Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2007 Passat 2.0T MIL P2181

15K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jdiaz 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2007 Passat 2.0T with a CEL. Here's the description of the code + freeze frame info:

1 Fault Found:
008577 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System
P2181 - 008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 105914 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2012.11.03
Time: 05:44:12

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2081 /min
Load: 61.9 %
Speed: 104.0 km/h
Temperature: 75.0°C
Temperature: 8.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.097 V

I have searched here and on GIS, and found conflicting information. I did the AC on while cabin fan set to 1 test, and found both radiator fans not turning on. I ran the engine for a while and both fans come on during high speed. I also tried clearing out the code thinking having the AC on could cause the error code (since it's getting quite chilly nowdays), but the light came back on after a couple of days.

I'm leaning towards the fan control module, but some posting indicates that it's a separate module, while others claim that it's built into the fan assembly. Some posts suggest CTS (Temperature sensor), but I haven't found any link between CTS and the low speed fan mode. Also, there's a talk about there being two CTSs in the car, one near the firewall, and under the car.

Is there anyone here who can help me figure out what could cause the low speed fans not to kick in when AC is on, and if it's ever related to P2181 code? I have one CTS ordered as it's the easiest part to replace, but I have a feeling that it might not be the root of the problem. Could thermostat cause low speed fan not to kick in? The car doesn't overheat, nor the freeze frame indicate any temperature issue (and I've also verified that the high speed fans kick in). Also, is there a relay that controls the low speed fans?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 06 2.0T as well. Having the same issue...p2181. I clear it and it comes back 2-8 days later. It will reset (ie, no CEL) after a while. But FF data is stored. What part # did your order and where did you get your sensor? My temp does not fluctuate and my heat works just fine.

my FF data:

Parameter Description Results
DTC for which Freeze Frame was Stored P2181
Fuel System 1 Status Closed Loop
Fuel System 2 Status Not Supported
Calculated LOAD Value 19.61 %
Engine Coolant Temp 161.60 °F
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 -1.56 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 11.72 %
Engine RPM 1,840.00 rpm
Vehicle Speed Sensor 22.37 mph
Ignition Timing Advance #1 Cylinder 32.00 °
Intake Air Temperature 75.20 °F
Air Flow Rate Mass Air Flow Sensor 1.35 lb/min
Absolute Throttle Position 17.65 %
Time Since Engine Start 910 sec

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.