Hand/Parking brake adjustment
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Hand/Parking brake adjustment

Since the dealer services my '02 1.8T, the handbrake doesn't seem to be fully releasing and is squeeling when at slow speed (handle only moves 2 clicks)
    Anyone know if it possible to adjust without another visit and if so where is the adjuster and how do I get at it?
    Cheers
    Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Did the dealer just do anything with the brakes like replaceing the rear pads? I had the same problem after swapping pads and not compressing the rear calipers because at the time I didn't know the trick.

3rd Gear
    The bently shows you how, i read it before i changed my pads, but didn't have to do anything with it. I can look later, if you dont have the bently. i will post later today what the bently says

PZ
    Redline
    Take it back to the dealer. To adjust the parking brake,you have to remove the
    heat shield under the center tunnel. The adjusters are under the back seat section
    of the tunnel. Unless you have a lift,it is not easy to work on.

I know of one car that was stuck due to this. He pulled the brake handle hard several
    time to get the brakes to loosen. He probably streched the cable.

2nd Gear
    You have to retract the piston in the rear calipers if you put new brake pads on. But in general it wont be easy to put new pads unless you retract the piston and that should adjust your parking brake automatically.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information