'03 Passat to '03 Audi A6 conversion?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

'03 Passat to '03 Audi A6 conversion?

Hey. Just curious.. Is it possible? The cars both look the same except for the front and rear.. The interior is different too.. Can all this stuff be changed? There must be a kit or something..

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear

Re: '03 Passat to '03 Audi A6 conversion? (Sal Collaziano)

Yeah, it's called sell your car, and buy an A6. You'll never be able to sell your car after your conversion, because it will still show up as a Passat in all records because of your VIN...so adding the price of the conversion (say, $20k) and the price of your car ($20-30k)...be prepared to take a $40k+ loss.

6th Gear

Re: '03 Passat to '03 Audi A6 conversion? (stealthx32)

The movie Face Off comes to mind.

And I think the car would be worse than the movie

Not worth the cost and effort, for the reasons stealth mentioned.

Neutral

I'm not worried about resale or anything. I just want to know if it's possible. $20k? What would make it cost that much? I'm only talking about a front bumper cover, trunk and rear bumper cover.. Little things like head/tail lights aren't that big of a deal..

Regarding resale - there will always be someone who wants to PAY for a Passat and get what looks like an A6. Kit cars are sold all the time. C4 Vettes to C5 Vettes (and soon to be C6 conversions).. That's just one example.. There are plenty.. No big deal..

My question was - what goes into this?

6th Gear

The chassis is longer on the A6, so you're gonna have to make some of the panels yourself....good luck with that! On the bright side, if you use fiberglass to do your molding, you can save a lot of weight... I highly doubt anyone has made this kit...

Neutral

Thanks.. What's the last year that the Passat is on the A6 chassis?

1st Gear

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Thanks.. What's the last year that the Passat is on the A6 chassis?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont think it ever was, the passat and the A4 shared the same chassis.

1st Gear

Re: '03 Passat to '03 Audi A6 conversion? (screeech1)

er.............no.The Passat does share the A6 floor pan , as does the Skoda Superb
    Perhaps you could convert the VW into a Skoda !

6th Gear

Re: '03 Passat to '03 Audi A6 conversion? (The Great Roberto)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Perhaps you could convert the VW into a Skoda !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now THAT might be worth the price of admission. Probably an easier conversion, too

20vvillian

i thought they were all based on a simular chasiss, i could be wrong but in etka a lot of the parts are combinated and group together

Neutral

Re: '03 Passat to '03 Audi A6 conversion? (ashman78)

Wow! I've never heard of this car:

http://www.skoda.co.uk/superb/web/

Look at the pictures.. So similar... I wonder if THESE parts can be used easily. I like that much nicer than the A6.. Especially the interior...

Overdrive

The interior? Uhm.. have you ever been in a Passat?

It's virtually identical! If you want to duplicate this in your Passat, you just need a shift knob and a little Skoda badge for your steering wheel. Maybe a little black paint for the area around the shifter

<![CDATA[The interior? Uhm.. have you ever been in a Passat?

It's virtually identical! If you want to duplicate this in your Passat, you just need a shift knob and a little Skoda badge for your steering wheel. Maybe a little black paint for the area around the shifter

[Modified by Macabre, 5:59 PM 2/22/2003]

Neutral

Re: '03 Passat to '03 Audi A6 conversion? (Macabre)

and check out the gallery at the skoda site- i wonder if the B5.5ers could do a tail light swap. those skoda tails look better in my opinion

2nd Gear

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>

If you want to duplicate this in your Passat, you just need a shift knob... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that's a rather nice looking shift knob. Does anybody know if it comes in the same gray as the Passat? My (second) shifter boot is getting to look somewhat nasty and this knob/boot combo would be a welcome addition if the color matched.

TGH

<![CDATA[<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>

If you want to duplicate this in your Passat, you just need a shift knob... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that's a rather nice looking shift knob. Does anybody know if it comes in the same gray as the Passat? My (second) shifter boot is getting to look somewhat nasty and this knob/boot combo would be a welcome addition if the color matched.

TGH

[Modified by ThosHrubecky, 9:14 PM 2/22/2003]

4th Gear

i agree

Neutral

Actually, I bought my girlfriend a '99 Passat a few months ago. Yes, I've been in it. Of course, you posted the picture of the interior that looks almost identical. Here's the one I like. It has more woodgrain and the dash kinda swoops down toward you instead of being edgy on a 90 degree angle like in our Passats.. I like this:

<![CDATA[Actually, I bought my girlfriend a '99 Passat a few months ago. Yes, I've been in it. Of course, you posted the picture of the interior that looks almost identical. Here's the one I like. It has more woodgrain and the dash kinda swoops down toward you instead of being edgy on a 90 degree angle like in our Passats.. I like this:

[Modified by Sal Collaziano, 6:31 AM 2/23/2003]

Overdrive

uhm.. it's the same interior, just a different color. There are black interior Passats too, and you can get a stick-on dash kit that will look just like that. There, just saved you about $10k... you can paypal it to me.

<![CDATA[uhm.. it's the same interior, just a different color. There are black interior Passats too, and you can get a stick-on dash kit that will look just like that. There, just saved you about $10k... you can paypal it to me.

[Modified by Macabre, 10:34 PM 2/22/2003]

Neutral

I don't want a stick on wood grain kit. And I don't like the ash-tray area on the Passat.. I like the rounded edges on the pictures we have posted here. Plus, I'd like the front and rear of the Skoda.. It's nice to drive around in something different. There are 4 Passats on my block. Everybody has one...

Overdrive

Perhaps you should consider not buying a Passat if you don't like it.

Neutral

All I'm saying here is that I like the console area the way it is on the Skoda.. And, I like the front and rear bumper as well. And, I already have a Passat. I bought one for my girlfriend and we live together so - I basically have one. I don't need to go out and buy one.

Neutral

Anyway. How is it that both of these cars are so similar?

Overdrive

Good then. Glad we got that worked out. Since I know the chances of you going out and buying a new Passat and converting it to look like a Skoda inside and out are somewher between none and none, I'll consider the matter closed.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Anyway. How is it that both of these cars are so similar?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was obvious from the comments above, but like the A4 and A6, the Skoda is built on the same platform.

<![CDATA[Good then. Glad we got that worked out. Since I know the chances of you going out and buying a new Passat and converting it to look like a Skoda inside and out are somewher between none and none, I'll consider the matter closed.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Anyway. How is it that both of these cars are so similar?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was obvious from the comments above, but like the A4 and A6, the Skoda is built on the same platform.

[Modified by Macabre, 10:46 PM 2/22/2003]

Neutral

I'll re-open the matter. I wasn't planning on doing it. I was just curious. If I got some positive responses about kits or maybe people who have done it, I would have seriously considered it. It was just a thought..

As for the A4 and A6 - I know Volkswagen owns Audi so that's easy to understand.. However, I never knew anything about Volkswagen and Skoda.. Is there any relation?

Overdrive

VW owns Audi, Skoda, Seat, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Bugatti. They're a big company.. net earnings of around $80billion last year.

Neutral

Oh, I didn't realize that.. Impressive...

1st Gear

I not sure if you old boys have missed the point or not !
    Whilst trying to convert a Passat to either an A6 or a Superb is silly, to go the Skoda route is wrong. Why? In Europe the Skoda badge is still laughed at.We all know they are essentially a VW produced at a lower cost, but their re-sale values plummet. If you buy one new, you keep it for life. Yes they are good VFM but if the market determines them as not holding their value , then that is it.
    Actually Skoda have done an excellent job with both the Passat copy ( Superb) and there A4 (golf/bora) copy , the Octavia as well.Most of the Superbs I have seen have HID lights,all have Climatronic and a nifty place to put a wet umbrella ( usefull in the UK)
    And actually the interier looks much cheaper in the flesh. Those publicity pictures are just that.It's still a good car though.Especially with the 130bhp PD diesel engine

4th Gear

I was reading EVO and TopGear just the other day and they all have to say the same thing about SKODA. People still laugh at the mear fact of owning or even driving one. Goes to show that it takes time to get rid or a bad image of SKODA .

<![CDATA[I was reading EVO and TopGear just the other day and they all have to say the same thing about SKODA. People still laugh at the mear fact of owning or even driving one. Goes to show that it takes time to get rid or a bad image of SKODA .

[Modified by quailallstar, 9:57 AM 2/23/2003]

Neutral

Re: '03 Passat to '03 Audi A6 conversion? (quailallstar)

Volkswagens have been really nice for quite a while now.. What do they need to do to improve their image?

3rd Gear

Ok, well a few of you are a little off on your facts. The Passat is based on the previous generation A4 chassis (the B5), and the A6 is a little different. Same type of chassis but just lengthened and little wider (68.7" compared to 76.1"). With that in mind, the body parts from the A6 would probably not fit the Passat, so it would have to be an entirely custom job, meaning big $$$. The Skoda has somewhat different interior panelling than the Passat; it's not just a color change. Look at the center front console and pictures of the rear seat area (doors, rear center console). I've considered ordering the parts to do a rear center console swap, but I'm not sure it's entirely possible yet, since it involves rear A/C and Heat vents like the A6 (not underseat vents, directional ones). It also might be a little expensive.

4th Gear

Re: '03 Passat to '03 Audi A6 conversion? (sentraSR20)

Also the SKODA Superb is longer than the B5.5 Its based on the China Passat that is bigger inside.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information