Tie rod's

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JayTheSnork
  • 1 Post By ATWPASSAT1.8T

Thread: Tie rod's

3rd Gear

Tie rod's

2004 V6 170k miles.

I am having issues with removing either... I want to replace the inner and outer but they both spin inside the rubber bushings. I can not reach the 1 time clip on the inner (furthest) one close to the motor (dust cover) to expose the large nut on the inner tie rod get a wrench on it to remove the entire thing.

Any ideas?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3rd Gear
    Figured it out. A long screwdriver and bang the crap out of it until you can get it in between the straps and twist and turn it till it breaks free...This was on the passangers side which was easier to get too. The one on the drivers side was hidden so I cut the boot. Then had acess to the 1 time clamp. $15 bucks for a new boot. Maybe I could have reached it better had I not been in a rush but it is all going back together

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    all you have to do is turn the wheel to one side and then the other to get access to the clamps 'o' doom, never a need to cut the boot.
    KSEADUB likes this.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTheSnork View Post
    all you have to do is turn the wheel to one side and then the other to get access to the clamps 'o' doom, never a need to cut the boot.
    Yea we tried that but the 1 time clamp was put on in a way that we couldn't see it let alone get to it. Maybe we didn't turn the wheel enough? I just wanted to get the new ones on.

Hopefully I will have time for an alignment today and when their at it they can put the new boot on. Tight now it's got a plastic bag zipped tied to it to keep grime off the rack/ pinion shaft.

3rd Gear
    This is the 3rd boot I have tried to use and this one from the dealer isn't right!!!!! I am having issues with the inner size on the boot. Where it connects to the trans. It's either way too small or too big.

Any ides?? Is there a # or ID tag on a steering rack that will point me towards the right boot?

Thank you

I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
    You mean where it slips onto the steering rack?

It's a tight fit and can be a bit fiddly to get on, but it is possible. I use zip ties to replace the clamps.

3rd Gear
    Yes where it goes on the rack. The boot end is either too small (will fit inside the rack) or it's too big (the boot bunches up when you clamp it down.....

3rd Gear
    Asking for help on this again. Are there different racks that came on the 2004 GLX V6 with automatic?

I really need to find the correct boot. I hate driving it with only the smaller end clamped down

Neutral
    Are these the part numbers you got?

8D0419831K right
    4D0419831E left
    VAGguy likes this.

Glutton for Punishment: 13 CC Sport Plus, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant Manual swapped, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T (crushed)

3rd Gear
    Yes the one I got from CARQUEST ends with the k and that is the one that isn't fitting. Guess that one is for the passenger side.

The one I got from the dealer ends with the E so I'm hoping that one is the correct one. Even though it doesn't look big enough.

3rd Gear
    Update.

After trying to get this boot issue resolved once and for all I ended up putting the boot in the microwave for about 4 min to warm it up, sprayed the end with some PB Blaster and was finally able to pop the boot onto the trans side I was very glad when I felt/heard it 'pop' on.

I hope the Zip Tie is going to hold it in place.

Thank you for all who chimed in on this issue

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information