VW/Audi Dealership :: A how to on having one?
+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

VW/Audi Dealership :: A how to on having one?

I want to own my own VW/Audi dealership. Where do I start? Any information? Any owners here on the board?

I like the idea of owning one. The service complaints I hear of are just horrendous; the dollar store gives better customer service it seems.

Fox VW/Audi ... sounds good aye? Christian folks serving you and your auto.

Seriously though, information on dealership ownernship would be awesome.

Thanks,

Stephen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Blownaway is the sales manager at Libertyville VW in Illinois. He may be able to provide you some information.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Re: VW/Audi Dealership :: A how to on having one?

Quote Originally Posted by PassatVariantPunk
    I want to own my own VW/Audi dealership. Where do I start? Any information? Any owners here on the board?

I like the idea of owning one. The service complaints I hear of are just horrendous; the dollar store gives better customer service it seems.

Fox VW/Audi ... sounds good aye? Christian folks serving you and your auto.

Seriously though, information on dealership ownernship would be awesome.

Thanks,

Stephen.
    You will need an open market area, a lot of money, and a lot of experience. Best bet is opening a cheap franchise for 4-8 years, such as Suzuki or Isuzu. Major manufactures are extremely careful on who gets to open stores. Assuming there is a VW or Audi franchise available, and the money is there (think millions) you should be good to go.

3rd Gear

Christian folks serving you and your auto.
    Christian folk? Ohhh joy...

If you want a dealership just go work to become a manager and learn what to do and how everything runs. Then gather up a few million or find investors to spot you the capital.

Or even easier, when you get those millions just paypal the money to me, I'll open the dealership up for you, I swear.

Out of curiosity, how much startup capital do you have? A couple hundred grand? You'll be surprised at how quick that money disapears in the first few months of paying property tax on the lot alone, nevermind construction, and nevermind the actual business.

6th Grade
    Pay your mechanics well.

2nd Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Postman
    (think millions)
    yeah without a doubt, millions upon millions, not just to start the dealership, but to buy the cars as well. oh and forget about a life outside of the dealership, youll practically live there.

1st Gear
    All I can say is, it was difficult for HANK AARON to get his BMW dealership in South Atlanta. So good luck!

1st Gear
    there's already a FOX VW here in west Michigan, but I guess they don't care about duplicate names.

4th Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm
    Christian folks serving you and your auto.
    Christian folk? Ohhh joy...
    Not a Pat Conwell sense of the phrase. I mean honest individuals who show compassion and concern; people who will be sincere and kind. So it should be a shock and a joy...you're right... for many it seems this would be far from a typical VW dealership visit.

Sharky -

Of course I will pay them well! Ha come on now. They are the ones working the hardest. Most of the complaints seem to stem from "I dropped my car off to get fixed and then. -insert crap here-....." anyhow. Hard work earns good money and good money earns some hardwork- with exceptions of course. Can't have unhappy mechanics.. they have the ability to run the name of the dealership to the ground.

And as for any of the talking down which was delivered, be it joking or serious, I will move the post to 'tex if I want it. Seriously..

Thanks for ya'll's (Northern boy with a southern vocabulary) input. When I graduate I should be making millions in a week or so :weirdo:

So lots of money .. check .. you call up VW one day and say hey, lets do business?

3rd Gear
    Millions is a definite. Business degree, dealership management experience and most likely prior ownership.

To give you an idea about franchises, I looked into a Ben&Jerry's in my town. They wanted 10 years of successful business management and $300,000 in liquid assets outside of your startup capital. Basically, you needed $750.000 or so to start an ice cream store, inventory costs nothing. Think about a dealership where you need at least $4 mill. or so in inventory to get started.

Need money to make money.

Neutral
    You need an open point and some $$. In addition to some experience in a reputable brand.

1st Gear
    How about we start a CB5 Dealership Franchise - A CB5 dealership owned and operated by CB5 members. We already have 10,000 potential shareholders and investors.

4th Gear
    Hah that is awesome RobsB. Could you imagine how rocking that CB5 Dealership would be. We could do mail order VWs or something. Wow.

So.. each of ya'll give me 100 bucks...we'll start small.

Thanks for the insight Guyute (Phan?). I don't know about a business degree but a sucessful business adventure previous seems proper. Who knows.. maybe I will get an MBA one day too.

What about taking over a VW Dealership?

4th Gear

Quote Originally Posted by valvecovergasket
    (think millions)
    yeah without a doubt, millions upon millions, not just to start the dealership, but to buy the cars as well. oh and forget about a life outside of the dealership, youll practically live there.
    there is a special loan to buy cars for dealer. you dont have to pay it back for 60 or 90 days (usually this is the time you need to sell the cars)

A friend of my just bought a 2 GM dealerships here in Michigan.. it costed him $20 milions per one store.... :shock:

4th Gear
    Acctualy you invest in everything except cars. Max. you will need to custom clear them, if VW do not have their own Co. doing that. And,at least in EU you pay tham for car when you sell one (no return policy), but...spare parts.You need them and a lot on stock and for a lot of diff models. Plus rest that guys said. This is not business to start from zero. Do not forget that someone in yor part of US can have exclusivity or simmilar, so you must reffer to him.

2nd Gear

Quote Originally Posted by XedoS69
    Quote Originally Posted by valvecovergasket
    (think millions)
    there is a special loan to buy cars for dealer. you dont have to pay it back for 60 or 90 days (usually this is the time you need to sell the cars)

A friend of my just bought a 2 GM dealerships here in Michigan.. it costed him $20 milions per one store.... :shock:
    yeah they get all kinds of discoutns and the cars arent too expensive, but to have a wide variety of inventory, the price starts to add up...

and damn your friend must be loaded :shock: thats awesome tho id love to have my own dealership

4th Gear
    I am sure it would be expensive. I never doubted that. I know it would be a lot of work. And it isnt something you start from the zero... How else would one be started? Every great oak tree came from a seed.

I have heard something similar to an above posting. The dealerships get the cars on "loan" per say for about 60 days. This is the time to sell them..! But after this window then the dealership owes the auto manufacturer so much per car and from there on out it is a big rush to get that car off the lot.

What about taking one over? Going to a local VW Dealership.. breifcase of cash.. and ah.. and among many things, change that name from Tracey VW to Fox VW?

3rd Gear
    Have you considered opening a pre-owned dealership with garage that specializes in German automobiles? You could hit the local auction and pick up used VWs, Mercedes, Audis, and BMWs or just VWs and Audis. This would get you the dealership experience, make a name for yourself in your market and go from there.

You could go as far as offering a more enthusiast angle as well. Offering both OEM and non-OEM aftermarket parts. Having the garage means you can install said parts for customers. If you really want to go full service have a body shop and paint shop on site too.

3rd Gear
    Hah that is awesome RobsB. Could you imagine how rocking that CB5 Dealership would be. We could do mail order VWs or something. Wow.

So.. each of ya'll give me 100 bucks...we'll start small.

Thanks for the insight Guyute (Phan?). I don't know about a business degree but a sucessful business adventure previous seems proper. Who knows.. maybe I will get an MBA one day too.

What about taking over a VW Dealership?
    Phan alright, too much time in Burlington, VT.

You could go with the used German dealership. There is more $$ in the used sales anyway and smaller startup costs.

4th Gear
    This is what I have been told, that used dealerships have lower start up and mostly higher returns. Get an auction VW for a few thousand bucks and sell for twice as much. I can only imagine how much the guy paid for my 98 AEB 1.8T Wagon that I paid (er, am paying ) 6,000 for.

In no way am I making the move -not yet at least- for a dealership of my own. I am 20 and attending school. Got a few years. However I do like the idea of a German Auto place with some aftermarket goodies to be installed on site. A CB5 Haven. That way I could get a pretty sweet ride too... M5 perhaps.. or my own Roxy.

Thanks guys.

3rd Gear
    ...What about taking one over? Going to a local VW Dealership.. breifcase of cash.. and ah.. and among many things, change that name from Tracey VW to Fox VW?
    Actually, that's what happened to my dealership (VW/Porsche/BMW) shortly after I bought my B5. It was bought out by a couple of professional football players (who, I would guess, probably wanted good service for their high-dollar chariots). I don't know if you're attending college on a football scholarship, but if you are, it might help!

23. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information