OEM Radio Swap - 2002 Passat GLX Monsoon
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

OEM Radio Swap - 2002 Passat GLX Monsoon

Hello Everyone

I apologize if this question seems overly N00B, but I am not really a car audio person in the slightest and while I love VWs I am not awfully mechanically inclined.

Anyway, I have a 2002 VW Passat GLX Sedan with the stock Monsoon CD/Radio/Tape player. My car also has the controls on the steering wheel for volume up/down and channel ahead/back.

My questions are: My head unit is going bad and I would like to replace it with another stock/factory unit. I know I should go aftermarket but I'd prefer to keep it "clean" with the factory/oem radios.

My dilemma is that used prices for my radio are more than the a used 06/07 radio would be. Is it possible to put a 06 radio (double dinn) in my passat? Even swapperoo, like I would do if I just swapped out mine for the same make/model/year?

Does anyone know if it'd fit? Better question, would I have to make any adjustments to the wiring harness? And finally, would my radio controls on the steering wheel still work?

My only reason(s) for asking are:
    a) cost. the 06 radios are cheaper than my 02 replacement would be
    b) looks. i like the updated look of the 06 radios
    c) functionality. i know I could/should go aftermarket (sony/kenwood/etc) on the cheap, but I like the radio controls on my steering wheel.

Here's a picture of the radio I have now and the second is the one I'm thinking of buying.

My Radio Now:

My "proposed" radio:

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

My intake has Emphysema R36Dreams's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can't swap a B6 headunit for the older one.......I know someone who just pulled his stock monsoon out of his GTI though....

Quote Originally Posted by R36Dreams View Post
    Can't swap a B6 headunit for the older one.......I know someone who just pulled his stock monsoon out of his GTI though....
    x2. I know who too.

Neutral
    well, i'd be interested in purchasing the unit... if you'd PM me your price, lowest price wins! :0)

of course, i'll pay shipping charges too...

can pay paypal or COD>

2nd Gear
    I just installed a Kenwood DNX 5120 w/MB Quart Speakers and retained my factory steering wheel controls. LMK if you have any questions on install and cost.

How do you like your Quarts? What series? I've been meanig to pick up another set. Haven't played with them in a few years.

1st Gear
    I sent my radio to this repair shop and they did a great job of fixing it, the cost was $115.00 http://www.sound-repair.com/

2nd Gear
    I absolutely love my MB Quarts. They are the reference series. As my installer told me," do it once and be done."

Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    How do you like your Quarts? What series? I've been meanig to pick up another set. Haven't played with them in a few years.

1st Gear
    Did you need anything special to install the Kenwood DNX 5120 in your stock dd opening? I'm looking forward to buying a Clarion max385vd but the crutchfield site keeps telling me it won't fit my B5.5 passat. Same thing for the dnx5120.

Any clues?

Thanks!
    Luis

Crutchfield will say that for all DD units in the passat. The only thing you need is the metal cage that it slides into. For most Pioneer DDs you need to buy it separately. I think it comes with the Kenwoods. Don't know about clarion but they probably do have it.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information