Cruise Control... do i have it or dont i?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Cruise Control... do i have it or dont i?

Hi all!

I recently bought a 2000 B5 Passat 1.8T ATW from a used car dealer. When i bought the thing i knew the cruise didnt work. The stalk switch is there, and looks to be OEM original, and there apears to be no changes made to the column.

I looked in the fuse panel, and found that there was no #11 fuse or wiring for the #11 fuse in the block. The card indicates that that is the cruise control fuse. I also saw that there was another fuse that showed cruise control and tail lights. It is #31. When i pull the fuse my tailights still worked, because i also have a Tail left and Tail right fuse.

I pulled the glove box out and the carpet up to the seat, and found nothing but a block of wiring on the right kick panel and the airbag module above.

So now, my question... Where are the other possible locations for my cruise module? (btw this is a drive by wire car)

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    If you look at the bottom of your throttle body there should be a vacuum canister with a rod going directly to the throttle wheel on the throttle body. Maybe someone was having issues with it and disconnected the wiring. Weird.

PZ
    Redline
    What country are you in? In the USA, all 2000 Passats had cruise control.

The ATW is DBW, so you will not see a vacuum canister with a rod.

Neutral
    i have already figured out it was drive by wire... and yes, it is in the USA.

again though my question is first of all... where could the cruise control module be? I pulled out the driver's side kick panels and was unable to locate anything either. However, i did find that i have a blown 40A Maxi-fuse. I replaced that and now my aux electric fan seems to work

So is there something i am missing here guys and gals? I cant find a module, one person says they all have cruise... Please help "STOP THE INSANITY"

1st Gear
    Yes, you have cruise. The only description I can find for the module is "J213 Cruise Control Control Module - under instrument panel, passenger side, forward of glove box." That is quoted from the Bentley manual.

The box is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, aluminum colored with one connector on the smallest face. VW location descriptions are notoriously vague and you have been in that area before so it must be well hidden. I am suspecting that it is hiding near the airbag attached to metal bracing of the dash support.

PZ
    Redline
    From what I have heard, the module is bhind the glove box. I have had the stalk fail twice on my 01 B5, but never a module.

1st Gear
    ^Yeah, I'd suspect the stalk first and then the wiring before I worried about the module. If the car's had any aftermarket gear that's hacked into the wiring that could also be a problem.

4th Gear
    With drive by wire cars, there is no cruise module, the ECU takes care of the cruise function. The problem will be the brake/clutch switches not seating properly or the stalk ribbon cable has broken and the stalk needs replace. Those are the primary causes.

If there was a module, it would be above the Glove Box as PZ said. That is where mine is but it is drive by cable.

Neutral
    That is the answer i was looking for... i will go get a new stalk switch today and go from there.... all of the other under dash wiring looks good, no mods or aftermarket equipment has been added. i did also check the brake switch and it is sitting perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

4th Gear
    Find someone with a VAGCOM or you can check the brake switch ( a known sometime problem). The brake switch is about $15 even at the local dealership, the stalk is about 10x that. Look for the stalk online, not the local dealership for best pricing.

Search on this site for threads on how to check the cruise control

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3434133 is for Jetta's but may help
    Last edited by GSO_Passater; 09-24-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added link

Neutral
    I have vcds lite, and a 409.1 data link adapter, and i had already tested the brake switch... i just found it odd that i didnt have a cruise control module come up when it did the module test. I ordered a stalk from ebay for $65 shipped, going to install that and see what happens...

1st Gear
    That link to the vr6 box does not apply.

Your's stalk just has wires going to the ecu and the ecu does everything from there.

There was a link somewhere to check the stalk actuation with VAGCOM but I can't seem to find it.

Other than that check that the ecu is actually activated to do cruise control - see my DIY here
    Passat B5 1.8T Retrofit Cruise Control - DIY

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information