Running Regular Unleaded in my Passat…
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Running Regular Unleaded in my Passat…

As some of you know, we went though a huge shortage of gas here in the Phoenix area. I’ve been running regular unleaded in my Passat for almost a week and a half. Seems like super is back in stock and I’m going to be putting that back in. Is there anything I should be worried about or will the Passat be fine. I went though about 3 tanks of regular. Other than the poor gas mpg I’ve seen, what else should I look for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    You shouldn't have to do anything or worry about anything. It'll be fine.

Regards,

Kenny

1st Gear
    Figured as much, but can't hurt to ask.

Neutral
    I've been running regular for at leat 3 years, milage is still good and no problems, although acceleration is a bit sluggish.

Mike

1st Gear
    when running reg in my car had nasty pinging. Probably does not help I have a 7% hill ~3 miles long. Midgrade does not ping so I use that. FWIW: ~20 cents gal more ~ 60 fillups /yr, ~14 gal fillup $168 more a year in gas. Not that big of a deal to use premium vs regular. However I am a slight cheap bastard so I use midgrade.

1st Gear
    Well it sounds like I have nothing to worry about. I'm finally seeing gas moving in to the valley, but nothing less than $2.50 a gallon. Oh well, I didn't want a new computer this year anyway. Seems like diesel is available everywhere and the price is not as high as regular gas. So when can I expect a TDI Passat?

4th Gear
    So when can I expect a TDI Passat?
    In the United States? Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

ACE
    3rd Gear
    Last summer I tried running just the mid grade (87-88 octane) to see if it made a difference. After the 3rd or 4th fill-up I started getting some pinging and it just got worse. I actually didn't notice any performance or mileage difference though. Took about 3 fill ups with 91 octane and a bottle of Techron to get rid of the pinging.

Joe

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information