Alarm Problem
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alarm Problem

Neutral

Alarm Problem

It's about 13 degrees outside and my factory alarm keeps going off for no apparent reason. Anyone have any ideas? It's a 99 Passat. :suspicio:

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral

AHHH

i had this same problem.... My 98 glx v6 would randomly go off sitting in the garage.... I dont know what the problem was but one day it stopped, havent had a problem with it since then :wink:

2nd Gear
    I think you can lock it without setting the alarm by closing the passenger door last and using the key. If it works at least you can get some sleep and deal with fixing it later.

Neutral
    Funny....I too have a '99 Passat and just woke up (its about 2 am here) to my alarm going off. I disarm and rearm and it just goes off again. There is no specific time interval that I have found between when it goes off.

I would simply disarm it and risk it for tonight but my car arms itself in under 30 seconds (this "bug" started randomly one day) so in essence I can't unlock the doors and leave them unlocked.

But as of right now...this is my process:
    Arm the alarm
    disarm just the driver side door
    let the timer rearm the alarm

and now it doesn't appear to be going off.

If that doesn't work...I am going to try SteveD's suggestion.

ARGH!

Neutral
    &^*#%)*(&@#%!!

It is now almost 5 AM. After thinking I had resolved the issue (the alarm didn't go off for about 2 hours) I headed back to bed.

Just as I got into bed...I heard my alarm (I live in an apt complex so I am quite sure all my neighbors heard it too).

After pulling several fuses (and freezing my a** off - its 10 degrees here) - the horn fuse (#40), the power locking system fuse (#38 ), the other power locking system fuse (#6)**, I finally pulled the big one... #14.

That finally killed it. It also killed everything else though...

Too bad VW can't use a separate fuse for the anti-theft system.

**The combination of #40, #38, and #6 actually killed my car but not the alarm. After I removed those three, the car wouldn't start. But I figure I will worry about that in the morning....

Neutral
    It went off a third time about 730am. My wife went out and noticed a light on in the interior. I hope that was the problem.

6th Gear
    To lock your doors without arming the alarm, lock the car from the (inside) passenger's side door.

As for the problem itself, its rampant in cold weather. Don't you just love all this great technology. :roll:

Kenny

3rd Gear
    Join the club, I just went through this 2 weeks ago. First they replaced the hatch latch. Worked fine for a few days, no inadvertent alarms. Then driving to work one morn., I get a "luggage compartment open" warning on the MFD, I checked the hatch it and it was secure.

Took the car back to my friendly neighborhood VW dealer and they kept the car 3 days and replaced the CCM. Part # 1CO-959-799-C-080.

So far no problems yet.

FYI, mine is '02 Variant and still under warranty, so all was covered by VW.

Neutral
    Kenny -
    Thanks for the tip. It worked!

Thanks!

Neutral
    I had this problem this morning (very cold out). When I try to lock the car/enable the alarm, the alarm goes off. I tried the work around posted in this thread to lock without the alarm and it works fine (thank you).

Is it truly the cold weather or does this mean another trip to the dealer?

ps - I called one dealer this morning and they had no idea how to lock the car without the alarm. They said my only option was to leave the car unlocked. This forum is so helpful!

6th Gear
    I wouldn't bother taking it to the dealer. The chances are better than not that the problem will disappear when it warms up.

Kenny

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Payne
    I wouldn't bother taking it to the dealer. The chances are better than not that the problem will disappear when it warms up.

Kenny
    Hey all, first post here in the Forum. I'm on my 4th dub and its a 2002 1.8T as my user ID indicates. Anyway, its getting cold here (40*) and my alarm is going off about every 1/2 hour. I can lock it up w/o the alrarm, but damn. Oh and when I do try to lock w/alarm I don't get a confirming beep. I was considering taking it to the dealer, but . . . . anyone with updated adivce?

Neutral
    the confirming beep is something that can be changed by using the computer link or soliciting the steelership. there are a few other options that can be changed in this way. as to it getting cold and the alarm going off never had that one sounds like a bummer thou. :roll:

MAJ
    Neutral
    i have a 2001 tdi 130 i had the same problem of the alarm going off everytime i armed it.so i rang my local VW dealrs up and asked why this was happening the nice man on the other side of the phone told me exactly wat was the problem.there is an interior alarm sensor under the carpet in the passenger side footwell. And that is wat triggers the alarm off with water coming in from under the cabin filter housing seal which is a common fault. because my car was not under warranty i had to pay and i was surprised when they quoted me £65+vat which i think was cheap. It came out to be dat was the problem why the alarm was going off but there was another problem why the alarm was going off.The HORN back up was triggering the alarm too argghhh i hope dat is a cheap cure too.

P.S wish me luck !!

4th Gear
    I'm having other issues with the alarm as discussed in other threads. It has been pinpointed to a defective CCM. Getting it replaced on Monday.

3rd Gear
    I have noticed when i lock my car with the key fob and activate the alarm my indicators flash to let me know the system is activated.
    My problem is when i close over the garage door after locking my car it sets off the indicator lights (Flashing) like if you put your hazard warning signals on.

Do you have any suggestions for this? and is the alarm connected to the standard Horn sound?

1st Gear
    It's the Trunk switch that went back.... must be dued to the cold weather. One sensor located in the front hood and the other locates in the trunk lock. So either one could be bad, but I suspect the trunk switch... you can do a search here.

Neutral
    I had the same problem (1998 1.8T), I don't think there is a fuse just for the alarm (the horn fuse doesn't do it), so I just unhooked the actual alarm horn from it's power supply. You can find it behind the upper side carpeting in the front left the trunk. Sometimes my alarm goes off (just the lights and sometimes the inner lights go into seizure mode), but the alarm horn doesn't.

This usually only happens once or twice at a time (though very infrequently) except for one time it was cold out and it did it so many times that it drained the battery.

Neutral
    the fuse for the anti-theft system is #14 (which is also connected to your doors, your door lights etc...) however I have similar problem to all you fella's out there except my trunk is secure and the MFD doesn't show that the trunk is open, yet, all the doors are closed and locked tight, yet when i still lock the car, the alarm goes off, i open the trunk, shut it again, open all the doors, shut them again, and then i lock it, nothing happens, right when i walk away from it BEEP! BEEP BEEP BEEP! so there ya have it... either something to do with the locking mechanisms, (doors, or trunk, possibly hood) OR the CCM is bad, or something to do with the anti-theft system connected to the fuse with the door lights and door locks and windows and all that jazz. it has nothing to do with the cold weather cuz mine goes off in 65 degrees weather so go figure... I'm getting REALLY frusterated so I'm taking to VW on monday to get it fixed, i'll repost this to tell you all what was the problem.

Neutral
    Same issue last night . I had to disconnect my battery to make it stop. Any update on the fix?

Neutral

Using VAG COM to tell you

If you have access to VAG-COM it can tell you what is causing it, my own alarm often goes off about 5-7hrs after I've locked it up.

I have 409.1 ($99 licensed version) with the 3rd party cable. Car is a '98 1.8T (Irish) B5.

To check,

Select '46-Central Conv'
    Select 'Meas. Blocks - 08'
    (It'll then tell you a 'Label File', so go to C:\Program Files\VAG-COM\Label and open the correct label file, in my case 1J0-959-799.LBL)
    Enter 015 in Group and click on Go.
    This will tell you the Alarm sources, have a look in the label file for the section '15'. Under it is a list of codes:

;1 = rear lid
    ;2 = RR door
    ;4 = LR door
    ;8 = Pass door
    ;16= Ignition
    ;32= Interior monitor
    ;64= Hood
    ;128=Driver's door
    ;255=no alarm

Mine stated that the last 4 times the alarm went off, it was '64' which means the 'Hood' is faulty (or bonnet in my language ). I had originally expected it to be the rear passenger door but now I know differently (actually still in the car after working this out, god I love wireless).

So, now to search the Forums for a part to get replaced and then source it from Ireland or Europe.

Hope this helps.

Wicklah

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by pjazz
    It's about 13 degrees outside and my factory alarm keeps going off for no apparent reason. Anyone have any ideas? It's a 99 Passat. :suspicio:

Pretty easy it is the light in the glove box that is staying open. The car is giving you an alarm that the batterie will dump soon. I had that problem for a year and i have hate my passat so much for that. Just give a good knock on the glove box door and the light will close.

Neutral
    Hello all. I to have a 99 pasat 1.8t and i woke up today with the alarm screaming. I didnt know, so i ran out to my parking spot in my boxers, bracing for the worst.
    And boy was i suprised, i thought it would be needing a new window or something, but no. It just keeps going off.

I tried the manual key thing and that didnt turn it off. Thanks VW for making some great electicals...

And sorry to bring this up now, but my above interior lights have gone completely dead. i tried the fuses, and no blown ones.

Anyone know whats going on!

Im getting angry!

Neutral

me again

Ok i found it on the search on here, about the ground wires getting corroded, The CCM, and the wire splices. The alarm now is going nuts, anywhere from a half of a warning sign to an all out anyoning fest!

I want to disconnect the battery but that would be a pain in the tuckus!

I am clueless. Anyone know where to start, if i dont have a diagnosis machine.

Where are the ground points that could be corroded threw?

1st Gear
    Wicklah - thanks for the great post!! Another great reason to have a VagCom!!!

27. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information