Fading Lcd on Instrument cluster

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Fading Lcd on Instrument cluster

Friends, This topic has been discussed lot of time but i got one more solution for it from other site--
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...r-Pixel-Repair

So after going through it i went to ebay and found one supplier--
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LCD-C...mZ170474173484

According to all above can it be possible to do it on my 2002, 2.0, 4cyl, passat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Careful. the ebay part is a full-screen LCD. i believe yours is a half-height LCD. i've looked and can't locate a supplier for the half-height screen.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by toneman View Post
    Careful. the ebay part is a full-screen LCD. i believe yours is a half-height LCD. i've looked and can't locate a supplier for the half-height screen.
    Mine is full size Lcd, whole of the sceen has light, top portion has fm and lowest has all auto gear details.

1st Gear
    you're in luck then! soldering skills is all it takes. let us know how it goes.

2nd Gear
    My LCD seems to just be affected by the heat, or are there cases of the individual pixels wearing out?

Neutral
    mine by heat as well
    anybody had any luck locating a replacement 1/2 screen lcd
    or any way to replace with full lcd

4th Gear
    If you don't have experience in surface mount soldering, then don't even bother trying to replace the LCD yourself. If you want a full height LCD, get a cluster that has a full height LCD. The controller for the 1/2 height LCD is different than the one for the full height, and won't drive it properly.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by danger_Zone View Post
    Friends, This topic has been discussed lot of time but i got one more solution for it from other site--
    <A href="http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/263498-Official-DIY-2000-Audi-S4-LCD-Instrument-Cluster-Pixel-Repair" target=_blank>http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...r-Pixel-Repair</A>

So after going through it i went to ebay and found one supplier--
    <A href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=5336653656&toolid=10001&mpre=http% 3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2FLCD-CLUSTER-DISPLAY-AUDI-A3-A4-A6-S3-S4-S6-VW-VDO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSIQ26ituQ3d UCIQ252BUAQ252BFICSQ26otnQ3d8Q26pmodQ3d17051437857 0Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d64136770881346457 43QQ_trksidZp4712Q2em263QQcategoryZ38655QQitemZ170 474173484" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LCD-C...mZ170474173484</A>

According to all above can it be possible to do it on my 2002, 2.0, 4cyl, passat.
    I still have no idea about what you said, I'm a beginner, Can you explain it more clearly?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by 024motion View Post
    mine by heat as well
    anybody had any luck locating a replacement 1/2 screen lcd
    or any way to replace with full lcd
    Same here, its hot today and the digital readout has faded but when night falls and its cooler out it is fine...i do not have the patience to try and replace this

It will suck, but I thought there was a place that you could send them and they will fix, and send them back. I will search for the information.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by soundguybob View Post
    If you don't have experience in surface mount soldering, then don't even bother trying to replace the LCD yourself. If you want a full height LCD, get a cluster that has a full height LCD. The controller for the 1/2 height LCD is different than the one for the full height, and won't drive it properly.
    X2. I've been soldering off and on for 40 years, and still don't tackle surface mount stuff if I don't have to.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by pablitormDub View Post
    It will suck, but I thought there was a place that you could send them and they will fix, and send them back. I will search for the information.
    The vendor that does the fix is: http://www.pixelfix.info/
    He was highly recommended by other PW'ers and did a great job on theirs with fast turnaround times and a fraction of the price.

here is the original thread: Instrument Cluster Repairs

1st Gear
    by far, the cheapest route, and the one i took, is to buy a used cluster. i got one off ebay for $39.99 plus shipping -- problem solved and no down time for my car w/o a cluster. this was more than a year ago.

Neutral
    How hard is it to change out the cluster? Is the mileage in the cluster or computer? I'm getting tired of my faded LCD. It's to the point where it needs to be under 60 degrees for me to read it. In central CA that's not too often!

1st Gear
    I was under the assumption that if you installed a new cluster it would need to be reprogrammed, which required Vag-com to do? If not, then yes, buy one off ebay. If I'm right, you need to keep that in mind or you'll have 2 non working instrument panels.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by markstahl View Post
    How hard is it to change out the cluster? Is the mileage in the cluster or computer? I'm getting tired of my faded LCD. It's to the point where it needs to be under 60 degrees for me to read it. In central CA that's not too often!
    It's easy to change the cluster. The mileage is stored in the cluster and can't normally be changed, after it has more than a few miles on it (though I hear there are some hacking tools...). You might want to check with the motor vehicles department where you are. Some states allow you to use a certificate stating the true mileage; most require you either set it to the correct mileage or to zero.

1st Gear
    correcting the mileage is easy as well. there are a few tools out there to do so.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by toneman View Post
    correcting the mileage is easy as well. there are a few tools out there to do so.
    Care to illuminate us on exactly what is needed? This topic comes up frequently, and if you know how to do it, you should pass it along. For honest and legal use only, of course.

4th Gear
    The gold standard to do this is with VAGdashCOM or VAGdashCAN, which will run you $499 Euros and up. http://www.vagdashcom.de/html/bestellung.html If you're really serious about doing this, then this is the setup to get.

There is a cheaper option called Vag-Tacho, but the problem is that the market has been flooded with a cheap knockoff version (what you'll find on eBay, etc.), and the knockoff is notorious for giving bad reads and writes to the cluster's Eeprom, which leaves a very real chance of bricking the cluster. You can take a risk with this version, but I'll be first in line to say "I told you so" if something goes wrong!

Overdrive
    So the options are to pay as much for software as for a new cluster, OR to get cheap software with the possibility of having to buy a new cluster. Toneman, that doesn't sound "easy" to me. Sounds like you may pay more than having a dealer install a new one, or you may pay less. I prefer the idea of sending your cluster out to be rebuilt, or just living with it, like I did.

Neutral
    You probably already got your display fixed, but if you are still having problems with fading with the red lcd pixel display in the center of the instrument cluster, check out LCD Auto Tech it looks like they can fix it for a reasonable price and it 's in the U.S. so it's fast.

23. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information