2000 passat wont rev over 1000 rpms
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2000 passat wont rev over 1000 rpms

hey guys i have 2000 passat 1.8t it was sitting for about 3 weeks and i went to start it today it runs, but not well at all....wont rev over 1000 rpms the EPC, Check engine, and traction control lights are all lit up. I scanned for DTC's and p1568 and p1542 keep coming up...i know there are often problems with the drive by wire system, but i have to replace the entire throttle body for that correct? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    does anyone know if the accelerator potentiometer is a common problem in these cars?

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    P1542 - Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms
    * Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) active

Possible Causes
    * Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188) faulty
    * Power Supply for Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188) faulty
    * Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188) faulty

Possible Solutions
    * Check Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188)
    o See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB), usually MVB 062
    * Power Supply for Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188) faulty
    * Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188) faulty

---------------------------------------------------------

P1568
    Idle Speed Contr.Throttle Pos. mechanical Malfunction

---------------------------------------------------------

Pull the rubber intake hose off the throttle body and inspect for excessive carbon buildup. Clean it with throttle body cleaning spray if needed. Check to see if the throttle plate moves freely or is sticking. Unplug and inspect the electrical connectors on the throttle body and re-seat securely. Inspect the wire harness leading to those connectors.

Search around for a post that outlines opening up one side of the throttle body to inspect and clean the variable resistors used to sense the throttle angle position. I know I read one on this forum somewhere.

If you have access to vag-com, try running the TBA routine.

Neutral
    thanks a lot for the advice steve. This morning i went out to start the car again and now it seems to be fine...the only dtc it is showing now is po103 so i will try to find out why it is missing and swap some coils around and see if the misfire follows. The problem with the "limp mode" is still very concerning though because i didnt actually fix something lol. Possibly it was just from sitting for a while? but we will see, Ill check to see if it will happen again and ill get back. thanks again

Neutral
    okay, epc light etc. are still gone car starts fine but misfiring bad at idle....i swapped coils 2 and 3 and still missing on cylinder 3. checked for spark on cylinder 3 coil and spark is okay. which leads me to think it could be a clogged injector on cylinder 3 or something from sitting. what is the best way to go about figuring that out? thanks

P0103 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) (G70): Signal too High

Possible Symptoms
    * Probably no serious malfunctions
    * Loss of power

Possible Causes
    * Wiring and/or connections (short circuit?)
    * Mass Air Flow (MAF) (G70) defective

Possible Solutions
    * Check wiring and connections
    * Check / Replace Mass Air Flow (MAF) (G70)

----------------------------------------------------------

The MAF is in the top half of the air box. Inspect and re-seat the connector. Spray the sensor with MAF cleaning spray.

Do you see any evidence of rodents living under the hood while the car was unused? Have you recently power-washed the engine bay?

(P0301 is a cylinder #1 misfire)

Neutral
    my mistake it was po303 thats why i was talking about a misfire because the scanner says cylinder 3 misfire. I swapped some coils around and the misfire did not follow. im going to change the plugs tomorrow or monday but i have a feeling it has something to do with the injector #3 plug was completely dry. And no i checked for any rodents nests and i didnt see anything. and i have also not power washed the engine bay recently.

3rd Gear
    2000 models do not have ICM modules, right?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Quote Originally Posted by macaddiict View Post
    2000 models do not have ICM modules, right?
    Good point. You never know with VW and the running production changes they do.
    The first post says the car has EPC and ASR, which makes it a DBW car. So it's not the AEB engine and doesn't have an ICM.

Neutral
    does anyone have any idea what the values should be at the MAF sensor connector with key on engine off? i want to make sure the correct voltage is getting to the MAF sensor....now i have a PO103 code showing. pulled the air cleaner apart and the MAF looks fairly clean. Thanks

Neutral
    also, if the MAF sensor has failed, how bad will the car run at idle? it sounds terrible and will stall ocasionally is this normal with just a bad MAF sensor?

Neutral
    To test the to see if the MAF is okay, disconnect it from the wire harness. Then start the vehicle and see if the problem is lessened. If it runs smoother, the MAF is bad, if it runs just as rough, the problem isn't with the MAF.

Neutral
    it stays the same when it plugged in or not.....but why else would it throw the MAF code

Neutral
    replaced the spark plugs today and everything seems to be MUCH better I think one or a few plugs fouled out when i orginally tried starting it after sitting and then just caused a chain reaction of stuff. EPC light is off check engine light is off (for now) hopefully it will stay away. At startup the idle is still a little bit jumpy would that be the throttle body adjusting from disconecting the battery?

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information