Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

'99 1.8 AEB Headlights not on for daylight running or when selected

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  sirwired 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE - the Headlight (H7) bulbs were burnt out
=========================
As you know, usually when I turn the car on the headlights will illuminate for day-time running lights, and then when I turn the headlight knob to the 12 O'clock position, the yellow lights come on in addition, as well as the dash illuminates. For some reason last week, my headlights didn't come on for daylight running or when i selected the 12 O'clock position. I thought it odd that they both went out at the same time. I can get my headlights to come on if i have the dial at 12 o'clock position, then pull the dial out, getting the green light on the left of the dial (is this a backup if the primary element on the bulb burns out?). Also my high beams seem to work just fine. I changed out the lamps but that had no effect and the old bulbs look fine. Is this a bad switch or wire or fuse?

Thanks,
Crit

#9 ·
I can get my headlights to come on if i have the dial at 12 o'clock position, then pull the dial out, getting the green light on the left of the dial (is this a backup if the primary element on the bulb burns out?).
That's not the headlights, that's the fog lights. Very different beam pattern, produced by the second element in the dual-element 9003 bulb; the other is the high beam. The low beams are your H7's. Bet they're burned out.

#10 ·
Also carefully check the wiring insulation around the lamp sockets.
There was an issue with the insulation braking off and shorting the wires, blowing fuses ect.

#12 ·
As Scott said, the H7's are your low beam/DRL. The 9003 is for high beams and "fog lights".

Check/ change the bulbs before doing anything else... As I said earlier, 99% of the time, blown bulbs are the issue. Don't go on the same wild goose chase we've seen over and over by others...

#14 ·
I am definitely going to replace the bulbs first. I probably would have been done with this already, but the associate at Pep Boys "helped" me by looking up my "headlight" and directed me to the 9003.

So is the fog light pattern really that different that it would come in handy during foggy conditions?

#15 ·
A fog light pattern casts a spread of light low and wide, directly in front of the car. Perfect for foggy conditions when you're driving slower and viability distance is reduced. Light shining up just illuminates the fog brighter and makes it harder to see through it to objects down the road.

The regular headlight pattern is not as wide and throws out further down the road.

#16 ·
Turns out just the H7 bulbs were burned out (both at the same time). The passenger side harness and wire insulation was very brittle, so i had to wrap a goodly amount of electrical tape around that one after i swapped the bulbs.

I also took the opportunity to replace my Climate Control light bulb with help from this thread http://www.passatworld.com/forums/v...nt-tips-manual-climate-control-ac-heater.html

Thanks for your help. As always, PassatWorld proves to be a priceless resource.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.