How to adjust the clutch ?
+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear
    Boston, MA "Surely you can't be serious" "I'm serious and dont call me Surely"

How to adjust the clutch ?

Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the clucth, it is grabbing really high. B5 98 1.8T

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    its hydrolic...so im gonna guess no. but that is just a guess, so free bump

3rd Gear
    I don't believe it is adjustable. It normally grabs pretty high. But if it is higher then normal I think you may be ready for a new clutch?

Neutral
    Like valvecovergasket said, the clutch is not adjustable since it is hydraulic. You might have a worn-out clutch. Have you bled (flushed) the hydraulic system, including the clutch every 2 years as the manual recommends? Do you notice clutch slippage or noise(s) when shifting?

2nd Gear

Re: How to adjust the clutch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabamoura
    Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the clucth, it is grabbing really high. B5 98 1.8T
    By "grabbing high" I take it to mean you don't have to depress the pedal all the way to the floor to shift without grinding. If this is the case your clutch is in good shape. You have a worn clutch if it engages when you have to depress the pedal very close to the floor.

1st Gear
    Hmm... intuitively I would think that a worn clutch would engage farther from the floor than it should.

Anyway, I've read that the clutch engages really high (from the floor) on all manual passats. I don't care for it very much, but its a fact of life.

I am curious if the dealership has ever flushed my clutch/transmission fluid. I've got my 40k service coming up in a couple of months, so I'll ask about it then.

4th Gear
    yup, mine engageous near the top. Has since day one.

Neutral

Re: How to adjust the clutch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabamoura
    I do believe it's one of differences in Euro and US specs. In Europe, clutch starts grabbing 20 mm from the floor.

If you check MKIV forum on VWVortex, there are tons of posts regarding "grinding". If the clutch would be setup here to start engaging right above the floor, MKIV drivers will have their transmissions replaced on a weekly basis.

This is just a guess. [Flame suit on] After driving in Europe for a while I personally find US clutch setup horrible, but that's just me. [Flame suit off]

Cheers, GreenG60.

1st Gear
    Boston, MA "Surely you can't be serious" "I'm serious and dont call me Surely"
    The clucth works fine , no noise, it engages pretty good , no slliping, but it is toooo high,, this is my first passat and i did not know if that was normal.
    But since i cannot adjust it, i will have to deal with it.

Thanks guys

2nd Gear
    Oh, you just need to get used to it. I, for one, love it when it grubbs at the very top, just the moment you touch it. And it is a sign of a clutch in a good shape, AFAIK. I remember, when I first test drove new (then) Jetta IV (Bora) after driving Cabrio with clutch on its last breath, I killed engine like 3 times, because of how high it was engaging comparing to worn out one in Cabrio. Passat's clutch is similar to Jetta in feel when compared side by side.

1st Gear
    engages very late in the pedal travel, but it has to be on the floor to start the car.

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information