Can you use an OBD 2 scanner on a VW?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Can you use an OBD 2 scanner on a VW?

I think I know the answer, but can you let me know if there is one that will work on my 2003 Passat 1.8T?

Thanks,

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Yes, your 2003 Passat is OBDII compliant. There are several communication protocols used by various car manufacturers over various years that fall under the OBDII standard.

ISO 9141-2 ("CARB")
    ISO 14230 ("KWP-2000")
    ISO-15765 ("CAN")
    SAE J1850-VPW
    J1850-PWM

Research the scan tool (manufacturers website) to be sure it will interface with your year Passat. Or better yet, if buying it in person, connect it to your car to confirm it will work.

Also, research the features and functions of the scan tool. Some will only read trouble codes while others can do more, like providing live data from various sensors. Usually, the more capable tools cost more.

I have the vag-com HEX+CAN setup and as expected, it works with every VW & Audi I've tried it on. In OBDII mode, it works with my bosses BMW but not with several older OBDII American cars I've tried it on.

Hopefully, other forum members will chime in with which scan tools have and have not worked successfully for them.

Neutral

Actron CP9180 works with '99 1.8T

I have an Actron CP9180, and I can use that with my 1999 1.8T AEB to read the more generic engine codes as well as real-time data (engine temp, RPM, throttle position, etc.). I can't read any VW-specific info, such as ABS, however.

Not sure about AT...I have a 5sp manual.

I'm also not sure if there are B5 vs. B5.5 differences in what's accessible via ODB-II.

Neutral
    Thanks for the replies.

Don

4th Gear
    I find it helpful to have VAG-COM software on a laptop computer as well as a $60 generic OBD-II scanner for quick-and-convenient troubleshooting. My little generic scanner can handle more than 90% of the problems I encounter.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by John_E View Post
    I find it helpful to have VAG-COM software on a laptop computer as well as a $60 generic OBD-II scanner for quick-and-convenient troubleshooting. My little generic scanner can handle more than 90% of the problems I encounter.
    Can you use a standard ODB tool with vagcom software? I have a scanner, and its great for engine codes, but I really would like to have a scan done on my brake system, and not have to drop 90 bux to do it.

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information