Passat Maintenance Costs???
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Passat Maintenance Costs???

So i've been thinking really hard lately about purchasing a 2003 Passat 1.8L turbo with 97K miles on it. However, some of the customer reviews that I have read on it tells me that this vehicle is VERY high in maintenance cost, especially after hitting 60K miles. I have heard that the V6 is very unreliable and hard to maintain. How is it with a regular Passat? I really want this car, very badly, but I don't want to purchase an unreliable vehicle. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Take a look around. It is as reliable as you make it. These aren't gas, oil and tires kind of cars. They require regular, scheduled maintenance. Most Americans (assuming you are) aren't used to that way of thinking with cars. Germans are, though. You will need to fix things as it ages. How good you are with DIY or finding a good independent shop (not dealer) to stay on top of things and identify future issues, depends on how reliable it will be.

6th Gear
    It's a lot cheaper to maintain a Passat than to wait for it to break. Buying a used Passat is tricky business, because you stand the chance of inheriting someone else's bad habits. I wouldn't buy used unless you had access to full maintenance records for the entire life of the vehicle. Hope this helps.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Payne View Post
    It's a lot cheaper to maintain a Passat than to wait for it to break. Buying a used Passat is tricky business, because you stand the chance of inheriting someone else's bad habits. I wouldn't buy used unless you had access to full maintenance records for the entire life of the vehicle. Hope this helps.
    X2 nicely said

Resident a-hole knowitall
    if the used car had its regular maintenance they are not that bad, if you are buying a car that the owner did do a thing to in 40k miles you are walking into a high initial cost to fix all the issues that he did not.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
    if the used car had its regular maintenance they are not that bad, if you are buying a car that the owner did do a thing to in 40k miles you are walking into a high initial cost to fix all the issues that he did not.
    I feel like it's the same way with all used cars. But are VW's harder to repair because their parts are more difficult to find?

Wants to be TheFlipperGray
    The parts are very easy to find (dealers, tons of websites, aftermarket parts galore). They're expensive though, and replacing them can be very labor intensive - meaning very high garage costs. I wouldn't buy the car at 97k unless it's already had it's timing belt changed. Otherwise you'll lean the maintenance costs first hand (a $500-1000 repair).

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information