Battery and EPC light

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Battery and EPC light

I pulled my car into the garage last night, no problems. i go to leave for work this morning and it won't start. The car cranks and will continue to crank (never letting it go for more than 3-5 secs at a time). Then, i noticed the batter light was on but i didn't figure it was the battery since it would crank fine and also the battery isn't that old. I let it sit for a while and then went back a little while later. I turned the key over and let all the lights come on and go off, but the battery light and the EPC light were still on. I tried cranking again, same thing only this time the oil pressure light comes on and STOP! flashed on the dash. I have had this light before but it was only when sharp cornering and i was low on oil due to a leak, but never just sitting. Any ideas on what it could be? Is the oil pressure light just a result of and electrical issue due to EPC light? Any ideas would help, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Oil pressure light is probably a separate issue, checked the oil and it was low. Put in oil and the light didn't come back on when i retried to start.

1st Gear
    I was able to bring a code reader home tonight.

P0174 - System too lean (bank 2)
    P0171 - System too lean (bank 1)
    P0491 - Secondary Air Injection System insufficient flow (bank 1)
    P0421 (This code was already on there before the issues)

Would any of these lead to the car not starting? When i turn the key over and let all the lights on the dash come on, the EPC, CEL and battery light still stay on. While I am turning it over, the car just sputters and the battery light blinks. Any ideas?

Thanks

1st Gear
    Any ideas?

Overdrive
    The lean warning might contribute to starting issues, if it was bad enough. The SAIP and catalyst problems wouldn't.

1st Gear
    I tried starting again, still no start. However, the oil pressure light kept coming on saying to stop. I checked the oil and there was plenty of oil in it. I did all this in my garage, and no smell of gas at all. I am going to check the fuel pump and relay this afternoon. I realize at this point it could be several different things so from reading, I guess I will start there. If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to throw them out there.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    year? V6 or 1.8T? mileage? what kind of maintenance has been done on it in the past?

1st Gear
    02 GLX 4motion v6 w/ 145k. Maintenance is pretty basic. Did the timing belt and all at about 100k.

1st Gear
    Ok here it comes.

Question number one: Did you only drive the car from the driveway inside tha garage ?

For the lights. The battery ligh has nothing to do whit battery, it abaut the altenator. It the charging voltage drops too low, the light comes on to notify the driver that theres fault on the altenator.

The oilpreasure comes on becose of the crank. If the crankshaft is spinning, so is the oilpump. But, since the starter cant spinn the engine / oilpump fast enough, the oilpreasure is under the minium -> Light goes on.

So so far theres nothing wrong whit the car.

If awnser for the first question is Yeas, it might also explain the lean warning.

If you run the engine only for short time, not allowing it to cut off the riched fuel mixture, it can couse thing called "Glued valve". When you turn the engine off, the riched fuel mixture can wonder freely inside the engine, inside the valve guide, where it starts forming drops. When the fuel drops dry off, it "glues" the valve to the valve guide, leaving the valve open just a litlebit.

In result, the engine wount crank, and the starting sound litle bit like there would be no combustion on the engine.

How to fix it ? Get your self a battery charger, and just crank - crank - crank and crank. Neede to keep on cranking my v6 for abaut 15mins before it fired up.

1st Gear
    Yes, we just pulled it into the garage. I needed the garage to do some woodworking, so i pulled it out and the next day just pulled it back in. It was running rich before the issues, which is why i was surprised there was no fuel smell while having it in the garage.

Also, isn't there a pretty good chance of burning up the starter trying to start the car like this?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith4031 View Post
    Yes, we just pulled it into the garage. I needed the garage to do some woodworking, so i pulled it out and the next day just pulled it back in. It was running rich before the issues, which is why i was surprised there was no fuel smell while having it in the garage.

Also, isn't there a pretty good chance of burning up the starter trying to start the car like this?
    Nope, you dont keep cranking it 15mins on row, 15sec tops at per time and then let it cool a bit. -> repeat.

Also, litle tapping for the cylinder heads whit rubber hammer can sometimes help a bit.

1st Gear
    I took out the spare tire cover and took off the round panel under that with 3 screws. Checked the voltage with a multimeter and there was no power to it. So, I was going to move on to the fuel pump relay. Does anyone have any tips/links to replacing this? Thanks

PZ
    Redline
    The battery and EPC are just from the car not running. Usually it's just a flooded engine when this happens, but you would smell gas. Let us know once you check the relay and fuses.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith4031 View Post
    I took out the spare tire cover and took off the round panel under that with 3 screws. Checked the voltage with a multimeter and there was no power to it. So, I was going to move on to the fuel pump relay. Does anyone have any tips/links to replacing this? Thanks
    The pump doesent run always.

If the fuel line is empty, the pump runs untill it manages to build up the preasure on the fuel system, and then it turns off. When the engine is started, it starts to run again...

1st Gear
    Relay worked. I took it out and took my amp/speaker power and ground wire to test it. So, I got a bottle of heet and a few more gallons of gas. Also, it was finally sunny and above freezing for the first time in several days so I parked it outside in the sun and jumped it from my truck. The combo of all of this and several attempts it reluctantly started.

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information