HELP with codes P0171 and P0170
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

HELP with codes P0171 and P0170

I just bought (finally) a Passat Wagon 2001 1.8T....I already had the timing belt replaced (104K Miles). The car was hesitating, the computer read code P0171. We, the mechanic ,found some "vacuum hoses broken". Hoses were replaced and the car reads code P0170 and still is hesitating.

Any idea what I need to do? change?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Check the O2 sensor in front of converter. The ECM uses that O2 sensor to adjust fuel to achieve proper fuel / air ratio.

Neutral

Thanks...changed O2 sensor and cleaned MAF

I changed the O2 sensor and cleaned the MAF with "electronic cleaner" bought at auto parts store. My car is still hesitating (just a little) when accelerating. I have changed the spark plugs, air filter, and O2 sensor.....any guidance will be appreciated.....thanks

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy01 View Post
    I have changed the spark plugs,
    Did you use the right plugs? They don't need to have the fancy VW/Audi logos screened on them, but they do need to be the proper plugs (NGK PFR6Q). I can't explain it, but the engine "knows" if you use anything else.

Other than that, sounds like a bad MAF. No amount of electrical or MAF cleaner will bring one back from the dead. Codes: P0170 Fuel Trim,Bank1 Malfunction; P0171 Fuel Trim,Bank1 System too Lean. Sounds similar to when my MAF died. The dealer replaced mine under an extended 8 year warranty for emissions-related parts. Can't remember if the car was still covered by the CPO warranty or not. Either way, it cost me nothing.

Neutral
    Changed the MAF and the ignition coils too....it works like a charm....THANKS

1st Gear
    No worries. Glad you got it worked out.

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information