Q: Which Switchblade for 98 B5 remote?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    2nd Gear

Q: Which Switchblade for 98 B5 remote?

Well, the stupid little banjo remote on my 98 B5 is finally giving out, so I thought I would take this opportunity to upgrade to a switchblade remote. My question is, which switchblade model do I need?

My remote:
    CANADA:2694 102 338F
    FCC ID: NB6 730956 T
    HELLA:5FA 007 785-00.

Switchblade options:
    HLO 1J0 959 753 F
    FCC ID: NBG 8137 T
    HELLA 5FA 008 137-30.

HLO 1J0 959 753 AM
    FCC ID: NBG 735 868 T
    Canada: 26941032187

Others?

TIA,
    David

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Who is going to cut the blank for you? because I know most Dealer are going to order the switchblade aka the folding key if you VIN number comes up as a bango key. If you know a lock smith that cuts these sidewinder keys that you can buy a switch blade off of ebay with and uncut blank and have him cut it for you. Then you can program the key as per the instructions in the owners manual.

I have a 99 built 3/99 and the switchblade it uses is

HLO 1JO 959 753F (dont quote me on this but I think 2001 and up used a different key so this is the one you probably want.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom GLI
    Who is going to cut the blank for you? because I know most Dealer are going to order the switchblade aka the folding key if you VIN number comes up as a bango key. If you know a lock smith that cuts these sidewinder keys that you can buy a switch blade off of ebay with and uncut blank and have him cut it for you. Then you can program the key as per the instructions in the owners manual.

I have a 99 built 3/99 and the switchblade it uses is

HLO 1JO 959 753F (dont quote me on this but I think 2001 and up used a different key so this is the one you probably want.
    Well, I can get an uncut switchblade on Ebay, and I have a dealer who will cut it for regular charge. I just need to know if the remote part will work with my 98 which currently uses the banjo remote I listed above.

3rd Gear
    Yes it will work, I am just saying some dealers are anal and some of the guy in parts departments are cool. Scuba 2001 has converted his key to a switchblade but he cut down his banjo key. You can find this in the information forum.

Neutral
    You have a switchblade on your 98? Weird, I dont. My remote is really going out to, and the dealership is giving ME hell about it.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Projekt1JZ
    You have a switchblade on your 98? Weird, I dont. My remote is really going out to, and the dealership is giving ME hell about it.
    I don't have a switchblade, I have the banjo remote. I want to replace the banjo remote for my 98 with a switchblade. Can ANYONE tell me which model switchblade I need?

1st Gear
    I have a 99 and the switchblade I am using is:

HLO 1J0 959 753 F
    FCC ID: NBG 8137 T
    HELLA 5FA 008 137-30

Ray
    2nd Gear
    Where can you find the number in the blade itself?

Banned
    The blade itself doesnt have a part number. Usually, the dealer will order the whole half of the key and replace that.

David, the one that you want is the 753 F part. Ive used two of these parts when I covnerted to the switchblade on my '98 and I havent had a single issue with either one of them.

HTH,
    Steve

1st Gear
    dac2800

I have a 99 that had the banjo style remote. I ordered my new switchblade remote from Scott Volkswagen in East Providence RI (www.scottvw.com).
    They know what they are doing, they make keys and send them all around the country. I had mine made October 2002. The parts numbers on my receipt were,
    107-837-246-D-CUT & 1J0-959-753-F. The directions for programming this style of remote is different. I found the instruction on vwvortex or clubb5 and printed a copy of those instructions to add to my owners manual. In 2002 the cost was $145.87.

Tom

2nd Gear
    Yeah, I have a 98 and bought the Hella switchblade off eBay. The one that ends in 753f is the one you want. Good luck!

3rd Gear
    Can't you just buy a switchblade remote on ebay, and put your existing key onto it?

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information