Vacuum tube identification

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Vacuum tube identification

2002 Passat V6 GLS
    114,000 miles

Bought this car a few months ago and like it a lot. The battery started to die and so I replaced it. It's in the front of the car. While I was in there I found a clear tube with a 90 degree connector just setting there. I looked around, and didn’t find a likely spot to plug it back into… the car runs fine. The tube is to the right of the battery, about center to the car. I can’t tell if it’s a vacuum tube, overflow or whatever. The windshield washer works… any ideas? Oh, this is my first post but I've lurked around for awhile. The advice has helped me allot- maby too much, now I worry about all of the stuff I read about happening to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

If it's clear it should be the vent tube for the battery.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    x2, there really are no 90 degree vacuum tubes other than what's on the v6 for manifold control (that i know of).

Neutral
    I'm not home now, but I can get a picture next week. The vent tube makes sense, but where would it connect to? Or is it there for certain types of batteries, just in case? It's going to keep bugging me till I know. Oh... thanks for the quick replies! It's good to have experience. It wil be usefull when I tackle a real problem like the ABS unit or Timing Belt.

3rd Gear
    Wow...I saw the title of this thread and thought "doesn't that belong in the Mobile Electronics forum?" Oh boy, I just dated myself!

Yeah, that's the vent tube...the factory battery had a vent hole on the top edge.

Neutral
    Oh... I just got it... haven't seen one of those in a while.

I think that's the answer too. It's not long enough to go anyplace else. Thx!

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information