Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Advice...Hood will not open

20K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Z28Driver 
#1 ·
Alright if you read any of my past experiences with the dealer you know i dont wanna go there...my hood will not open and it feels like the pull is working correctly...any advice as to how to get my hood up and fix this problem?

#3 ·
Re: Advice...Hood will not open (schmim)

no the hood itself and the pull in the front there do nothing...but the pull from inside the car does not feel as though its broken...normal effort required

#5 ·
Re: Advice...Hood will not open (pass-variant)

yea i mean i have owned GM cars so i am used to sticky hoods...this isnt coming up...even with 2 people one pulling one realesing

#8 ·
Re: Advice...Hood will not open (pass-variant)

hmm...i guess i'd have to get behind that and see if i can find the cable?

#9 ·
Re: Advice...Hood will not open (Z28Driver)

well it'll probably be much easier if you can find some way to pop the hood before you fix .. trace the cable from the latch back to the release lever ?

#10 ·
Re: Advice...Hood will not open (schmim)

i agree i guess i'll have to get in touch with bel to see if he has an idea

#11 ·
Re: Advice...Hood will not open (Z28Driver)

Have one person pull the release on & off to see if you can locate the main latch lever moving (looking through the grille with a flashlight).

Once you locate the main latch (moving slightly) use a long slender flat blade screwdriver to push the latch in the direction the ball (on end of cable) is pulling.

Good Luck with it.

<![CDATA[Have one person pull the release on & off to see if you can locate the main latch lever moving (looking through the grille with a flashlight).

Once you locate the main latch (moving slightly) use a long slender flat blade screwdriver to push the latch in the direction the ball (on end of cable) is pulling.

Good Luck with it.

[Modified by Electron Man, 4:38 PM 3/4/2003]

#12 ·
Re: Advice...Hood will not open (Electron Man)

^^ What he said. After you open it up, you will probably find that the latch is loose on the chassis. You know how I know about this. If it really is loose, call VWoA immediately and do not drive across the Betsy Ross Bridge under any circumstances.

#14 ·
Re: Advice...Hood will not open (l5gcw0b)

Actually, we had a car that required one person to pop the inside latch and one person had to lift up the hood while it was pulled out. The hood didn't "pop", but it did release and you could only do it with two people. Once you let go of the inside release, the catch would keep it down, so someone had to be there to lift it at the same time as it was being released from inside. Try it.

No, this was not happening on a VW.

#15 ·
Re: Advice...Hood will not open (trlyka)

Just wanted to update folks....by using a combo of electron mans and b5bels advice i was able to get it open..the odd thing is its not broken and it worked fine after that...i did spray some lube in there so this wont happen again...its not like it was even cold enough to be frozen so I dunno..just another stupid owning a car problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.