Want Remote Start Installed on OEM Passat Keys.
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

Want Remote Start Installed on OEM Passat Keys.

I want to be able to start my car using the remote on the original Passat keys, but I don't want a seperate remote unit for that. Is there a way I can have one installed and put into the original keys?

If so, what's the cost that I'm looking at for that and is there an automatic shut off function if the keys aren't inserted after a period of time? What about theft safety precautions? Say I'm inside my house on a cold or rainy day and want to start my car from inside the house so I can warm the engine up before I get outside so I don't have to sit inside the car and wait, can the car be driven away if someone were to hop into it and try to take off without the keys?

~Phøenix

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Redline
    It can't be done. OK, I shouldn't say can't, but I doubt you'll find anyone willing to do it because it will incredibly labor intensive if they can even get it to work. What I'm going to do is add the alarm/remote start of my choice and couple it with a valet style "normal" key that's been cut like a switchblade so it'll lock the glove box, trunk and seat backs. That way I don't have two big ass remotes to carry around.

Paul

3rd Gear
    Since the switchblade key came out I have always said that someone should make the red panic button start the car. But that's a bad idea because even after you get it to work it'll still never work well.
    Remote start's purpose is to start the car remotely, with our switchblade keys we just don't have the range.

Neutral
    Okay then so what's a good remote starter that has a really kick ass remote that's sleek, small, and compact that I wouldn't mind having on my keychain?

Redline
    Any of the units from DEI. Whether it be Viper, Sidewinder, Python or Clifford all of them have remote start systems that don't use the big ass Responder transmitters. www.directed.com

Paul

Neutral
    Which one is the best in your oppinion, and why? What's the range of those remote starters?

Redline
    They're all exactly the same. The only difference is the Viper, Python and Clifford all have lifetime warranties when installed by an authorized dealer.

Under perfect conditions, I've seen a mile range. Thse conditions almost never exist though. Normal range is about a quarted mile and that can be increased by about 50% if you hold the transmitter to your chin and use your skeleton as an antenna to increase the range (yes, it really works).

Paul

Neutral
    Okay then, do those have automatic shut offs after a certain ammount of time that can be programmed?

In your oppinion, which is the sleekest looking starter remote? I really want one that's not only good quality, but small, compact, sleek, really cool looking 8), elegant and classy looking. Something that's not going to feel like I have a tennis ball in my pocket (although at times the women do wonder? :wink: ) attached to my keychain, but is very sleek.

And are you serious about that holding it to your chin and using your skeleton as an antennea thing? :shock:

~Phøenix

Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by Phøenix
    Okay then, do those have automatic shut offs after a certain ammount of time that can be programmed?
    They all do. Last time I sold one it was 12 and 24 minute run times. You can even start with the alarm still on. If during that time someone opens the door, presses the brake, or tries to put the car in gear the engine shuts down and tne alarm will sound.

In your oppinion, which is the sleekest looking starter remote? I really want one that's not only good quality, but small, compact, sleek, really cool looking 8), elegant and classy looking. Something that's not going to feel like I have a tennis ball in my pocket (although at times the women do wonder? :wink: ) attached to my keychain, but is very sleek.
    Go to the site and see for yourself. I'm not going to do ALL the work for you.

[quote]And are you serious about that holding it to your chin and using your skeleton as an antennea thing? :shock: [quote]

Absolutely. It works with your switchblade too. Give it a try.

Paul

Neutral
    I did go to the site and look at the remotes. They all have the same basic design. I was just asking for a second oppinion as to which one you thought looked the coolest.

Redline
    Gotcha. I like the Clifford remotes personally. Also, if you like over to the Clifford site and point at the Matrix menu and then click on Responder it'll show you 2 remotes, the Responder and the micro Tx. The micro is about half the size of the Responder remote and is probably just what you're looking for.

Paul

Neutral
    Any particular reason why you prefer the Clifford? It looks like the Responder and the micro Tx come together. It doesn't specify if I can just get two micro Tx's. The micro kind of has the same shape as the others doesn't it, or is it actually smaller in size even though the shape looks similar? The little antennea nub on the micro though looks like it might be a bit annoying in my pocket.

Redline
    I think they look better than the Viper and Python Txs. Yes, the Micro and Responder come together. I don't think a dealer would have a problem giving you a credit for the Responder and selling you a second micro Tx, I used to do it all the time. The micros does have the same basic shape but is much smaller than the others. The antenna won't be a problem uness you are wearing REALLY tight pants.

Paul

Neutral
    Thanks qs. About how much does the Clifford cost? I didn't see any prices and the nearest dealers to me are closed now.

I have another question, if I use the remote to start the car, once I get in I have to insert the key right, but do I have to turn the key to the position that I would normally to start the car, or would I shut the car off and then use the key to start it up again to drive off?

If I get the Clifford, can I still use the functions of the Passat switchblade key remote to arm/disarm the alarm and pop the trunk, or would I have to use the Clifford remote to do that once it's installed? Can I just use the Clifford remote to just start the car and use the AUX function to defrost my windows?

You said that if someone tries to open the door or drive the car, the car will shut off and the alarm will automatically go off right? Can the doors still be locked and the alarm armed even if I start the car with the remote?

Waitaminute..... I just took another look at that site and they list a few models there. Which one is for the microTx that you were telling me about that is smaller than all the other models from the other brands? They list the following models there:

* Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 2-Way Security and Remote Start System with Responder Technology

* Clifford Matrix 2.5X 2-Way Security System with Responder Technology

* Clifford Matrix RSX 1.5 2-Way Remote Start System with Responder Technology

And do you know if I can get it in solid black instead of that ghey carbon-fiber look?8)

Sorry for all the questions but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars so that's why I'm here, to learn. I appreciate your help and your patience.

~Phøenix

Redline
    Thanks qs. About how much does the Clifford cost? I didn't see any prices and the nearest dealers to me are closed now.
    The price will depend on the options you want and how much the dealer charges for installation. Expect about $500 installed.

I have another question, if I use the remote to start the car, once I get in I have to insert the key right, but do I have to turn the key to the position that I would normally to start the car, or would I shut the car off and then use the key to start it up again to drive off?
    You would disarm the alarm and, WITHOUT STEPPING ON THE BRAKE, put the key in and turn it to the acc. position.

If I get the Clifford, can I still use the functions of the Passat switchblade key remote to arm/disarm the alarm and pop the trunk, or would I have to use the Clifford remote to do that once it's installed?
    Why would you want to? The Clifford will do all the stuff the switchblade will.

Can I just use the Clifford remote to just start the car and use the AUX function to defrost my windows?
    Yes, but you'll have to add a timer and more labor, so basically, more money.

You said that if someone tries to open the door or drive the car, the car will shut off and the alarm will automatically go off right?
    Correct.

Can the doors still be locked and the alarm armed even if I start the car with the remote?
    Absolutely. In fact, the alarm is usually armed when you activate the remote start in the first place. All it will do is bypass the shock sensor so the vibration doesn't set off the alarm. Everything else stays active.

Waitaminute..... I just took another look at that site and they list a few models there. Which one is for the microTx that you were telling me about that is smaller than all the other models from the other brands? They list the following models there:

* Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 2-Way Security and Remote Start System with Responder Technology

* Clifford Matrix 2.5X 2-Way Security System with Responder Technology

* Clifford Matrix RSX 1.5 2-Way Remote Start System with Responder Technology
    All the systems that come with a Responder will come with a micro as well. The difference in the systems is the sensors they come with and which, and how many, relays are on board for things like door lock control and such.

And do you know if I can get it in solid black instead of that ghey carbon-fiber look?8)
    They used to have gray, carbon and wood grain. Not sure if anything other than carbon is available anymore.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars so that's why I'm here, to learn. I appreciate your help and your patience.
    That's why I'm here.

Paul

Neutral
    I've just had the Clifford system fitted and I'm very pleased with the results.

A couple of points though...

When you arm the Clifford alarm it locks the doors. This also has the effect of arming the VW alarm, as it's part of the same control unit. If you then get Clifford to remote start, the VW alarm goes off as it thinks it's locked shut (which it is!)

To overcome this, get your Clifford installer to program 'double locking' when he installs your alarm. This has the effect of locking the doors but not arming the VW alarm (like when you lock your VW twice using the switchblade when you want to leave pets in the car - i.e. locking the doors but not arming the alarm)

The new Clifford remotes have a 'shift' feature - so you can program button combinations (so you need to push two buttons in sequence) - I've used this for the remote start so there's no way of starting the car by putting the remote in your pocket!

As regards the size - I don't have a problem with using the Switchblade and Clifford remote on the same fob. Not as slick as the SB key alone, but far better security and convenience features... Like autostart when your battery gets flat (if you're away on vacation for example) or temperature dependent... Plus there's the smile you get on your face each time you approach your car and start it when there are people watching... :wink:

HTH

David.

Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletcom
    I've just had the Clifford system fitted and I'm very pleased with the results.

A couple of points though...

When you arm the Clifford alarm it locks the doors. This also has the effect of arming the VW alarm, as it's part of the same control unit. If you then get Clifford to remote start, the VW alarm goes off as it thinks it's locked shut (which it is!)

To overcome this, get your Clifford installer to program 'double locking' when he installs your alarm. This has the effect of locking the doors but not arming the VW alarm (like when you lock your VW twice using the switchblade when you want to leave pets in the car - i.e. locking the doors but not arming the alarm)

The new Clifford remotes have a 'shift' feature - so you can program button combinations (so you need to push two buttons in sequence) - I've used this for the remote start so there's no way of starting the car by putting the remote in your pocket!

As regards the size - I don't have a problem with using the Switchblade and Clifford remote on the same fob. Not as slick as the SB key alone, but far better security and convenience features... Like autostart when your battery gets flat (if you're away on vacation for example) or temperature dependent... Plus there's the smile you get on your face each time you approach your car and start it when there are people watching... :wink:

HTH

David.

Thanks David! One other thing that's worth considering. DEI has a module for the Viper alarms (I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Cliffords) that will let you call an 800 number, punch in your pin and do ANYTHING with your alarm that you could do if you were there in person. It's great if you're locked out of your car or if you go on vacation and want to keep the battery charged. 8)

Paul

Neutral
    bullet, what is this double lock feature on the switchblade you're talking about? How much total did it cost to purchase and install the Clifford unit?

qs, which Clifford model do you recommend and think is the best out of the ones listed there? I have no idea what relays and sensors on the unit are and what they are for. :???:

Redline
    bullet, what is this double lock feature on the switchblade you're talking about? How much total did it cost to purchase and install the Clifford unit?

qs, which Clifford model do you recommend and think is the best out of the ones listed there? I have no idea what relays and sensors on the unit are and what they are for. :???:

P - You can't use Bullet as a price gauge since he's in the UK.
    The 2.5 isn't a remote start so don't worry about that one. The 1.5 will let you control 2 outside options like trunk release and window roll down and the 3.5 has 3 extra outputs. I think the 1.5 will probably be enough.

Paul

Neutral
    Can I set the 1.5 to defrost the windows? Can I also use the switchblade lock/unlock, and trunk release feature as well if I wanted to? Is the unit on the 1.5 just as small as the 3.5? And you said the Clifford unit is much smaller than the other brands correct?

Redline
    Can I set the 1.5 to defrost the windows?
    with som eoptional parts, yes.

Can I also use the switchblade lock/unlock, and trunk release feature as well if I wanted to?
    Why would you want to? the Clifford remote will do it when you arm/disarm the alarm.

[quote]Is the unit on the 1.5 just as small as the 3.5?[/quote

Yes, the remotes are the same, it's the brain that's different.

And you said the Clifford unit is much smaller than the other brands correct?
    Correct.

Paul

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by quality_sound
    Can I also use the switchblade lock/unlock, and trunk release feature as well if I wanted to?
    Why would you want to? the Clifford remote will do it when you arm/disarm the alarm.
    Because it just looks so damned cool to disarm the alarm and hit that button and have the key just flip out, all on one unit! 8)

But it is possible to use either one to disarm the alarm right?

Edit: I just checked the Clifford site again and the 1.5 doesn't have a security lock/unlock feature, only the 3.5 does.

Redline
    That's right. The 1.5 is remote start only. My bad. :oops:

When wired correctly, the alarm will work like this. Clifford remote will lock and arm, unlock and disarm, trunk release and remote start and the OEM alarm WILL NOT FUNCTION. The ONLY thing the SB will be used for is a key, you WILL NOT use ANY of the buttons on it for ANYTHING.

Paul

Neutral
    So is what you wrote also applicable if I get the 1.5? I'm really looking at the 1.5 since the SB already has the trunk release, lock/arm, and unlock/disarm features. Plus the 1.5 looks like it will be more affordable for my budget at the moment.

So with that being said, can I have the 1.5 start my car and use the AUX feature to defrost my windows while still using the SB to lock/arm, unlock/disarm, and pop the trunk?

~Phøenix

Redline
    So is what you wrote also applicable if I get the 1.5? I'm really looking at the 1.5 since the SB already has the trunk release, lock/arm, and unlock/disarm features. Plus the 1.5 looks like it will be more affordable for my budget at the moment.

So with that being said, can I have the 1.5 start my car and use the AUX feature to defrost my windows while still using the SB to lock/arm, unlock/disarm, and pop the trunk?

~Phøenix
    Yes, you can, but don't think it will be a great savings. There will only be about a $100-$150 difference in price.

Paul

Neutral
    I'm an unemployed college student. $100-$150 is a huge difference in my budget! :wink: :-P

~Phøenix

Redline
    Then save. I can tell you this because I've seen it happen A LOT in 13 years, if you do just the remote start you WILL end up pulling it out and going with the full alarm and remote start. It's happened to EVERY customer I ever sold one to. Then you'll have to spend about $600 to pull everything out and get the new one in PLUS be out the $400 or so you spent the first time. All for $150.

Do the right thing.

Paul

Neutral
    Why do they change? If my Passat already has the other features on the SB, why would I want to upgrade the Clifford?

Redline
    Convenience mostly. Not to mention you'll get real tired of using both of the transmitters. Also the Clifford has a LOT more range.

Paul

Neutral
    ...and is a lot more secure than the standard VW alarm...

If you value your motor, protect it. The Passat has an excellent immobiliser, but Clifford are #1 in my book for the alarm side of security.

Believe me - if you can find the money you won't regret it!

David 8)

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information