Shift knob and boot removal?

+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

Shift knob and boot removal?

Hey guys

Car is a '99 Passat 1.8t

Was just wondering if there is any way to remove the shift boot and knob to replace them? And is there any place that sells OEM ones? My interior is beige and the boot is all torn and is losing it's color and the shift knob is gone.

Thanks,
    Elliott

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    I got my shift boot from redlinegoods.com- real leather as opposed to the pleather ours come with. They have instructions there on how to remove the boots.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ctobio View Post
    I got my shift boot from redlinegoods.com- real leather as opposed to the pleather ours come with. They have instructions there on how to remove the boots.
    Thanks. I don't think mine is a short shifter though and not really sure if I want one. Anywhere to get the OEM one? Anywhere for a knob too?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ElliottG View Post
    Thanks. I don't think mine is a short shifter though and not really sure if I want one. Anywhere to get the OEM one? Anywhere for a knob too?
    Uh, the boots they make are for OE applications. If you have a short shifter, they can custom make one, but they default to standard.

Instructions:
    http://www.redlinegoods.com/PassatB5install.shtm

It'll run you about $50. Totally worth it. It is MUCH better than OEM.

As for the knob, there's plenty of sources. The OE can be had at the dealer. There was also a VW Drivergear one that might be nice as well.

3rd Gear
    Uh, the boots they make are for OE applications. If you have a short shifter, they can custom make one, but they default to standard.

Instructions:
    http://www.redlinegoods.com/PassatB5install.shtm

It'll run you about $50. Totally worth it. It is MUCH better than OEM.

As for the knob, there's plenty of sources. The OE can be had at the dealer. There was also a VW Drivergear one that might be nice as well.
    When you say they default to standard do you mean that they can make one for my long shift knob? Because mine isn't one of the short ones...here's a pic of the problem:

3rd Gear
    Yes, they can custom make to length.

Is that shifter the OE length, or is it somehow extended? It looks weird.

3rd Gear
    Yes, they can custom make to length.

Is that shifter the OE length, or is it somehow extended? It looks weird.
    No pretty sure it's OEM...the ones on Jetta's are like that

3rd Gear
    Maybe because the boot is so ratty, it makes me think it's longer than it really is. If it is OEM, then Redline Goods is the way to go. These things are handcrafted in Poland by what I think are Mr. Redline Goods' relatives, but don't let that turn you off. They deliver a top-notch product, and shipping time is reasonable considering. I got mine in about 10-14 days.

Consider getting a charcoal boot. I did mine in charcoal with light gray stitching, and it looks pretty sweet with my light gray interior.

3rd Gear
    Maybe because the boot is so ratty, it makes me think it's longer than it really is. If it is OEM, then Redline Goods is the way to go. These things are handcrafted in Poland by what I think are Mr. Redline Goods' relatives, but don't let that turn you off. They deliver a top-notch product, and shipping time is reasonable considering. I got mine in about 10-14 days.

Consider getting a charcoal boot. I did mine in charcoal with light gray stitching, and it looks pretty sweet with my light gray interior.
    Thanks. Got any pics?

3rd Gear
    Here's mine:

3rd Gear
    Hmmm...don't know...:s but I'd like to get the one that was on my car originally.

3rd Gear
    Then buy one in light gray. Folks here have bought from them before. The light gray seems to match nicely.

3rd Gear
    Alright. Any ideas where to get a shift knob, though?

3rd Gear
    Dealer is one. Search around on this site- there's probably other sources as well.

3rd Gear
    Dealer is one. Search around on this site- there's probably other sources as well.
    Yea...the stealership will probably want $100 for a new knob.

4th Gear

Redline Goods shifter boot

Hi,

I highly recommend the shift boots offered by Redline. I just replaced my OEM shift boot yesterday afternoon with a Redline boot. I have the anthracite colored interior and the boot provided by Redline was a perfect match. My Passat is a 2004 so the boot and shift knob are held in place by a crimp clamp, which I was able to remove and reuse. Yours might be a screw on knob depending on the year. I was a little worried at first when I started to fit the new boot to the frame as it was so tight but the end result was perfect. I have also previously used the shift boot offered by WheelSkins but the quality is inferior to the Redline product line. You can try some of the online parts providers, 1stvwparts, tmtuning, ecs tuning, etc to purchase OEM shift knobs. Good luck.

1st Gear
    If all you want is stock I think you can just go to 1st VW parts or any dealer and ask for a new boot and it will come with a knob. My 02 has one of the clamp on knobs, but i think yours screws on. Dealer will want about $70 for stock pleather or way over a hundred or maybe even 200 hundred, cant remember for real leather. I just got a stock boot and knob from 1st VW for 61.60 shipped. Took about a week.

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information