Power Window/Lock not working in one door
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Power Window/Lock not working in one door

I'm having a strange problem with my rear driver side door. It seems mostly to be an electrical problem, but I'm not sure. This is a B5.5. (out of warranty)

A few months ago, I started having intermittent problems with the door lock. It wouldn't unlock/lock from the remote or from within in the car. The only way to open the door, was to stick my hand back there and pull the handle.

In the past few weeks, the window stopped working. Can't open/close it from the driver panel or the door. Also, the illumination that lights up the window switch on the door has disappeared as well.

Can anyone help me here? I don't want to spend $100000 at the dealer. I still didn't get a Bentley CD, because I'm a Mac user and they don't support the platform fully.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    It could be your Comfort Control Module going out and malfunctioning... Are you having any other weird electrical problems? You could have somehow lost power to the locks on that door, check the wiring. I guess as a last resort, check your microswitch, it may have died.

1st Gear
    Open the door thats affected and leave it open. Check to see if the rest of the doors lock by themselves. If it does then it may be the microswitch. I have that going on with my rear driver's door now and that little test worked. I'll pull down the door when I have time and check the wiring and switch.

1st Gear
    My money would be on frayed/broken wiring.
    This same exact thing happened to me in my 98, except on the rear driver's side.

There's a rubber baffle between tbe b-pillar and the door that carries all the wires for the window, door lock, and speaker. Pull it off the b-pillar (it snaps on and off) and inspect the wires. In my case, the wires on both harnesses (one is for window/lock and the other for speaker) were frayed and broken. I spliced in some new wire to relieve the tension and make connections.

I inspected the other side and while still functional, bare wire could be seen.. I taped it up.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripple
    This same exact thing happened to me in my 98, except on the rear driver's side.

There's a rubber baffle between tbe b-pillar and the door that carries all the wires for the window, door lock, and speaker. Pull it off the b-pillar (it snaps on and off) and inspect the wires. In my case, the wires on both harnesses (one is for window/lock and the other for speaker) were frayed and broken. I spliced in some new wire to relieve the tension and make connections.

I inspected the other side and while still functional, bare wire could be seen.. I taped it up.
    Gotta try this first then....I'll see if I can take a look this evening. Was your wiring harness broken because of the opening and closing of the door or they just broke off the plug itself?

2nd Gear
    I'm having a similar problem with my passenger front door window. My passengers can't roll the window up or down from that side, but I can control it from the drivers side. The illumination is not lighting, as well. I pulled the door panel off and inspected the wires...They looked ok, for the most part...I'll have to check the wires under the b-pillar. I can understand problems on older B5's but not on a new B5.5. Hope you get it figured out.

3rd Gear
    Are not Passat electrical problems fun?

Had a similar problem and fixed it in a jiffy. Pull back the rubber tube covering the wires between the door and the b-pillar. There are wire harness connectors at the b-pillar which can come loose. Snap the connector back on. If its on and tight, start looking for frayed or broken wires.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by cm103
    Open the door thats affected and leave it open. Check to see if the rest of the doors lock by themselves. If it does then it may be the microswitch. I have that going on with my rear driver's door now and that little test worked. I'll pull down the door when I have time and check the wiring and switch.

So, I opened up the busted door, and hit lock on my key fob. All the other doors locked expect the broken one (open). I also heard the alarm horn (arming). Strange.

I'm going to take a took at the wiring between the door and pillar and let you guys know what I find.

Thanks

Neutral
    BAM. That was it. The entire harness was out. It wasn't even plugged in. The window and the illumination are working fine now.

Can anyone with a Bentley, tell me which wire controls the locking. The power lock is working, but its intermittent. I want to redo the wire.

(I love this board.)

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by gnaik

So, I opened up the busted door, and hit lock on my key fob. All the other doors locked expect the broken one (open). I also heard the alarm horn (arming). Strange.

I'm going to take a took at the wiring between the door and pillar and let you guys know what I find.

Thanks
    So it looks like your door is not registering with the CCM. Check the wiring and microswitch. I think i read here somewhere that its built into the latch and some people have had some favorable results by cleaning it out.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out for you.

1st Gear
    Was your wiring harness broken because of the opening and closing of the door or they just broke off the plug itself?
    My wires were frayed and broken about 1" from both harnesses.
    The wire bundles have no slack in them so I assume 6 years of opening and closing the door rubbed the wires bare and then they broke.
    So I spliced in some wire between the 2 broken ends, making my own slack.

Interestingly, the first time I looked at them, they were already taped.. Maybe from the factory? A good German worker knew this would happen?
    :suspicio:

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by gnaik
    BAM. That was it. The entire harness was out. It wasn't even plugged in. The window and the illumination are working fine now.

(I love this board.)

1st Gear
    Was your wiring harness broken because of the opening and closing of the door or they just broke off the plug itself?
    My wires were frayed and broken about 1" from both harnesses.
    The wire bundles have no slack in them so I assume 6 years of opening and closing the door rubbed the wires bare and then they broke.
    So I spliced in some wire between the 2 broken ends, making my own slack.

Interestingly, the first time I looked at them, they were already taped.. Maybe from the factory? A good German worker knew this would happen?
    :suspicio:
    You know, I've had a lot of electrical problems since I bought my B5 used in 2001. I pulled up the harness for the CCM a couple times and traced back wires as far as they would go without me taking out the seats. I've noticed that a lot of the crimps and test point for the wires were taped as well. Maybe they did that as a precaution as the wires were not expected to last as long as the car...who knows :suspicio:

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information