What is the difference between Passat (2001) GLS & GLX?

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

What is the difference between Passat (2001) GLS & GLX?

Hi what is the difference between Passat (2001) GLS & GLX?

I found a GLS pretty much with everything I see the GLX comes with...

Leather, V6, Sunroof,....what am I missing here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    probably power seats, climatronic, a less common trim designation... Just guessing here though.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAPreppie
    probably power seats, climatronic, a less common trim designation... Just guessing here though.
    lets now add passenger power seat, driver seat and outside mirrors with memory setting feature (activated by the key remote and the seat buttons), power foldable outside mirrors, rain sensing wipers, auto dimmimg rear view mirror with intergrated LED ambient illumination, auto dip outside mirrors when car is in Reverse, multi function steering wheel and 16" Montreal Alloys.

Neutral
    Hey greyvariant

i see you know quite a bit about the Passat .....do you have one?

also does the 4 Motion consume more gas then FWD?

Spootnicks

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by spootnicks
    Hey greyvariant

i see you know quite a bit about the Passat .....do you have one?

also does the 4 Motion consume more gas then FWD?

Spootnicks
    In fact I do, its my 2nd VW, a 2003 Sliverstone Passat GLS Tiptronic 1.8T Variant/wagon.

The 4Motion does consume a little more gas but now by a big margin. The 4Motion adds weighs of about 200 lbs more and cuts down the 0-60 time by a second. V6 mpg is 19 city & 27 Highway, with 4Motion, Highway drops to 26mpg. Cargo room for the sedan is diminished to 10.0cu ft as opposed to 15.0 cu ft in the non 4Motion sedans. The rear seats also do not fold down, a passthrough via the center armrest is provided. You also get a space saver tire and a relocated tool kit. The 4Motion badge appears at the rear under the V6 emblem and again on the chrome shifter plate inside you also get dual exhausts in the rear. In the 1.8T 4Motion sedans however they do fold down but not in the V6s.

Neutral

Any pics

Thanks for the tip on the gas information...........Do you work for VW? You know way more then a consumer would, or should know

Do you have any pics of your Passat?

2nd Gear
    No I don't work for VW and I don't know everything about VWs. Go over to vwvortex.com and there are some guys there that know way more info than I do and they can very technical and not all of them work for VW. I do know alot more than the average consumer, in fact you know when you know too much when the salesman asks you questions on the car he's trying to sell you. I guess we can lable ourselves as VW Enthusiasts?

When I bought my 2003 Passat, the salesman knew nothing about the ESP and Brake Assist. I waited a whole model year when I heard that VW would offer this option and for a measley $280, it was more than a bargin. The Passat was indeed a bargin for someone looking to get info a German engineered car with Audi parts and engineering. Both the Passat's engines were Audi sourced, the 20V 1.8T and the 30V V6. The Passat even used the A4's multi link front suspension and its quattro AWD labled 4Motion.

Don't have any pic of the Passat, I have been meaning to do them but time just seems to slip me. Just added in the rear sunshade and the tailgate chrome strip.

Are you thinking on getting into Passat ownership?

Neutral
    I am thinking about it.....I have been around VW's for a long time...but over the last two years I have been driving a JEEP.
    In the passed I have had a 93 & 97 Jetta, 92 GTI, 81'Rocco......I had my fare share of VW's.

Right now I have found two Passat's for sale....a beige 4Motion V6 GLX, and a Silver V6 GLX.
    Not sure which one I want to go after, I like the 4Motion option, but I like the silver on the car more then the beige......What do you think of the beige?

2nd Gear
    Personally I can't stand the beige, there were 2 of them 2001.5-2004 was Mojave Beige and thereafter replaced with Wheat Beige, the later I liked as it was not so 'golden'. Sliver is perhaps the #1 Passat color and looks very good with a black interior. The GLX would have all the toys that the GLSs don't get, but you would have to read the manual to figuer out how to operate and program them. The Passat drives very different from any past VW, its more luxury ride than sport. Very quiet and you'll find that it can climb to illegal speeds quickly without you knowing. The 4Motion would add in another item to be serviced and would slightly cut into the mpg and the acceleration times. Get it if you only need it or if you experience bad weather like snow storms. All Passats come standard with EDL & ASR Traction Control devices.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by greyvariant
    lets now add passenger power seat, driver seat and outside mirrors with memory setting feature (activated by the key remote and the seat buttons), power foldable outside mirrors, rain sensing wipers, auto dimmimg rear view mirror with intergrated LED ambient illumination, auto dip outside mirrors when car is in Reverse, multi function steering wheel and 16" Montreal Alloys.
    What year are you comparing here? I test drove a GLX tonight and when I put it in reverse the outside mirrors didnt dip...........

also how does the outside mirrors fold? where within the car do you do this?

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by spootnicks
    What year are you comparing here? I test drove a GLX tonight and when I put it in reverse the outside mirrors didnt dip...........

also how does the outside mirrors fold? where within the car do you do this?
    Well, mirror adjustment knob on the door needs to be in R position for dip to work. And only right mirror dips. To fold mirrors you need to rotate the same knob to opposite side. It has sign for it.

2nd Gear
    This is why if you get the GLX you need to read the manual. My 2003 came with a video on how to opereate various items. But you still needed to read the manual.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by VW4.0L
    Well, mirror adjustment knob on the door needs to be in R position for dip to work. And only right mirror dips. To fold mirrors you need to rotate the same knob to opposite side. It has sign for it.
    Hey thanks for the tip! The function you're mentioning does that come with the 2001 GLX?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by greyvariant
    This is why if you get the GLX you need to read the manual. My 2003 came with a video on how to opereate various items. But you still needed to read the manual.
    Yeah... thanks VW for the VHS cassette. I haven't had a VCR in 8 years.

2nd Gear
    The folding mirror function was on all GLX trims including the Jetta and GTI. Its standard on the Touareg and Phaeton. Not sure it was standard on the New Bettle Turbo.

The Orientation VW videos are a must for all recent domestic and Asian converts. German cars tend to be a little complex in how things work. Although the current Passat could be operated esaily without looking at the manual. Certain functions eventaully needed the assistance of the manual. Germans love these little cryptic symbols, their radios were famous for that.

Neutral

Great in snow and very good gas mileage

If you are still deciding on the 4motion vs non I thought I'd add that the non-4motion V6 does very well in Colorado snow storms. I own a 2001.5 GLX V6. I get on average 22mpg in town and 28mpg on the freeway (conservative in town and flying on the freeway).

Neutral

GLX rearview mirror

I had to buy a replacement mirror because the liquid began to leak. The replacement mirror must be for the 2001.5 (I have a 2001) because it has different features from the old one. This has two red LEDs (on all the time)and a push button switch on the bottom that lights a green LED when pushed in. Can anyone tell me what the LEDs(both red and green) and button are for?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ufemizm View Post
    I had to buy a replacement mirror because the liquid began to leak. The replacement mirror must be for the 2001.5 (I have a 2001) because it has different features from the old one. This has two red LEDs (on all the time)and a push button switch on the bottom that lights a green LED when pushed in. Can anyone tell me what the LEDs(both red and green) and button are for?
    I don't know if your mirror is only for GLX's, but........

The 2 red LED's are for AMBIANCE. The button activates the Chromatic rear view mirror (turns green in the dark) when it's ON.

Also the rain-sensing circuits are in there for the wipers.(works off of some silly-assed algorithim)

Overdrive
    Actually the ambient lights were not add until the 2002.5 model year I believe.

PZ
    Redline
    I can confirm that the 4MO sucks gas. I am happy with 24MPG at 75mph with a/c running. The sedan might do slightly better than my wagon.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    I can confirm that the 4MO sucks gas. I am happy with 24MPG at 75mph with a/c running. The sedan might do slightly better than my wagon.

Hi Pz,

I'm about to cry about mpg.
    I'm getting 16 mpg on a good day in the City and 23 mpg Highway (60mp/H).
    My 4Motion is mostly parked right now,,, well it's a W8...

FS

Neutral
    Hey,i am a new driver nd i just bought a 2004 passat GLS sedan 4motion tiptronic 1.8T from my parents, i was just wondering if there was a semi-cheap way to make it sound good with an exhaust but not go too overboard just yet with upgrades?

24. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information