2005.5 Passat won't start
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2005.5 Passat won't start

30V V6 motor. Tiptronic.

This car was daily driven for weeks. Now it will crank and not start. We've checked and have spark. The plugs were coated in gas. When cranking the car we get a STRONG smell of fuel. Like fill the house strong. The engine specific fuses seem to be okay.

The car did throw a cyl 4 misfire code but it has not reappeared since we cleared it. Cyl 4 has spark.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    Check the timing belt and compression (since it has gas and spark). If they are good, I would pull and clean the plugs and change the coolant temp sensor.

Neutral
    m

3rd Gear
    PZ - What does coolant temp have to do with this? I also have a 99 B5 that is cranking, trying to start, but never catching. Vag com shows coolant temp is registering at 9 deg C. I have spark. Diagnostic shows all injectors operating and fuel pump working. I don't have a strong fuel smell, but def some. Timing belt is still tensioned and turning properly during crank. Crank position sensors are getting voltage. No codes thrown.

It's KILLING me.

mk3
    1st Gear
    search this forum for "car wash syndrome"

it's an odd word for a strange event that happens to some of us. In my case 2 times 5 years apart. In my two cases there was NOTHING wrong with the car but both times it was disabled for a day.

I don't know why it happens but the engine ends up flooded.

To cure a badly flooded engine you either have to wait a LONG time for the plugs to dry out or remove them and get rid of the gas/ dry them. Gasoline is an insulator and it can potentially prevent the spark from jumping if the plug is coated in it. Also the large amount of gas in the cylinder can cause the air/fuel mixture to be non-combustible.

in my case afer 1 day I put the pedal to the floor and cranked... and cranked... and waited... and cranked...etc. and it eventually took off.

The coolant temp sensor is used to determine engine operating parameters so it can be important in cases like this and that is why someone else mentioned it.

3rd Gear
    Finally found the post on car wsh syndrome. Amazing. I'd heard that this could happen, but in 10 years, I had never experienced it. Pushed the pedal to the floor, cranked and cranked and finally fired it off. My baby's back. Is there a sticky on car wash syndrome? There ought to be.

Thanks a lot.

Carl III

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by ckatkinson View Post
    PZ - What does coolant temp have to do with this? I also have a 99 B5 that is cranking, trying to start, but never catching. Vag com shows coolant temp is registering at 9 deg C. I have spark. Diagnostic shows all injectors operating and fuel pump working. I don't have a strong fuel smell, but def some. Timing belt is still tensioned and turning properly during crank. Crank position sensors are getting voltage. No codes thrown.

It's KILLING me.
    Coolant temp tells the car to start rich or lean based on a cold start vs a warm start. If the sensor is bad, the car will always sense a cold start and dump extra fuel to start.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information