ARC Audio KAR 10 vs. Alpine SWR-1023D (type R) vs. ?
+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

ARC Audio KAR 10 vs. Alpine SWR-1023D (type R) vs. ?

Looking for some input on these specific drivers, and suggestions if there's something that you feel might be better in a 10" sub. I'll be using this in my variant. I'm looking to round out the low end without breaking the bank. My budget is in the sub- $150 area for the driver. I've already got an old RF amp, and I'm having a "stealthbox" built specifically for the driver. Looking more for SQ than boom or bump.

There are no car audio shops anywhere close to me, so going to have a listen isn't an option in this case. Thoughts?

Calling Paul!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
    I love Arc, it is basically all I have run for the past 6+ years.

I had 3 10'' ARC Series v2 in the Passat
    I had 3 12'' KAR Series in the allroad
    then changed to 2 15'' ARC Series v3 in the allroad

The KS is a great sub, if you can shell out a little more though I would reccomend the ARC series. From personal taste I would say

ARC>Type R>KS

All are great subs though. An ARC 10'' can probably be had for close to your price range too, and they are amazing drivers. Nice clean hard hitting bass.

1st Gear
    I always thought that you got the most for your money for subs with those Type R's. I can't really be of help though; I've never dealt with any ARC stuff.

But yes, keep it tight with the 10"

Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
    Quote Originally Posted by mount View Post
    I always thought that you got the most for your money for subs with those Type R's. I can't really be of help though; I've never dealt with any ARC stuff.

Without a doubt the Type R is one of the best bang for the buck subs out there in my opinion. From a SQ perspective, I personally like the sound of the ARC woofers over Alpine, however your ears may differ.

Redline
    What are you looking for in a sub? A Type-R will ultimately go louder than a KS and it will work better in a small box. If your'e looking for SQ, pick up an Arc-series sub. Price should be the same as a Type-R, they were in my shop, and the Arc is more efficient and uses a smaller box.

Oops, just reread your post - Find a used Arc-series sub if you can. The Type-R is fine but it has a bit of a bump in the response and the KAR needs a box you could put an Arc-series 12" in.

Redline

Wrong answer.

1st Gear
    So apparently this ARC stuff is pretty good? I'll have to keep that in mind. Most Alpine stuff, especially the type r sub, never seem to have flat responses. They just get down n dirty!

Quote Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
    Wrong answer.
    Sorry, you're right. I'm used to pro audio equipment, and I suppose things don't always hold true in the car world too.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the second weakest link in my car audio system is the 12" R-series sub. at best, I'd describe it's response as inconsistent.

the weakest link is the Kenwood Excelon DD head unit presently installed in my dash - I had an Eclipse prior to it, and I badly miss the time correction it had.

go with the Arc, Bob.

Redline
    So apparently this ARC stuff is pretty good? I'll have to keep that in mind. Most Alpine stuff, especially the type r sub, never seem to have flat responses. They just get down n dirty!
    Yep, it's the difference between making audiophile gear and stuff to appeal to the masses.

Sorry, you're right. I'm used to pro audio equipment, and I suppose things don't always hold true in the car world too.
    The same holds true with ALL speakers. The size of the sub means nothing. The weight of the cone assembly, the strength of the motor, and the inductance of the driver. Done the right way, an 18 can outperform an 8, I've seen it. Look at the old Image Dynamics IDW 15" and 18" subs. Those were nothing but rebadged B&C subs and they decimated anything else available for the car no matter that size.

1st Gear
    O, I totally agree that bigger subs are better, but you can't go cheap on them. And they need to get the power to them that they deserve.

Pro Audio - most are 18"s, but if you can't push at least 2000W to each driver; you're wasting your money.

I said 10" because a lot of mainstream brands like to throw the same driver on both their 10" and 12" (such as the Type R's). Yes, the 12" may drop lower, but the 10" isn't going to have as much flop in it.
    There probably won't be much of a difference, but when you're sending the same amount of power to both, I'd rather have the 10. Of course this only holds true in these cheaper brands.

Off Topic, (Kind of), but since I have you on the line, I was about to do a full Boston Acoustics install on a friends 09 Ram. Boston is obviously mainstream, but they're towards the top, right? This install will be the first time I've actually heard them with my own ears. A penny for your opinion? Thanks.

Redline
    Ugh...

Just because a sub is large does NOT mean it needs more power than a small sub. It's efficiency, the enclosure used, and your listening habits are the determining factors.

Your comment about the pro audio subs is wrong. Just flat-out wrong. Pro audio subs are the most efficient subs you'll find on the market.

A larger sub does NOT play lower than a smaller sub. I can, and have, played 40Hz through a tweeter. Larger subs will play low bass louder, but low end extension has nothing to do with driver sized. Headphones are a perfect example.

I like Boston, always have. Don't get caught up in what someone else thinks is "high-end" or thinks you should buy. Go listen to the gear, preferably in an install similar to yours, not in a display board, and decide based on the sound. My only knock on Boston has been their refusal to make their 6.5" midbass drivers real 6.5 or 7" drivers. Especially since they keep a 5.25" mid in their lineup. Other than that they're fantastic. Just make sure YOU like them.

4th Gear
    Thanks for the input guys! I'm gonna go ahead and do an ARC 12 and just be done with it. I'll see if I can find a used one that doesn't seem to be killed.

Paul- do you have any resources that you might be able to pull one through? Do they do factory demo units in car audio world?

Redline
    Not anymore. That stopped almost entirely by about 98 or so. With the industry in a downturn free, or discounted, stuff is hard to get unless you're factory sponsored.

Shoot Fred a PM and an email. He might have something in the warehouse.

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information