Fluid changed

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tomvw
  • 1 Post By indebt

Thread: Fluid changed

1st Gear

Fluid changed

My vw has been nickel and diming me lately, the last thing i want todo is replace more shit... i was going to a turkey baster fluid flush on both brake and PS. Never done a brake flush with a clutch car, and tips?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    Flush the brakes first, then flush the clutch.
    Use a pressure bleeder.
    RoosterEggs likes this.

1st Gear
    ^ ^ ^ This.
    You can get a basic pressure bleeder (w/ a German-style adapter) for $50:
    Tools Volkswagen Brake Tools

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomvw View Post
    Flush the brakes first, then flush the clutch.
    Use a pressure bleeder.
    I was going to flush the brakes using a turkey baster sacking old fluid out put new in, pump brakes 3-4 times and repeat... never heard of this pressure bleeder, what does it do? Also how do you bleed the clutch, I figured they were in the same system

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    I was going to flush the brakes using a turkey baster sacking old fluid out put new in, pump brakes 3-4 times and repeat... never heard of this pressure bleeder, what does it do? Also how do you bleed the clutch, I figured they were in the same system

Absolutely get a pressure bleeder, it attaches to the reservoir and forces fluid through. It makes bleeding the brakes and clutch a cake walk. Use the turkey baster to remove the old fluid from the reservoir before you attach the bleeder and you will have less fluid to force through the system. The clutch is on the same reservoir, with the pressure bleeder attached and pressurized, crack open the bleeder on the slave cylinder just as you would do on a brake caliper. If I remember correctly, the slave cylinder bleeder can be reached from the top by moving the coolant expansion tank.

1st Gear
    Turkey baster is still step 1 - suck out as much old fluid as possible. Then fill the reservoir (& the bleeder), and push new fluid thru the system.
    The pressure bleeder does just that - it pressurizes the brake system (to 15-20psi), and pushes fluid thru for you. All you need to do is open & close the valves. Once you use one, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

The clutch hydraulics are actually independent of the brakes - it just happens to share the same fluid source (reservoir.)

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppie View Post
    Turkey baster is still step 1 - suck out as much old fluid as possible. Then fill the reservoir (& the bleeder), and push new fluid thru the system.
    The pressure bleeder does just that - it pressurizes the brake system (to 15-20psi), and pushes fluid thru for you. All you need to do is open & close the valves. Once you use one, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

The clutch hydraulics are actually independent of the brakes - it just happens to share the same fluid source (reservoir.)
    I absolutely love my pressure bleeder. Mine happens to be a powermotive one; the same as in your earlier posted link. I actually bought the adapter to use it on my 2004 GMC sierra when I couldn't get the ABS block to bleed the old fashioned way. It worked great.

1st Gear
    unlike the brake calipers, the clutch bleed port is made out of plastic, so back it out gently. try without using tools first. do not mash it or push it sideways.

see post #2 for the sequence.

FYI, the feed to the clutch line is further up the brake fluid reservoir by design.

3rd Gear
    No reason to touch the power steering unless you have an issue.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXClark View Post
    No reason to touch the power steering unless you have an issue.
    Wouldn't not changing cause an issue?

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Wouldn't not changing cause an issue?

Not that I have ever seen from multiple owners over a long term.

3rd Gear
    It won't cause any problems as long as you use the right fluid and get the air out. It would just be at the bottom of my to do list with the other issues you are dealing with unless there is something going on with it.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXClark View Post
    It won't cause any problems as long as you use the right fluid and get the air out. It would just be at the bottom of my to do list with the other issues you are dealing with unless there is something going on with it.
    Well its was cheap and easy, might aswell before something happens... as of right now, all i need is new pcv system, valve cover gasket (again), and brake fluid flush...

I used chf 11s

That was before, and it was 100% green after a liter of the fluid, so im happy.

twowagens likes this.

1st Gear
    Actually i think thats after? Haha, phone sucks

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information