DIY - Replacing Coolant Temp Sensors in the W8
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    uu8
    The Rubberband Man

Post DIY - Replacing Coolant Temp Sensors in the W8

Hey-

It's time for another W8 related write-up. These temp sensors suck!

Anyway, the other day I decided to make a go of swapping the buggers out- I'm tired of hearing the electric cooling fans rumbling to life first thing in the morning immediately after I start the car. With this, combined with a soft code of P3081 (Engine temp too low(????!)), I decided to do the work. And I'm quite sure the W8 community will be happy to see more write-ups specific to our tight engine compartments!

Alright.

Parts required:

- 2 new ECT sensors p/n 06A-919-501-A
    - 2 new seals p/n N-903-168-02
    - Patience....

Tools required:

- Long needle nose pliers
    - 6mm Ellen wrench
    - Phillips head screw driver
    - Flashlight or working light. A Mini-Mag is perfect.
    - Bentley Manual
    - Knuckle cream....

Start by removing the air intake tubing and the triangular mouth piece that attaches to the front wall above the radiator. Set aside. if the engine is warm, slowly unscrew the coolant reservoir to release pressure.

Once these are removed you will see the coolant return hose directly below. The sensor in question attaches at the underside of the elbow as seen below.

BEFORE you remove the metal retaining clip from the housing, have a new sensor and seal ready to insert into the hole. This will minimize the amount of coolant lost.

I decided to first remove the electrical plug before pulling the sensor from the hole. This kept the plug dry.

Pull the retaining clip out with your fingers. The plug is in the hole fairly snug, so a good tug will do the trick. At this point, have the new sensor ready to fill the hole.

You may lose a few ounces of coolant with this maneuver, but don't sweat it. Replace what you lose.

Reinsert the retaining clip as you apply firm upward pressure on the sensor. The sensor should sit securely in place with very little play. Next, reattach the plug.

Not too difficult, right? Good. The next one is a pain....

Now, onto the second sensor at the rear of the engine.

First, you need to make some room.

I found best to remove the tube completely from it's location. Use a 6mm ellen wrench to undue the attachment to the manifold. You will need every square inch/cm of space to squeeze in your grubby little hands.

Now pull the plastic clip out of the housing. Pull the sensor out. Some coolant might leak out but very little if any. Disconnect the plug and set aside.

Now, I can't begin to tell you the Hell I went through trying to secure the sensor into place! Do not...I mean DO NOT plug in the new sensor before it is secure in the housing. The inside of the housing tapers in, so the closer the sensor will get to its final resting place the HARDER you will have to push it into the hole, and this area is SO tight it's difficult to get any leverage. With the plug on the sensor you risk damaging the low voltage wires.

I couldn't muster enough hand pressure to get the sensor far enough up into the housing to install the retaining clip . Seeing as how I apparently forgot to eat my Wheatie's that morning, all I had left was to use my brain. (My brain. If my brain were a car it would have primer and bondo spots all over and the title would be salvaged. )

To get the sensor in the correct position I used an ellen wrench in my left hand and applied firm pressure to the back end.

Insert the retaining clip when the brass ring on the sensor is high enough above the clip grooves on the housing. You will know if it is in the correct position when the clip easily inserts.

With the clip back on, grip the sensor and feel for proper seating. You will want to have very little play. Attach the plug.

All that is left to do is to reattach the intake tubing and determine the amount of coolant you'll need to replace.

Hopefully this procedure will solve the soft coding mystery and will keep the fans from turning on unnecessarily. If it doesn't work, keep your eyes open for a "DIY Thermostat Replacement for the W8" thread by yours truly!

uu8

Oh yeah....the upper intake manifold makes a GREAT work bench!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Although I do not have a W8, nice write up!

3rd Gear
    Great write up -- I don't envy your tight engine bay! Hehe.

uu8
    The Rubberband Man
    Tight, in a bad way.....

uu8
    The Rubberband Man
    Addendum:

After I put the car back together and started her up, the electric cooling fans came on once again. Grrrr! Anyway, I VAG-COM'd it again and got the 16502/P0118/000280 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62): Signal too High code. After checking RossTech Wiki for the code I decided it may have been an anomaly. Long story short- i cleared the code, unhooked the cable, and started the engine with no fan turning on!

Wahoo!

uu8

uu8
    The Rubberband Man
    Update:

I am three weeks out from this repair and still no codes or fan problem. Seems to have done the trick.

uu8

Lefties have rights, too!
    Very nice write up and kudos to you for even attempting it.

uu8
    The Rubberband Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Parish View Post
    Very nice write up and kudos to you for even attempting it.

Thanks, b5crazy. The rear ECT sensor is a real pita. Too tight a space for my banana hands. Next up might be a throttle body cleaning.

uu8

uu8
    The Rubberband Man

Another electric fan issue!!!

Last edited by uu8; 09-24-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Neutral
    I got the same alarm. I clear alarm to make sure if will back or not. I heard also that problem might be releated in water pump (I hope not!!) I check coolant is OK (but I heard only G12 coolant need to be used). UU8 do you still have this alarm? What manual (notice it on the engine) you have used as references?

uu8
    The Rubberband Man
    Quote Originally Posted by proximus26 View Post
    I got the same alarm. I clear alarm to make sure if will back or not. I heard also that problem might be releated in water pump (I hope not!!) I check coolant is OK (but I heard only G12 coolant need to be used). UU8 do you still have this alarm? What manual (notice it on the engine) you have used as references?
    I have a Bentley manual. Great resource. I also the Search button here A LOT! Do a search for Climatronic codes and coolant sensors.

Do you have a W8 as well?

Also, a VAG-COM is a very valuable tool to diagnose problems.

uu8

Neutral
    Yes,

I do have 2002 W80 with 70k at the moment and this is first problem I got... let say more then one.

I got also:

01119 - Gear Recognition 35-10 - - - Intermittent under ABS

and few HVAC alarms. i clear them all at the moment to make sure if all will back. I used VAG-COM. However I`m worry little since I didn`t pass ODBII test. Some of field will say Error or incomplete results :-(. I know that all was green before :-).

I will check Bentley manual for further references.

Thank you.

Neutral
    "With this, combined with a soft code of P3081 (Engine temp too low(????!)), I decided to do the work."

Soft code I assume means that it does not throw the SES Light? Would the free SES light check at Autozone or a simmilar parts shop read this code?

On Saturday my W8 began this exact fan running issue....

Thanks for the help!

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information