Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Anything planned for 2017?

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Mexicokid 
#1 ·
Cruise, GTG, etc.? I'd love to meet up with other Passat people. I go to lots of VW events in the summer, but Passats aren't something you see very often.

#3 ·
I so want to go to the Tail of The Dragon. I got my W8 now. Question is...
Can I get it road worthy before then. I got full plate this year, plus my wife and I are moving to somewhere else this year.

#4 ·
What I'd like to do is get the few active posters here and do some kind of cruise and then just park the Passats somewhere and socialize. Doesn't matter where you're from, we could just pick a central location and do it. This is how national GTGs start.

#5 ·
That'd be kinda cool. Tear around somewhere with a bunch of Passat's and then maybe roll into camp ground or some state park and swap war stories all night long.

#6 ·
I would be up for the Tail this fall if I can get the time off from work. I've done a couple of long-distance meets and would like to do more. I doubt I will still have the B5, but I might have a B7 by then.

#7 ·
I was in a water-cooled Beetle group for a few years, and what we did was have modern Beetle-specific GTGS. It was New Beetles and 2012+ Beetles only because your typical VW club or show has either a sea of air-cooleds or heavily-modified GTIs or both. Water Beetles don't get much respect from either faction, so we formed our own gatherings. The problem is that there were maybe 50 people in the entire US that were willing to travel to do this, and as the early water-Beetles age, that number is shrinking and in fact, there are rumors that 2018 will be the Beetle's last year. With that said, Passats aren't going anywhere. The tricky part would be getting Passat owners interested, as most are probably not enthusiasts, and would probably be as unorthodox as putting a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry group together, but I'd sure like to give it a shot. I'm certain that it would start with very small numbers.

#9 ·
I'm sure there are enough 'enthusiasts' in here, but it would require us putting down our book of excuses and actually making it happen.
Like me and the Tail run. 3 years in a row now I've told myself, yep next year baby, I'm doin' it. Yeah well, still haven't made it yet. There's always this year though. :whistle:

#10 ·
I'm a VW enthusiast, but very different from what most define as one. Instead of insisting that a car has to be either an old air-cooled model or at the other extreme, some heavily modified GTi that's lowered, bagged, tuned, etc, I like my VWs just as they come from the factory. I would absolutely love to pattern a VW (or just Passat) GTG after the old Saturn Homecoming events that used to take place (or even current Mini Cooper gatherings), with just average owners that simply love their cars without having to resort to spending thousands of dollars on modifications or wheels, etc.

#11 ·
An attempt at a bump here: My idea: First, find everyone on here with a Passat that would be interested, and then pick an agreed-upon central location to hold a weekend cruise. There probably wouldn't be that many people, but anything would be a start. Anyone interested?

#12 ·
Are you looking for people in WI only, or anywhere in the U.S. There used to be a few others from WI but they haven't been around in this forum for a while now.

I'm sure PZ would love to host a Passat event at his house even more EPIC than the last epic turn out he had. I'm still in awe over that one, and I only saw the pictures. :bowdown:

Reactions: PZ
#14 ·
Anywhere in the US...well , people in Alaska or Hawaii might have issues.....but yeah, anywhere. The water-Beetle people I mentioned a few posts above were from all over the place, even a couple from Canada. There are only about 50 such people that much into water-Bugs in the whole of North America and probably less into Passats, but I'm up for it. So far, we have Wisconsin and Oklahoma, so someplace like Missouri, maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.