Whining in my 2007 2.0T engine when in idle or decelerating. help!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Whining in my 2007 2.0T engine when in idle or decelerating. help!

Hey guys. New to the forum and wanted to see if anyone has had this problem and can give me a better idea of what it may be. After my car has driven a few miles, I get a whine coming from the drivers side of the engine that only goes away when I accelerate. It sounds like a cat is duct taped to teh engine and before I take it to my vdub place I wanted to get a better handle on it. My husband looked at the belts and said they look fine, but he drives a Lexus and isn't exactly a car guy.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Forgot to mention that it is a 2007.
    Kimmie

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral

Whining noise under hood

Kimmie;
    I have a used 2008 Passat 2.0T Wagon. Great car, during the test drive, I thought I had a great car. However, about 30 minutes into the drive home, the cat woke up.
    When I got tired of the screaming cat under my hood when I was idling or when running steaddy at ~55mph, I took it to the dealer, since I could not see anything out of the ordinary. (Fortunately still under warrenty)
    Dealer said the sheathed aluminimum portion of the PCV Valve hose was cracked. They replaced it and the cat left the car.
    I had tried a local dealer, he only pulled the P0104 code. (didn't have the VW Vag Com system.)
    The VW dealer (2 hour drive away) pulled the following codes. P0480, P2279, P2187, P0507, P0691, P0300, P0303, P0304, P0302.
    Most of these codes indicate some sort of vacum leak and problems associated with said cracked hose. The replacement parts were as follows
    Gasket 06F103483E
    Valve 06F129101E
    Vent Hose 06F103221H
    Lots of info;
    Hope this helps

Mike

Neutral
    we had an engine mount come loose on the timing belt one side, it would whine during deceleration and idling.
    If this is what happened to you, then you can idle the engine and rock the engine a bit to see if it makes any difference?

1st Gear
    kimmie, see the link I posted in your other thread one level up on the forums.

1st Gear
    just posted this in your other thread...

I took my wagon into the dealer today for this as well as a couple of other things... as was described in the link above, removing the oil cap and/or dipstick caused the sound to immediately cease (along with an odd vacuum sound and the engine getting really angry, shaking all over the place until the cap was put back).

it's the breather assembly just below the plastic cover. repair was under warranty (I've got a CPL, but it's still under stock warranty too) and took all of a couple of hours (including all the other stuff I had done).

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information