Radio Install Problem

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rreyes

Thread: Radio Install Problem

Neutral

Question Radio Install Problem

Hi All,

Just bought a new-to-me 2001 Passat 1.8T. Was told by the P/O that it had a battery drain that would kill the battery in a few days. Well I'm pretty sure I found it. The car had an aftermarket head unit installed. I noticed that after I turned the car off and took the key out, there would be a faint static/white noise coming from the speakers even though it appeared the radio was off (couldn't make it do anything). I'm thinking this sound is my battery drain. Figured it was the crappy head unit so I ordered a cheesy $30 one from Amazon to replace it with. Installed the new one yesterday and amid other problems with it, the white noise when the car's off is still there! Could be the crappy new head unit so I'm getting a refund for it but they dont want it back haha. I now have a decent one on order. I'm pretty sure I wired it in correctly, I put the yellow memory wire to the stock harness and I have the radio power coming from the 75X bolt that comes from the ignition. I noticed that when I unplugged the connector that has the yellow battery wire going to the head unit, the sound goes away so something might be screwy with that. Anyone ever had this problem before? I've looked into this as much as I can and haven't come up with much. I've seen it could be a ground, bad amp (do these cars have amps for the door speakers?), or a bad head unit. I think I'll run the wire to a screw on the frame for a new ground and see if that helps me any. I really want to have a working radio in my car so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Did the car come with Monsoon sound? If so you will find the amp in the trunk attached to the rear deck on the passenger side (sedan) or in the driver-side rear panel after the wheel well (wagon). If so more than likely the amp is staying on after shutting the car down and pulling out the key. This is fairly common when installing an aftermarket radio. The way i solved the theproblem was by installing a relay that interrupts power to the amp triggered by the power antenna lead from the radio harness.
    passatevos likes this.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    1'st thing we need to know is what rreyes asked... Does this car have the Monsoon sound system or the standard system?

If you leave the radio disconnected, do you still hear that white noise sound?

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Hey guys thanks for helping, I've determined its an amp of some kind that failed - I didn't see the monsoon in the trunk but maybe there's one somewhere else. When I ran wires straight from the radio to the speakers, they work properly and make no noise after turning off. I bet it was the amp that was staying on after the radio turned off. So I'm just going to continue running new wire to the door speakers instead of using the wiring already there because there's obviously a problem.

Neutral
    Yea check the REM wire on that amp and also check for ground loop issues (that was probably the noise issue).

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information