Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

B5.5 TDI

16K views 57 replies 10 participants last post by  j-MAL 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I suppose I will use this thread to highlight all of the changes that I do with my B5.5 Passat TDI, as of right now it's bone stock, and quite boring lol. I bought the car for mega cheap ($1450) with a blown transmission, since buying it, I have put in a 'new' used transmission, did the timing belt, brakes and control arms, as I was planning on flipping it... but that didn't happen. I ended up selling my other daily (B5 Passat Variant), since it would have costed me more to own over the long run than the TDI.

So yeah, winter is coming and the brainstorming has already begun and since I cannot keep a vehicle I own in a bone stock state, this will also help me keep track of all the changes I do. I didn't really do that with my Mk3 which now has a 1.8T in it. But what can ya do!?

Here she be.

A new update actually will be coming sooner than I even thought! Stay tuned.

EDIT: actually, as of right now it isn't totally stock! I put in a Phatnoise, since I loved it sooo much in my Mk3! BOOM!

See less See more
#34 · (Edited)
Yeah I believe the pilot bearings are different, but I have more experience with transverse style 1.8T's. Depending on what year your car is, if you're just changing the trans, you won't need to change the ECU, just have some of the values changed in the EEPROM to allow (mainly) the cluster to recognize that there isn't a TCU required to operate the transmission.

If you decide to change the engine and trans, you will need to change the cluster, ecu and key (ignition) so that the immobilizer sees a commonality and allows you to start your car. Unless you get the ECU's immobilizer 'defeated' (ie. removed), through programming. Most ECU reflashers (REVO, APR, Malone Tuning, Unitronics) can do that for a fee, you just need to find a re-seller near you to do that.

#43 ·
Thanks man, really appreciate it! You should take some more photos of my car in a non-parking-lot filled-with-other-cars sort of shoot. lol :)

nice jamal. Jeff was telling me about your rims the other day. Looks great!
Thanks man. Yeah they seem to get a lot of attention. Still not completely satisfied with the drop. Need to take out rear collars lol.

Yeah saw the coverage from SpringFling, car looks awesome! Wish I could have made it but had to work, so. :(
Yeah, more Passat love was needed there!

#57 ·
Hey Jamal, still on the sawblades eh?

Nice seeing you the other day, I've let my car slide a bit lately but I've tried to counter that by dumping it. need to get my fenders rolled for better drive-ability or take off the spacers.

done anything new to the ride?

Anyways,
take care.

#58 ·
Damn. I haven't updated this in some time. Hope everyone is doing well!

Seeing how I'm on a bit of a downtime with my Passat and having not driven it a while (since last year), I've been going stir crazy to drive it again.
So... for the last couple of years my car has looked like this with the above mods, but now with Reiger Front Valence, Votex Sideskirts, Votex Rear Valence and 'M3'-style trunk lip and Land Rover wheels.

Just this spring I have added 034Motorsport Street Density Engine / Transmission mounts, Lower Control Arms and Solid Subframe bushings and the wheels, Keskin KT1's colour-matched. Also did the front euro bumper trims, and have the rear one to install soon, and added a New South Boost gauge.

This past weekend I've noticed the signs of cam shaft lobe wear and likely lifter damage, so that job will be getting completed with with a Colt Cam put in its place and while it's all apart, a BSM delete... and just to think, I only did the timing belt only about 10k ago *facepalm*.

So it sits until I get that stuff done in the next week or so, once the cam arrives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.