Anyone use Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic?
+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

Anyone use Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic?

Found it a Wal-Mart yesterday. $18/gallon=3.8qt jug. I've heard this is great stuff but wanted to see if anyone uses it in the 1.8T. If not, I guess I'll be the first.

<![CDATA[Found it a Wal-Mart yesterday. $18/gallon=3.8qt jug. I've heard this is great stuff but wanted to see if anyone uses it in the 1.8T. If not, I guess I'll be the first.

[Modified by B12Teuton, 11:50 AM 2/12/2003]

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear

Re: Anyone use Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic? (B12Teuton)

Go for the Valvoline Synpowe 5W40 at Napa (part#966). Should be $4.29 or so a quart.

Lisa Simpson

Re: Anyone use Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic? (SilverFlash)

Rotella is for Diesels. OK for the TDIs, but not sure of any issues with gassers.

2nd Gear

Re: Anyone use Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic? (atomicalex)

No means to hijack the post but...

atomicalex, what oil do you use on the TDI?

thanks,

3rd Gear

It is marketed to diesels but approved for gas engines as well. Exceeds API SL. Most diesles are turbo's (like my 1.8T) and have much higher forces working in them. Some over 20:1 compression.
    I have it in the car now and I'm amazed at how much smoother it runs. Especially at idle! Can't claim mileage yet, but seems better too.

For reference, Mobil-1 is one of the only automotive oils also approved for diesels.
    Price on the Rotella was a little less than mobil-1 and the handy 1 gallon jug is the perfect amount for oil/filter change on the 1.8T. I'm very happy with it!
    And the 5W-40 was easy to find. They didn't have 0W40 or 5W40 Mobil-1 at any of the places I looked.

Lisa Simpson

Re: Anyone use Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic? (B12Teuton)

renato - whatever the dealer puts in it right now. It is due for its 10K, so it will be another 10K before I am obliged to think about it. I will probably go with the Rotella or check around for Mobil's offerings in a Synthetic.

Neutral

AtomicAlex: That's interesting: "Whatever the dealer puts in it..."

I wonder if all VW dealers in the US put the same thing in, for example, the 1.8T engine? At Beaudry VW in Tucson they put Valvoline 5W30 regular non-synthetic in the 1.8T and V6 engines.

However, in the TDI engines the put in Castrol Syntec 5W40. At my 10K service last week I told them to put in the Castrol Syntec because I like the idea of running synthetic in my engines. I don't think, based on comparison testing of synthetic oils that Castrol Syntec is the best synthetic oil (it's not the worst, either),
    so I would be more inclined in the future to use Royal Purple 10W40 or a similar weight Amsoil synthetic. Or Mobil 1, for that matter.

Anyway, my real question is: What do dealers put in your cars when you take it in for service?

1st Gear

Re: Anyone use Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic? (renato)

Lubro Moly makes a formulated diesel oil specifically for the TDIs. It should be coming to the US in a couple of months. I believe it's called LM TDI.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information