2004 rear brakes
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By spider_bambony

Thread: 2004 rear brakes

Neutral

2004 rear brakes

so i want to change my rear brakes this weekend on my 2004 passat. i have never changed brakes on any car ever in my life, what do i need besides new brake pads and how do i change them? please some one help pictures are nice.
    mouzilon likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    check the information forum index thread nice write up with pictures, on my 99 rears you have to use a caliper retraction tool that turns the piston as it pushes it back, you cant just push it in like the fronts. harbor frieght sell this for under $20 when on sale otherwise its $30, you can rent the tool from some auto stores others will tell you more.

2nd Gear
    oh yeah you might as well flush the brakes so brake fluid and a piece of tubeing or a cheap little brake bleeder kit around $5 from harbor frieght.
    on my passat brake flush new pads and rotors is a pretty easy job, just follow the write up.

1st Gear
    Bentley manual says that rear caliper bolts are one-time use and must be replaced.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by bungle View Post
    check the information forum index thread nice write up with pictures, on my 99 rears you have to use a caliper retraction tool that turns the piston as it pushes it back, you cant just push it in like the fronts. harbor frieght sell this for under $20 when on sale otherwise its $30, you can rent the tool from some auto stores others will tell you more.
    how do i find it? there are so many. do you have a link to it?

2nd Gear
    go in the thread on thisa site that says information forum index it has pretty much everything in there, scroll down to brakes click on the bottom thgread, remember to open the bleed nipple when retracting the brake pistons, read the brake and clutch flush thread aswell.

1st Gear
    I just got that piston push back tool from HF last week. Quality was better than expected by HF standards. And, it also will work on the front brakes which don't want the pistons to spin as you push them back.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732
    Still on sale.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by ogai View Post
    Bentley manual says that rear caliper bolts are one-time use and must be replaced.
    Bentley is smoking crack

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Bentley is smoking crack
    A smear of blue lock-tite on the ends and they're good to go!

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by spider_bambony View Post
    so i want to change my rear brakes this weekend on my 2004 passat. i have never changed brakes on any car ever in my life, what do i need besides new brake pads and how do i change them? please some one help pictures are nice.
    Ok...I just did the same thing on my 03 4 days ago so I wanted to chime in. Granted I have done brakes before but I am an amateur when it comes to rears on a Passat. I did however manage to get the job done and they work great.

After the wheel is off you will have to take out 4 bolts. 2 of the bolts you will need an allen wrench, these bolts are behind the rotor. The other 2 I used a socket wrench (for space reasons the socket only worked on one of them) and a open ended wrench even though a box ended wrench would work as well. You will notice the the caliper bolts will keep turning when you try to loosen them so you will need another wrench to hold everything steady. With a little nudge hear and there the caliper should come off and then the other part (held on my allen bolts) should follow. I recommend only loosening the allen bolts, then remove the caliper bolts, then the caliper, and then completely remove the allen bolts. I found out there there is less to get in the way this way. Then secure the caliper with a hanger or something so you don't damage the brake fluid line. At this point you may have taken off the old pads or you can wait. Bang the rotor in a few places to break it free. I used a hammer since that was all I had and it worked fine. After all you are putting new rotors on anyway. My one rotor came right off after a few bangs and the other one took 15 minutes. However it will come off at some point. After cleaning up the area or anything else you might be doing put the new rotor on. I used 2 lug bolts and hand tightened them to hold the rotor in place during the break installation. After cleaning up the caliper and what ever else you have to do you will want to retract the cylinder (ALL THE WAY). I actually rented the tool believe it or not for free from a local Auto Zone but you should buy one if you have the room and you have time for the shipping since it is so cheap on line. I am assuming that our cylinders are the same so in my retracting tool kit there were 2 discs/plates the fit the diameter of my cylinder and I actually liked the one with the shorter nubs on it. I actually got used the disc with the longer nubs and got it jammed in my caliper when trying to retract the cylinder. The tool is pretty easy to used I was just a little over worked and retarded the day that I did my brakes. After the cylinder in retracted all the way start putting the brakes back together. The rest is pretty easy and just remember what you did when you took them apart. After the brakes are back together the lugs can come out and the rotor will stay in place until you get the wheel back on.

Good luck to you. I wanted to help out a little since so many people have helped me.

Neutral
    i got around to doing this on friday, it was a peice of cake with the disc brake caliper tool from harbor freight tools, also bled the brakes using a bleeder pump.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ogai View Post
    Even my dealer didn't have these bolts in stock, so I don't think they are commonly (ever) replaced. I ordered some from ECS, who also didn't have them in stock, and the ones supplied didn't look like the originals, so I used the originals.

Neutral

what size allen wrench

what size allen wrench is used on the 2004 passat front breaks? i've tryed standard and metric

1st Gear
    > Even my dealer didn't have these bolts in stock, so I don't think they are commonly (ever) replaced.

I had a VW shop foreman tell me to just clean them (a little very light sanding if necessary) and wipe on the thinnest imaginable layer of high temp brake part grease on the shafts. Of course I didn't bother becuase they looked fine.

> Even my dealer didn't have these bolts in stock, so I don't think they are commonly (ever) replaced.

If it's really an allen wrench socket head cap screw, then you might need a size with a .5 mm instead of the even mm sizes. Someone on here will know. It might also be something else like torx.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonman View Post
    what size allen wrench is used on the 2004 passat front breaks? i've tryed standard and metric
    8mm I think? nothing special. It is metric though

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information