Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Picking a New Clutch

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  skurtov 
#1 ·
So its come the time that I believe I should take the preventative maintenance route and replace my clutch. Its an 03' AWM 1.8T with 166k miles on it. I've been researching a little and I don't know which kit I should pick up. I'm mainly wanting to change the clutch because I want to chip it in the near future and move to a single mass flywheel. However, no one lists the torque and BHP specs on the kits. I'd like to keep this affordable, VALUE, not cheapness, but let it be capable in handling a stage 1 tune from APR.

Valeo Single Mass Conversion
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-volkswagen-clutch-kit-a4-a4-quattro-passat-valeo-52285615

ECS RA4 Conversion
Volkswagen Passat B5 FWD 1.8T Drivetrain Clutch - RA4S1-STEEL - RA4 Conversion Clutch Kit - Stage 1 - ES#5485

Leaning toward these two. Which out of these would do the job? And if anyone else has suggestions.

#2 ·
Both are good choices...though an S4 pressure plate (ECS kit) may give your right leg some exercise. As for handling a Stage 1 APR tune, the stock clutch & PP will handle that.

I wonder whether Sachs has a single-mass upgrade like the Valeo you listed.

#5 ·
If you want a great performance clutch Talk with Mike Hood at ringer racing. Ringer Racing
I just installed a valeo clutch kit in my passat and ringer racing stg 4 clutch in my A4. The valeo clutch is good for everyday driving but the stg4 clutch is by far better. It is lighter, better balanced, the pedal is actually lighter and the clutch engagement is smoother. If I had to do it all over again I would have put one in the passat. Wasn't too happy with the previous southbend stg 3 clutch I had in it before.

#7 ·
The Valeo SMFW kit is not a lightened flywheel; it's a good stock replacement, and capable of handling a chipped 1.8T without issue-- I have it on my B5 A4 tqm. It has a nice, low engagement point too.

But it's not good for much past that, so if more mods are in the future, remember this kit's limitations.

The RA4 kit from ECS looks great too--more capacity than the Valeo. The HD clutch in my Vanagon is definitely noticable--especially when I switch back into the Audi and feel the difference. But I am not sure how much firmer the pedal becomes with the ECS kit over stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.