Are these engine codes related
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Are these engine codes related

Had not driven my 01 Passat for a week, and when I started it up it ran rough for a bit and the Emissions Workshop and engine light came on. Pulled the codes and got these:

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
    Controller: 3B0 907 551 BR
    Component: 2.8L V6/5V G 0001
    Coding: 07251
    Shop #: WSC 05311
    6 Faults Found:
    16539 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: Heating Circuit Malfunction
    P0155 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    16519 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Heating Circuit Malfunction
    P0135 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0300 - 35-00 - -
    16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
    P0302 - 35-00 - -
    16689 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
    P0305 - 35-00 - -
    16690 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
    P0306 - 35-00 - -
    Readiness: 0000 0000

Later in the trip, the car ran well, with no further signs of misfiring (that I could detect). I am just curious if these codes might be related or indicate some overall cause.

I was thinking that it is time to replace the vacuum lines, which I think might have caused the misfires, but they would not seem to be related to the O2 sensor ones.

I cleared the codes and we'll see if they return, but any insights would be welcomed.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Post up the results of a new scan after you've driven the car several days. Both sensors may be failing, may be a bad connection or bad ground to those sensors. Were you unplugging connectors with the ignition ON?

Those two sensors are what the ECM uses to keep fuel delivery as accurate as possible. They need to heat up to a certain temperature to function properly. They have a heating element built into them to help them achieve and maintain the proper temperature. The ECM controls power to these heater circuits. The ECM can tell if these circuits aren't behaving properly and it can issue codes when it thinks something is wrong.

If the O2 sensors aren't coming on-line due to a heater malfunction, the ECM will operate in open-loop and sort of guess at fueling. This can cause rough running and misfires.

Neutral
    Thanks Steve. I was not unplugging any connectors before this, but think maybe I should clean out the O2 connectors or at least check them for tightness and oxidation.

Any clues as to where to find those connectors?

4th Gear
    The O2 connectors are on the firewall, fairly large, should be two black, a green, and a brown. My A4 has three on the passenger side, the last on the driver's side behind the coolant tank.

Neutral
    Ok it's a couple of months later, and time to revive this thread. I cleared the codes back in Sept, and then drove with no problems for two months or so. Then this week the Emissions Workshop warning and a CEL came up. Pulled the codes and they read:

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 3B0 907 551 BR
    Component and/or Version: 2.8L V6/5V G 0001
    Software Coding: 07251
    Work Shop Code: WSC 05311
    7 Faults Found:
    16519 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Heating Circuit Malfunction
    P0135 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
    P0301 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
    P0304 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    16539 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: Heating Circuit Malfunction
    P0155 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor: B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
    P1114 - 35-00 - -
    16524 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: No Activity
    P0140 - 35-00 - -

Cleared the codes and went for a drive. After about 50 miles or so the CEL and emissions workshop came back on. The codes this time were similar:

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 3B0 907 551 BR
    Component and/or Version: 2.8L V6/5V G 0001
    Software Coding: 07251
    Work Shop Code: WSC 05311
    3 Faults Found:
    17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor: B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
    P1114 - 35-00 - -
    16524 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: No Activity
    P0140 - 35-00 - -
    16518 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: No Activity
    P0134 - 35-00 - -

I am trying to make sense of this and figure out what's up rather than just throwing parts at it. My take (as a novice at this) is that the repeat of the no activity may be pointing to a bad connection. So check the wiring and clean connectors (which I didn't do before, since the problem seemed to go away).

Any other thoughts? Should I just bite the bullet and replace the O2 sensors, are these codes indicative of how they fail (or have failed)?

Something else?

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    How many miles are on those sensors? If they have seen 100,000 miles of service, it's about time to replace them anyhow. Sensors react slower and slower over time. Even if they are still working, the speed at which they react can effect fueling accuracy. I'd replace the S1 sensor first and see how it goes from there (that's the more important of the two).

Neutral
    Car and sensors have 110k on them, so it is probably time to replace them.

Tried cleaning the connectors on the firewall, and that made no difference. I'll do a quick check underneath for broken/frayed wires, but it looks like it's probably time for a new sensor or two.

Any "common knowledge" on brands of sensors to get or avoid, and a place to buy them?

Neutral
    I had similar codes come up with my 1.8t awhile back. I only had the one O2 code, upstream only for me. But I did have the combo of cylinder misfires also. Have you watched the lambda field w your VAG? You can monitor it while your driving, or have a friend ride shotty with a laptop so you can keep you eyes on the road. Ive used the graphing via save but its just nice to have someone watching the numbers while you drive. AFAIK the lambda should stay close to 1.0 unless you really get onto the throttle or get high RPMS where you need more fuel in the mix. I think it can get to .85 under heavy load. But if your lambda sensor / element is broke, aka O2 is dead or dying the ECU will just leave it at 1.0 and assume a fuel mix. When my O2 needed to be replaced I saw this scenario and I got a "running lean" code too.

Regarding the previous misfires use the VAG for that too. I think w your v6 the cylinder misfire counter will be a different field than mine but you should be able to look that up pretty quick or just jump through the fields, I think the misfire field resides in the lower end of the spectrum. Ill look up the field and post it if I can find it for your engine. How old are you coils? Have you had any fuel mixture or fuel metering codes thrown?

Not sure since I have 1.8t but I had the same combo of errors, mine ended up being 2 bad coils and one bad O2 sensor. GL

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve777 View Post
    Car and sensors have 110k on them, so it is probably time to replace them.

Tried cleaning the connectors on the firewall, and that made no difference. I'll do a quick check underneath for broken/frayed wires, but it looks like it's probably time for a new sensor or two.

Any "common knowledge" on brands of sensors to get or avoid, and a place to buy them?
    I searched all over and after all that work ECS tuning has some of the best prices and the right parts.

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information