can you pass e-check with a check engine light on?
+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

can you pass e-check with a check engine light on?

don't know what other states have this, but for us Ohioans we have to have emmissions check every two years.

Anyone know if you can pass e-check with a check engine light on?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    I know in Northern Va(DC Metro Area) that a check engine light is an automatic refuse to test until it is taken care of. I'm glad that there is no emissions testing outside of that area.

1st Gear
    thanks, you'd think they'd let you do it, since you'll have to pay the same darn fee

1st Gear
    they will not even pull the car into the test bay with a check engine light on because it can invalidate the test. A check engine light could be a lean condition due to vacuum leak or a o2 sensor problem to name a couple. If you have an autozone near, they can pull the code for the light(tells you what the problem is) and clear it from memory.

3rd Gear

Re: can you pass e-check with a check engine light on?

Quote Originally Posted by YoSteve
    don't know what other states have this, but for us Ohioans we have to have emmissions check every two years.

Anyone know if you can pass e-check with a check engine light on?

Thanks!
    Disconect your batteries for couple hours and then put it back, check light will be gone but then comes back again. It will be out for couple hours if you will drive under 3000rpm it will last you about 2 hours. I did it on my car and it works on 2000 Passat 1.8t. Of course its not a best solution but works sometimes

Neutral
    The last time I had to register the passat my check engine light was on and they didn't say anything about it here. They even plugged a OBD tool into the car while the test was being run. Maybe I was just lucky. By the way the CEL turned out to be nothing.

1st Gear
    Also you can open your door. Turn your key to auxilary. dont start. Leave it for about 3 or 4 min. This process will reset your check engine light

Neutral
    just hook it up to a vagcom...someone has to have one in your area.

3rd Gear
    In Connecticut they won't even test the car if it is on. That being said, before you go disconnect the negative (black) terminal from the battery for 30 min. Connect it and go for the test. It will take 3-4 engine starts for the CEL to come back on, if it does at all. This is effectivly resetting your ECU. That should get you through the test.

One warning, it will reset your tip if you have it and the auto up on the windows won't work. To fix that put the windows all the way down, then all the way up again. The auto up will now work again.

1st Gear
    In my case, the Maryland emissions station couldn't connect to a VW obd port, so I got a 2 year waiver! mine will be gone by then.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information