Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

SAI Delete Problem

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  VAGguy 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm in the middle of doing my sai delete, but my hardpipe running down the side of the engine to the combi valve looks different. There is another pipe welded to it. One end connects to the turbo inlet pipe and the other end goes around the back of the head somewhere. Does anybody know what this is?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You didn't indicate your year and engine, but in the 1.8T it's part of the PCV system. Obviously, it needs to be there. In my 2001.5, I believe the two pipes are separate pieces.

In the earlier models like mine, the puck valve is up front on the TIP, so at the back the pipe goes directly to a tee at the back of the valve cover (you'll see the coil wires pass over it in the photo). In later models, the puck valve was moved to the back of the engine (like we needed more stuff back there!).

#3 ·
Oh sorry it's a 2003 AWM, but it's not the pcv line. It's a lot smaller than that and it doesn't connect to the puck valve. It goes behind the head, and goes down under the coolant flange. Not sure where it goes from there though. I got the sai delete done though. I just cut the smaller hardline off of the larger one and remounted it. I was just curious what it was.

#8 ·
Thanks guys for the info. Yeah I know the SJP is a good thing to have and it's useful, but I just want to clean up the engine bay a bit. This thread is going to take a turn away from SAI stuff. Will I feel any difference in braking without the SJP? Is it dangerous at all to delete it?

#9 ·
I don't mean to offend - much - but I'm unable to comprehend this attitude. I mean, who would remove a part - which the designer of the vehicle deemed necessary - if there was any chance at all it would reduce the efficiency of the braking system? For the sake of "cleaning up" the engine bay, of all silly things?

#10 ·
It's quite a different feel. It requires considerbly more pedal pressure without it. My 99 sjp was removed before I bought it. You just need to rest your foot on the brakes for my 04 to start slowing down. My 99, you really have to push. It makes my 04 seem touchy.

In fact, I made add it back on. You know, for fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.