P0011 and P0012?

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

P0011 and P0012?

Retrieved the P0011 code on my 01 AWM a few weeks ago. I ordered up and replaced the chain tensioner as I was needing to do a VC gasket anyways. The car runs smoother than it ever has since I've owned it after the change but now I've gotten a P0011 code yesterday morning and a P0012 code this morning within a minute or so of starting. The car still runs fine, and after clearing the code both days neither has appeared for the rest of the day. There is no noise coming from the chain area and I removed the VC again to ensure the tensioner is applying adequate force to the chain.

I'd believe the cams were misaligned if the same code kept re-appearing each time the car was started each day but it seems to be a first thing in the morning thing and it was advance one day and retard the next. The cams were spot on when I pulled the VC to check the tensioner.

There was no sludge buildup in the valvetrain area when I replaced the tensioner. I run Mobil 1 10-30. The motor has just over 100k. Other than the CEL, the car runs wonderfully.

Any ideas? Bad replacement tensioner? Clogged oil pickup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    On the way to the dealer tonight for an alignment, the oil light came on and started beeping at my wife. Looks like I may be doing an oil pump and screen soon.

Neutral
    Wow that was so much easier than expected. Replaced the pump, screen and baffle. As it turns out, the pan had been off before prior to my ownership. It appears the shop that did the work broke the original baffle and tried to fiberglass it back together with large amounts of silicone applied to hold it in place. Of course most of that came apart and was lodged in the pickup resulting in my oil pressure issues.
    I hate incompetent mechanics.

Total time invested yesterday was about 6 hours. 1 of those hours was dedicated to driving to the only dealer in town that happened to have the baffle in stock and about 30 minutes was dedicated to lunch. I also helped buddy wire in a LC-1 for his MS'd Jetta.

Neutral
    So the saga continues. Dropped it off at the dealer yesterday for an alignment. While they had it it poped another P0011 CEL and then the oil light came on 2x on the way home. The light only flashed for a few seconds then went away. So far I've replaced the oil pump, pickup, sending unit and cam chain tensioner. I'm using mobile 1 5-30 and the level is topped off.
    I may just stick with my older VWs and give up on the newer generation. I'm averaging about 1 CEL per week and it's draining my account faster than a meth addiction.

Why aren't you using the correct oil weight? It's 5w40.

Neutral
    So are the AWM motors that suseptable to low oil pressure that the 10w difference at higher temps will cause lubrication issues? If so then that's terrible. Most of your quicky oil change shops mainly use 5-30 or 10-30. If this would cause under lubrication then I would expect many of these motors to be smoked pretty quickly as your average passat owner isn't an enthusiast.
    I've been building small peaky european race motors for about 20 years now and never have had a motor that was that finiky on the oil used.

Don't know, nor care. I'm just telling you that you're using the wrong oil. When you use a different oil than spec'd for the car, you are adding that to one of the possiblities.

Have you looked at the Fuel pump relay yet? That's one thing to check for P0011. How's the cam gear on the front lining up in reference to the crank?

Neutral
    Haven't checked the FP relay yet. I did disassemble the top end again to ensure both the belt driven cam gear and the camshafts themselves lined up correctly.

I'll try changing the oil again and see if the oil light stops flashing occasionally.

PZ
    Redline
    While the oil may not be to spec, it should not make the oil pressure drop low enough to set off the light.

You need to get a mechanical oil pressure guage to confirm the pressure. You might just have a bad sensor or bad wiring. Considering the damage found from the last "repair", I would suspect the wiring.

It is possible the engine speed sensor is going bad and throwing the codes for the cam adjuster but I don't know how to test for that.

Neutral
    Sandrunner..did you finally solve the problem of P0012
    Ive still got one, and have changed CCV Fuel PumpRelay (it helped on the VG stop showing a Fuel_Fault code..
    Desludged and have 21 idel 61 4k when hto oil rpressure.
    The Mobil 5W40 synthetic gave me about 2 PSI at idle over 5/30..? coude be enough to have helped. (A mechanical oil gauge for $20 is a great check)

Still havent got rid of P0012 though.
    JohnUSK

Neutral
    Mine seemed to clear itself up after replacing the engine speed sensor as suggested by PZ. It finally started giving an incorrect/no signal dropping the car into limp mode. Changing to a different oil weight got rid of my occasional oil light as my bearings have enough wear from PO negligence to cause bleed off. Bearings may get replaced eventually but I'll probably just build another motor and toss it in on a free weekend.

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information