to be sure you get the milk out of the car, not just cover up the smell. Perfect example:

About 7 years ago, I spilled a coke on the passenger's seat of my Fiero. I blotted it all up, looked fine. The other day while I was detailing the interior of my wife's Mustang, I was steam cleaning the carpet and mats, and thought "I really should do the Fiero too. It's never been done". Steam cleaned the carpets, seats and mats. Looked great. Go inside, get a beer. Come out, and the passenger's seat is turning brown! WTF??? Then I remember about the Coke from *7 years* earlier. Sure enough, when I steam cleaned it, it loosened and brought to the surface the Coke that was in the seat pad. It took me about 20 minutes, but I managed to get it mostly out. I am going to get the rest in the near future (I ran out of time that day and haven't had a chance to finish it yet).

So be careful to not just cover the smell, get the milk out of there. The smell should go with it.

3rd Gear
    It takes out cigarette smells, bad people smells, weed smells, milk smells, food smells, just any smell.
    Hehehehe.. how helpful of you to add that in there.

Neutral
    Don't want to be the thread pessimist, but get the milk out as fast as you can. Many years ago when I had just gotten my DL my parents gave me their old Chevy Corsica. The car used to be my mothers and she would drive my little brother to school every day. One time he spilled milk under the seat and it never got cleaned properly. On a hot summer day the car started to smell like rotten milk. I had the car professional cleaned, which didn't help. Then I cleaned the interior, which also didn't help. Eventually I took the interior apart. Removed the seats, took out all possible carpet and seat cusions. Washed whatever I could in the washing machine and cleaned the crap out of everything else with carpet cleaners and steam cleaners. I got the smell to be managable (as long as the car windows were open you wouldn't notice the smell), but the smell never went away.
    My point is, if the leak came from under the seat, pull the seat out and really clean the carpet. What I suspect happened to my car was the milk got absorbed into the carpet and the sound insulation, which the carpet cleaners usually cannot clean.

BTW- Has anyone seen the Mythbusters episode where they put three dead pigs in a corvette for a month to see if it is possible to make a car smell so bad you can never get the smell out?

They never got the smell out.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDrivesAPassat
    It takes out cigarette smells, bad people smells, weed smells, milk smells, food smells, just any smell.
    Hehehehe.. how helpful of you to add that in there.
    hahaha, i know that sounds bad but this dude rented a BMW one week and brought it back, you coulda gotten toked on the fumes left in there, lol.

2nd Gear
    Just tell people its Yogurt!

:weirdo:

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by renato

Didn't know weed smells like Yogurt

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by renato

Didn't know weed smells like Yogurt
    It's the equivalent to "Taste like chicken!"

3rd Gear
    ***UPDATE***
    I used my friends steam-vac to clean the milk. The hose shoots out hot soapy water. It got the milk out really well. I used it the day after, saw redish water travelling up the hose, did it twice to make sure I got everything out. The only problem is, the hose couldn't get a seal right on the bump, so it couldn't suck all of the excess soap up. The milk smell is gone, but there is an extremely slight weird soap smell that puts me off a little bit. I'm going to leave it for now. It's not a big deal at all, just another thing I probably blow out of proportion in my head. If it still smells, maybe I'll try to use that O3 thing you guys suggested. I still had that crisp new car smell, and I don't want to lose it! I actually get comments on how great it smells.

I don't want to be an ass...BUT WTF were you doing letting people drink milk in your car! I won't let people drink anything but water.
    These were two chicks in my car, when they get in they are allowed to do whatever they want I don't usually allow eating. But, I figure people should learn how to drink properly, so I'll lighten up on that

1st Gear
    It sounds like you have taken care of the problem for the most part. But if I had any further concerns, I would go down to Petco or Petsmart and get myself some Simple Solution®. It works like magic - believe me. Through the activity of some Enzyme, it dissolves any organic stain or smell.

The way I see it is that if it works on cat pee, it HAS to work on soured milk.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=1027911047

3rd Gear
    ***RE-UPDATE***
    Went out this morning (day after I used the steam cleaner) and it smells bad again. I'm going to consider these other treatments you guys suggested.

1st Gear
    Well if you do the Simple Solution, definitely follow the directions to the letter. It is not harmful to your carpet, nor toxic. Soak the entire area. Let it penetrate for about 20 minutes. Dab up any excess with a white towel (don't scrub back and forth, just dab). Then let the rest dry naturally. It's really that easy. Note the name Simple Solution.:wink:

Them little enzymies gonna bust all up on 'dem bad milk bacterias!

1st Gear
    natures cure is like simple solution, incase you cant find it, although i think natures cure is better...interesting about the ozone treatment

1st Gear
    speak to me of this "Nature's Cure" - I have never heard of it. :???:

31. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information