What is your choice filter?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

What is your choice filter?

Newbie here. Ive been going nut's looking for filters on my car. My first spot was Wally-Mart because of their prices on oil. On prior cars, It's been easy finding most everything Ive ever needed to do a basic oil change. But now I have a Passat. I cant find anything listed in wally-marts filter application index. After doing some internet googling I found this forum had covered some filters that fit but they address some concerns. Check it out. Give me some ideas on what choice filter I should choose. I have a 99 Passat 1.8L AHA engine. I'll be filling her up on mobil 1 synthetic 10W40 Hight Mileage Check this link out. VW/AUDI 1.8T OIL FILTER SELECTION FOR TREATMENTS - Questions & Answers I did find this page interesting, FL400S, FL1A WIX 51516, Mobil 1 M-301, and FRAM XTENDED GUARD XG8A are mentioned. They talked about oil psid filter specs on the the choice filters. They also list concerns about an internal mesh reinforced media that the fram XG features that would hold the internal filter media together under pressure. The Ford filter features a by-pass valve. What dose all this mean? What is the best filter to get? If all these fit why doesn't Wally-Mart list my car in the application listing? As you can see in the picture below years 1999, 2000 these are the only cars listed

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Here is a thread I found here on our forum, one guy wrote a letter to mobil in reference to what Mobil oil filter to use. Below is a copy and paste from this thread. You can see the entire thread using this link http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42...ter-b5-v6.html

bdjones72

I sent Mobiloil and e-mail regarding this topic and this was their response:

Dear Sir,

According to my records, for the 99 Volkswagen Passat 2.8 Lt engine, you can use a Mobil 1 M1-204 filter if it was manufactured after July 2003. There is a thread grasp issue with the Volkswagen and Audi applications, since they have such short filter studs. As long as you have good thread grasp you can use the M1-204 on your 99 volkswagen passat 2.8.

Bob Buckman
    Tech Rep
    Champion Labs

pvl.marketing.internet@exxonmobil.com wrote:

>I am hoping that you can help me identify if one of your oil filters works with my car. I have a 1999 VW Passat GLS FWD 2.8L NA V6. According to your website there is no Mobil1 oil filter for my car's engine. However if I enter a 1998 Audi A4 with the same 2.8L NA V6 in the search it returns the M1-301 model filter. Can you tell me why there would be an application for the Audi V6 but not for the VW V6? More specifically can you tell me if I can use the M1-301 in my car? Thank you.
    >
    >bdjones72@msn.com

I'm not sure that I'm going to try out this filter. The last thing I want to hear is the sound of the filter blowing off as I drive down the road. I just thought I would update this for future searches

Neutral
    I still prefer Factory Filters which are made by Mann for VW/Audi use as you can buy Mann Filters for less than the 150% to 200% + Minimum mark-up the Dealers charge, I've even seen them advertised on eBay if you buy in quantity...The Bypass valve is simply there for those that never change their oil or filters and bypasses the clogged oil filter to allow oil flow thru the engine...
    What has happened in the past was with older and cheaper oil filters that just looked like a soda can with no indentations on the filter in extreme cold weather the filters used to explode when started...I worked with the people from Fram Engineering when I worked for Renault USA back in the 1970's as they supplied our USA Filters and we had them begin to explode in extreme cold weather and they had to change their design to have the strength by not having a smooth soda can filter to having the corrogated can design...
    Another expensive but very good oil filter is made by Royal Purple and their filter new and empty actually weighs more than a full old regular filter... The main reason you want to use synthetic oil with a turbo is to prevent coking which will clog and prevent oil flow thru the engine and turbo due to the extra heat involved when you shut down the engine...VW/Audi now only recommends Synthetic Oils after having to replace quite a few engines that lost oil pressure due to coking with regular oil and those that ignored idiot light for low oil pressure actually siezed their engine or put a connecting rod thru the block and destroyed their engine..
    Last edited by DCARNEY; 05-02-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: ADDED INFORMATION

5w40 and a mann filter. Get 0w40 from walmart and get a real filter from somehwhere else (autoparts store). I wish walmart would just die.

Neutral
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. Walmart at least does have good prices on oil. The 5qt mobil 1 was $24.50 and just at $6.52 for the single qts. But the shelves are always empty when i go. Its like winning a jackpot finding the viscosity you want when you need it. You can see my picture above, the shelves were pretty empty. They didn't have the 0W40 or the 5W40 so I grabbed the 10W40. I did find a site that sells the oem filters 1999 VW Passat oil filter - 2.8 V6 - German Filters

2nd Gear
    [QUOTE=DCARNEY;2739112] The Bypass valve is simply there for those that never change their oil or filters and bypasses the clogged oil filter to allow oil flow thru the engine. /QUOTE]

All engines must have a way of regulating oil pressure getting to the filter. For some the pressure relief valve is in the block, for others it is a design built into the oil filter. The pressure relief valve opens based on differential pressure - pressure coming in vs. pressure going out. Too much pressure will rip/tear the filtering media or collapse the center tube.

As you have noted the by-pass is there to insure the engine get's a supply of oil regardless of conditions that impact normal oil flow.

1st Gear
    Mobile 1 0w40, and a proper Plus sized OEM or MANN filter is the best way to go.

The larger filter will bring your car's total capacity to near 4 Quarts, and, have the proper internals.

1st Gear
    Purolator L30257 for me. It is the "larger" but not the the "largest, aka Big Kahuna, aka Mann-olator" filter. Wix 51191 also works, but the last time I bought one it cost almost twice as much as the L30257.

My 2002 AWM owner's manual says 4.3 quarts oil capacity, but 4 quarts of Mobil 1 0-W40 always fills me up.

2nd Gear

Question

ok, im attempting my first vw oil change this week/weekend and want to get a few things straight... (yes, ive searched, but pages after pages after pages have only given me a headache and confusion..lol)

Most my confusion regards the oil filter choices...
    When i do a search per vehicle specs i get one set of filters, but reading through the mass pages on here (and elsewhere) people are listing different part numbers.!!?

example:
    WIX - Oil Filter----Part# 51393 (oreilyauto)
    other suggestion: WIX - "Big Kahuna"----Part# 51333

Purolator - Oil Filter----Part# L30257
    other suggestion: Purolator "Mann Olator----Part# L40316 (according to AdvancedAuto website, this "does not fit"??)

As far as oil, I think I'm going with Mobil1 0w40, correct? or 5w40?

4th Gear
    I use OEM filters (Mann) and Castrol 5w-40. I've used Mobil 1 with good results as well. The rest of the post, I can't help with.

4th Gear
    PUROLATOR

works like a charm and its not expensive as others.

the one i have is really wide (fat)
    i use the same one for my audi a6 also.

as for oil i use mobile1 10w30 and 10w40
    i have also used castrol edge 10w30 for 2 cycles and it was good also.

the a6 is running mobile1 5w30 for now due to ridiculously low mileage
    once i hit 75k i switch to 10w40 mobile1 high mileage.

Wants to be TheFlipperGray
    I can never find Mobil1 0w-40 or 5w-40 at WalMart, which is unfortunate since it is so cheap there. I've only done 2 oil changes since I've owned my but I stocked up on supplies during an Advanced Auto Parts sale. 5 quarts Mobile1 5w-40 and a Mobil1 M1-204 filter for $30 and change. I bought enough for 3 oil changes until I find another sale. I would go OEM with the filter, but Mobil1 is a name I trust.

4th Gear
    I have used the M1 filter, but from what I've read here, it isn't as good as the K&N version. Or OEM, but better than Fram... Advance does have a sale on now for $28.99. As long as oil meets V W cert, don't sweat it.

2nd Gear
    So im driving about 55miles/day to and from work now, may have some 100-200miles trips on a weekend here and there with just over 100,000k miles... it sounds like 10w would be better for higher mileage driving than 5 or 0w?

can anyone bring some clarification to the part number confusion? or just tell me which one is best and i wont worry about it! hahaha

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by godsspeed View Post
    So im driving about 55miles/day to and from work now, may have some 100-200miles trips on a weekend here and there with just over 100,000k miles... it sounds like 10w would be better for higher mileage driving than 5 or 0w?
    Not in my opinion, for what it's worth.

For a "long trip" the oil is going to be at the 40w for almost all of it; the engine and oil heats up rather quickly. The lighter weight is the cold viscosity. The manufacturer balances getting lubrication to all parts quickly (lower viscosity) with better protection (higher viscosity). I'd tend to stick with the manufacturer's recommendation on this, even more than on the hot number.

Especially if you have a 1.8T, since the oil IS your turbocharger bearing.

2nd Gear
    You can get Mobil 1 0-40 which is a VW spec 502oil and a M1 - 301 filter at Pep Boys , Advance Auto or Autozone for around $34 for five quarts and the filter . Keep an eye on their websites for the sale - usually every month or two .

Overdrive
    Indeed. It's usually $19.95; I've got a pretty good backlog of Castrol Syntec, though I'm not so sure about the K&N oil filters they've been including.

4th Gear
    *ROTFLMAO*

What started out as a pretty legitimate question, "Exactly which oil filter will fit my V6?" has degraded into YET ANOTHER OIL THREAD?!? COME ON...

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by TheColoradoRed View Post
    I can never find Mobil1 0w-40 or 5w-40 at WalMart, which is unfortunate since it is so cheap there. I've only done 2 oil changes since I've owned my but I stocked up on supplies during an Advanced Auto Parts sale. 5 quarts Mobile1 5w-40 and a Mobil1 M1-204 filter for $30 and change. I bought enough for 3 oil changes until I find another sale. I would go OEM with the filter, but Mobil1 is a name I trust.
    yea but walmart carries moblile1 10w40 high mileage .
    and ive NEVER seen that anywhere else but walmart.

and it really is some top notch oil

5th Gear
    For god's sake. I wish we could automatically lock every new oil and oil filter thread. Are people too lazy to search?

Get an OEM filter, made by Mann or Mahle. If you can't find that, a Purolator filter will work fine. Just stay away from Fram. Any 502 oil is fine. I got lazy and was using Castrol Syntec for a while because it was slightly easier to get locally. I've gone back to using Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40. It's a great oil, and a TRUE synthetic (group IV). If you know where to look, it isn't that much more expensive than the commonly found group III synthetics (Castrol, Mobil, etc) you get at the auto parts store. Also, you said you have a 99 1.8T AHA engine? AHA is a V6.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by bill1975 View Post
    For god's sake. I wish we could automatically lock every new oil and oil filter thread. Are people too lazy to search?

Get an OEM filter, made by Mann or Mahle. If you can't find that, a Purolator filter will work fine. Just stay away from Fram. Any 502 oil is fine. I got lazy and was using Castrol Syntec for a while because it was slightly easier to get locally. I've gone back to using Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40. It's a great oil, and a TRUE synthetic (group IV). If you know where to look, it isn't that much more expensive than the commonly found group III synthetics (Castrol, Mobil, etc) you get at the auto parts store. Also, you said you have a 99 1.8T AHA engine? AHA is a V6.
    I think you may be confusing the questions (which is easy to do). the OP has a v6; I was the last to ask for claraification regarding filter part#'s and have a 1.8. but it doesnt really matter

1st Gear
    I always use the Mann filter. The local Napa usually has it, and can get one pretty quick if they don't. I always ask them to open the box to make sure it's the right one and we laugh at the size of that thing. My Chevy has twice the cylinders but uses an oil filter that's 1/3 the size of the Mann. I have a feeling only VW people think this thing is normal.

2nd Gear
    tstad9i: do you happen to know the part number for the mann filter @ napa?

1st Gear
    sorry, no I don't. I usually just call ahead with year/make/model to be sure they have one in stock before I drive out there.

Neutral

Napa filter look up

Neutral
    NAPA has a discount for Mobil oil throughout June. Most types of oil are just 4.99 per Q. plus tax. I already went and bought 8 bottles of 0W-40)

1st Gear

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DCARNEY View Post
    I still prefer Factory Filters which are made by Mann for VW/Audi
    Quote Originally Posted by nolesfan View Post
    I use OEM filters (Mann)
    Mann are not the only supplier to VW/Audi on their oil filters !

BTW : Nowdays Mann have moved almost all their filter manufacturing to China !!

4th Gear
    Moved to China? Great, everything that seems to be made well gets moved to China, then quality and build specs seem to go downhill. Anything made with Chinese metal seems to be inferior as well.

OP, just use a site like germanfilters.com and get 10 filters (or whatever gets you free shipping) and save some money.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by godspeed
    I think you may be confusing the questions (which is easy to do). the OP has a v6; I was the last to ask for claraification regarding filter part#'s and have a 1.8. but it doesnt really matter
    No, it was everyone ELSE that got confused when things drifted off from the original topic. Do a search! Oil and filters for the 1.8T have only been discussed about a GAZILLION times. *Sigh* But to half answer your question, I was using the NAPA Gold filter until I found a $6 alternative. (Slightly smaller, but I can't argue with $6!) The part number was 51333, I believe.

1st Gear
    OE filter and Castrol Edge for me

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information