P1545 - throttle body adaptation or other?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    2nd Gear

P1545 - throttle body adaptation or other?

I left my car for 4 weeks - battery was dead when I got back. Jumped it this morning - everything worked fine. Ran it for 30min, and then tried to restart - no go. Having no immediate alternative, I called AAA and they came out to jump and "test" my new battery (the battery is 6 months old). Anyway, after telling me my battery was bad, he proceeded to disconnect my terminals, clean them, and then spray to limit corrosion. Somewhere in this process, my car's TB configuration must have been hosed, because after I started the car, it was lunging and cutting out when trying to accelerate. Just had it towed home. When I started the car at home, it threw the p1545 code. I was reminded of a similar incident 8 years ago involving the throttle body adaptation. That time, the dealer convinced me to replace the TB - probably a stupid move considering it probably only needed to be re-configured.

Anyway, I read on a PW thread that it may be possible to re-adapt the TB using a manual procedure. Something like opening the driver's door, the hood and then putting the key in the accessory position for 2 minutes. The directions were a tad bit vague, and it was entirely unclear if it would even work with my car (v6 99). Anyone have any advice? The last thing I want to do is take my car to VW to be charged $100 for 5min worth of computer time. I have an email into someone on the vag-com list, but I don't know how up-to-date that is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    I forget where you're located. I'm in Chicago and have vag-com.

I don't know if anyone knows for sure if the "ghetto adaption" (or... hood open, door open, key to ON) works or if it only works on specific models. Some people have had no success with it while other people swear by it. I do know using vag-com works AND gives you feedback as to whether the procedure was successful or not.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
    I forget where you're located. I'm in Chicago and have vag-com.
    NC. Have a really long cable?

Q: How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?

A: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
    I don't know if anyone knows for sure if the "ghetto adaption" (or... hood open, door open, key to ON) works or if it only works on specific models. Some people have had no success with it while other people swear by it. I do know using vag-com works AND gives you feedback as to whether the procedure was successful or not.
    Do you have specific steps for the "ghetto adaptation"? Is one of the steps dancing on the back of the car while praying to the VW gods for mercy? I'd prefer vag-com also, but I'm a little desperate until I can track down a vag-com owner.

PZ
    Redline
    The cheap TBA does not work well on DBC cars. It might help enough to get the car to run, but a vagcom is best. This might help: New VAG-COM Locator Link

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    The cheap TBA does not work well on DBC cars. It might help enough to get the car to run, but a vagcom is best. This might help: New VAG-COM Locator Link
    Thanks for the link - very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LineInTheWater View Post
    Do you have specific steps ?
    The way I've heard it done is...

First all trouble codes need to be cleared.

open drivers door
    open hood
    insert key into ignition and switch it to ON (but do not start the engine)
    wait a minute or two without touching the pedals
    switch ignition OFF and remove key

Let us know if you notice any improvement.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information