Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Flex joint pipe

Tags
flex joint pipe
3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jeffw79 
#1 ·
I need to have my flex pipe replaced. I have an 04 GLS 1.8T AWM. Im pretty sure the exhaust is 2.25", but I've been reading about people using 2.00 flex pipes. I also want to make sure I get the right length. Is it 4"? What about the overall length?

I found a couple of stainless ones at Summit Racing. The ends on them are a little different though. Both of them are 2" X 4. What style do I need? Any help is appreciated.

Text Product Web page Font Screenshot

See less See more
#4 ·
2" (50mm) is the correct size but not sure about length. Just drive it up on ramps and measure. The 2" slides inside the pipe I believe. 2.25" would need a butt weld (more difficult esp. in tight spaces.)

FWIW you can get the whole downpipe for less than $100 online & unless you've got mad welding skills to re&re with the pipe in place (very tight spot to cut/weld in) I'd opt to replace the whole thing & the gaskets and be done with it as you'll be taking it out anyways.

#6 ·
When I was in MN I had the Apple Valley Midas replace my flex pipe. They were the only ones capable/willing to weld a new piece in. Everyone else said there wasn't enough room for them to weld. They were able to weld the piece in on the car.

It's been 2 years since I've been there, but when I was there last they still had an ex-VW tech working there. (Recognized him from my dealership trips). Lately I've heard there's a new VW/Euro shop in Burnsville that is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.